Texas Hunting Forum

Fires threatening Gene Howe WMA

Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Fires threatening Gene Howe WMA - 02/28/24 09:42 PM

Does anyone know if the fires northeast of Amarillo are threatening the Gene Howe WMA? Its gotta be bad in that area.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Fires threatening Gene Howe WMA - 02/28/24 10:51 PM

Had to be close but I am not sure how far east of Canadian they got. Not sure how accurate the fire range is on google maps, but it looks like it may be in the burn area as you click on the Pin.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Fires threatening Gene Howe WMA - 02/28/24 11:57 PM

[Linked Image]

It sure looks like it did.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Fires threatening Gene Howe WMA - 02/29/24 09:41 PM

Burned a bunch of it I read.
Posted By: Mistereeee

Re: Fires threatening Gene Howe WMA - 03/01/24 03:23 PM

TPW posted a pretty brutal picture on their Twitter account yesterday...
Posted By: lil_red_ryder

Re: Fires threatening Gene Howe WMA - 03/01/24 05:23 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Fires threatening Gene Howe WMA - 03/01/24 06:32 PM

Very sad. Can anyone tell me if the soils on this WMA are sandy or clay? I ask because an email from the Rolling Plains Quail Research Foundation a couple of days ago describes how habitat and quail come back more quickly on sandy soils than clay.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Fires threatening Gene Howe WMA - 03/01/24 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nolanco
Very sad. Can anyone tell me if the soils on this WMA are sandy or clay? I ask because an email from the Rolling Plains Quail Research Foundation a couple of days ago describes how habitat and quail come back more quickly on sandy soils than clay.

I hunted the northern part of Gene Howe…:: it was deep sand.
Posted By: Nolanco

Re: Fires threatening Gene Howe WMA - 03/02/24 01:58 PM

Here's that paper on quail response to fire. By the way, the Rolling Plains Quail Research Foundation is worthy of every Texas quail hunter's support. Please consider.
https://www.quailresearch.org/quail-response-to-large-scale-wildfires-in-the-tx-panhandle/
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Fires threatening Gene Howe WMA - 03/04/24 12:38 AM

all that country is sand, it will rebound quick. With that said i saw lots of pictures of dead deer and pronghorns
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Fires threatening Gene Howe WMA - 04/25/24 02:50 PM

I made a run up North through Canadian last week, it looked just like the posted pic North and South of town. It still smelled like smoke.
Posted By: Bois D'arc

Re: Fires threatening Gene Howe WMA - 04/25/24 04:23 PM

Sad to hear. I wanted to hunt that place for a long time. The prairie will rebound with some rains, animals will take a while.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum