Texas Hunting Forum

Cutco knives

Posted By: Dalee7892

Cutco knives - 06/18/21 07:01 PM

Has anyone heard of this company? Are their knives any good? Lifetime warranty and American made.
My niece is selling them as a part-time job. Naturally my wife bought one.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Cutco knives - 06/18/21 07:42 PM

Knife gurus are probably going to know much better for the price and pick them apart, but all I know is I have both styles of hunting knife that were given to me as gifts. For the last 8 years they have been my number one go to knifes for carrying on hunts, dressing and butchering game.

Re: Cutco knives - 06/18/21 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper John
Knife gurus are probably going to know much better for the price and pick them apart, but all I know is I have both styles of hunting knife that were given to me as gifts. For the last 8 years they have been my number one go to knifes for carrying on hunts, dressing and butchering game.

Which one do you like best the double D or straight?
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Cutco knives - 06/18/21 09:58 PM

I have several of their kitchen knives and will be adding more. They're good.

Re: Cutco knives - 06/18/21 10:13 PM

If anyone is interested in buying any type of knives would you pm me, I would like to help my niece out to make some extra money.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Cutco knives - 06/18/21 11:51 PM

Heard of them, never had one.
Posted By: ErikL

Re: Cutco knives - 06/19/21 12:40 AM

We’ve had em for years growing up. They good in my appraisal
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Cutco knives - 06/19/21 01:24 AM

Never heard of them so looked them up. For their folding knives they are quite pricey for the cheap materials and half made in Asia (99% chance that means china).

Re: Cutco knives - 06/19/21 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by z71dustin
Never heard of them so looked them up. For their folding knives they are quite pricey for the cheap materials and half made in Asia (99% chance that means china).

They are made in New York.

Re: Cutco knives - 06/19/21 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dalee7892

Which one do you like best the double D or straight?

I like both for different purposes. The big hunting knife with the double D was the first knife I was able to skin and cut up a big gator without stopping to sharpen or to swap knifes. And I have skinned more than a few gators. For smaller game I prefer the straight edge.

Re: Cutco knives - 06/19/21 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by z71dustin

They are made in New York.

Parts are made in Asia. Says so right on the webpage for the folding knives

Re: Cutco knives - 06/19/21 03:24 AM

$100 for a plastic handled 440 knife sold in a pyramid scheme format. There are tons of better options
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Cutco knives - 06/20/21 01:59 AM

I have some older ones, they are okay.
Posted By: outnumbered

Re: Cutco knives - 07/15/21 01:21 AM

i have had a serrated blade for 15 plus years that has cut up 4 caribou 1 moose and now lives on my boat and has cut he filets of hundreds of carp for for bait and still cuts as good as new. Never have sharpened it
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Cutco knives - 07/15/21 01:57 PM

I bought each of my brothers a fillet knife with their names engraved in the blades. We love them. I don't know about the other types but the fillet knives are great.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Cutco knives - 07/15/21 02:05 PM

The only experience that I have had with Cutco are kitchen knives from my mother in law's kitchen. Cheap serrated crap. If I found them in the dollar bin at walmart, I'd still pass.
Posted By: Fat Tire

Re: Cutco knives - 07/15/21 03:53 PM

I've looked at them a couple of times at places where they had a tent set up.
The sales people started in with the hard sell so quick, I didn't get a chance to really look at their products.
That turned me off, so I just walked away both times.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Cutco knives - 07/15/21 04:28 PM

A friend of mines mother works for them in NY, and he also worked there for a while on the automation systems. They make Cutco and Kabar. I have the fishing filet knife from them that he gave me, its a pretty good knife, definitely better than a Dexter Russel which has always worked well for me.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Cutco knives - 07/15/21 05:06 PM

A friend's son got in with them and was selling them and we got suckered into a set of kitchen and steak knives. They're actually pretty damn good and hold an edge really well.

They like to do a lot of demo's with their knives when they're showing them to you and the kitchen knives he brought kicked my kitchen knives' butts. When he got to the hunting knives thought I showed him a thing or two.

I had a Cutco hunting knife years ago that I never liked. Just felt cheap. The kitchen knives are a whole different story though. Not sure about the hunting knives they make today, I didn't really pay much attention to what he had.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Cutco knives - 07/15/21 06:23 PM

I've never owned one but I have sharpened some for others.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Cutco knives - 07/18/21 10:36 PM

We helped out a college kid that was selling them about 20 years ago. We have the Homemaker + 8 Set with Block w/ Petite Chef set and they are still just as sharp now as the day they were delivered. I just went and looked at todays price, we payed less than 1/2 of what they cost today.
Posted By: txbigly

Re: Cutco knives - 08/13/21 08:12 PM

Like everything else, They have some cheap ones and some really nice ones. Get the good ones and you will love them.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Cutco knives - 09/09/21 01:02 AM

I have their adjustable filet knife and it is a nice piece no doubt. The kitchen sets are higher than a cats arse though but they appear to be mighty fine knives.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Cutco knives - 09/09/21 03:32 PM

Have one of their fillet knives, had it for years and its been good. Personally Ill take the Dextur over it though.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Cutco knives - 09/09/21 04:01 PM

Had a buddy selling them in the late 90s; they were good back then - you know; before the turn of the century.
Posted By: Nightlight

Re: Cutco knives - 09/14/21 01:09 AM

Sold them 22 years ago and still using them!
Posted By: DavKind

Re: Cutco knives - 09/20/21 11:50 PM

My oldest daughter came home from collage for the summer about 15years ago with a brand new plan to making money selling them. So we ended up with a white set and a black set of kitchen knifes. Still have them and they seem to work pretty good after all these years. When she went back to school and sent everything back to them some how she ended up owing them money . LOL So guess i owed the money. For what the two sets of knifes ended up costing us we probably could have bought 10 sets from your niece and still saved money.
Hope she has better luck then mine did.
Posted By: jbarnett

Re: Cutco knives - 11/03/21 01:45 AM

I have had a set of the kitchen knives for over 20 years and they have been great. I just sent them in and had them sharpened for free. All of the ones that had anything wrong they replaced with new. I have broken some over the years from dropping a cast iron skillet on one to breaking the tip off my pairing knife (multiple times) and they send me a new one. Best warranty in the business. They also have the best scissors. They are expensive but worth it if you break things like i do.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Cutco knives - 11/03/21 09:17 PM

cutco was very good in the "old days" like a lot of others have gone to Asia, Schrade one for instance.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum