Texas Hunting Forum

Gene Howe GDE info

Posted By: cos

Gene Howe GDE info - 09/17/22 06:39 PM

A miracle has happened. After 31 years i got drawn for a rifle hunt at Gene Howe WMA near Canadian. Anyone familiar with the area. Timing of the rut. Any neighboring wheat fields? Best area to select and 2nd choice.

thanks
Posted By: Erny

Re: Gene Howe GDE info - 09/17/22 08:00 PM

Congrats on the draw. I drew the doe hunt a couple of weeks after your hunt. Good luck on the hunt!!!
Posted By: bb1379

Re: Gene Howe GDE info - 09/17/22 08:44 PM

They’ll assign you a compartment most likely. We hunted one north of the check station. Shot 2 good bucks. If it’s in November and cold, they’ll be chasing does. Kansas body sized deer. 150-160 potential but I wouldn’t hold out for that. We shot 2 130s. Biggest killed was mid 140s on our hunt. Get elevation, glass, hunt all day if it’s cold. Any cover could hold deer.
Posted By: cos

Re: Gene Howe GDE info - 09/17/22 11:54 PM

Thanks guys. Hunt will be Nov. 14th thru 18th. Hope their chasing.
Posted By: gettinbirdie

Re: Gene Howe GDE info - 09/18/22 06:15 AM

Grats and good luck! I applied for it but no cigar this go’round. Maybe next year.
I’ll be watching for your pictures!
Posted By: bnf62

Re: Gene Howe GDE info - 09/23/22 11:44 AM

It’s a miracle for us too. I had 30 years of preference points built up and submitted with my wife and oldest daughter. Does anyone know how pastures or compartments would be rated from best to worst? What is the average buck harvest during the Gene Howe GDE hunt from year to year. It list 40% success rate from last year but I would assume there were a bunch of does harvested also. It looks like there is a chance to harvest a good buck there. Can anyone supply any additional information?
Posted By: bb1379

Re: Gene Howe GDE info - 09/24/22 06:26 AM

go look at their facebook page. they have kills on there.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Gene Howe GDE info - 09/24/22 01:53 PM

Congrats and good luck!
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Gene Howe GDE info - 09/25/22 02:42 AM

I drew the doe hunt for later on in Nov. hope to pull at least one for meat out of there.
Posted By: TeamC

Re: Gene Howe GDE info - 09/25/22 06:00 AM

Congratulations looks like a good hunt I been entering that one for a while now after seeing some monsters bucks killed on there Facebook page
Posted By: FXfromTX

Re: Gene Howe GDE info - 10/09/22 07:05 AM

I grew up in Canadian and spent a lot of time out on the Gene Howe from 2004-2016. I never did put in for the deer hunts but spent a bunch of time out there dove/quail hunting and fishing. There are some giants in the area. I actually hit a probably 145” deer in my pickup on Lake Marvin Road right at the East turn-in to DeArment my senior year of high school. A lot of Gene Howe is sand hills and sage brush other than the small parts that have the Canadian River and Persimmon creek bottoms. There weren’t wheat fields close back then, but just to the West of the headquarters/check-in station safety zone is a pretty big hay meadow along the river bottom that would definitely be a point of interest if I was hunting it. I also have always liked the South Williams area which borders at least 3,000 un-hunted acres which includes some great improved hay fields right on the public/private property line. Back when I was in high school the neighboring land owner fed protein year-round despite rarely hunting the place unless one of his kids showed interest that year. North Williams similarly borders thousands of un-hunted acres though it lacks much other than sand hills and the occasional clump of trees.
Posted By: FXfromTX

Re: Gene Howe GDE info - 12/07/22 05:08 AM

cos, how did it go?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum