Texas Hunting Forum

Archery deer category...

Posted By: TexasATC

Archery deer category... - 07/01/22 11:27 PM

I'm up to 9 loyalty points on this one (including this years entry)so... Which one would you target? Am I getting close to getting drawn? I have Garner SP and Enchanted Rock SNA circled. Would love an opportunity at an Axis deer. Any suggestions for me? Thanks
Posted By: Erny

Re: Archery deer category... - 07/02/22 03:09 PM

The drawing is random with your points being cubed. There is no set number of points that will guarantee you will be drawn. You just have a better chance the more you have. Pretty much any hunt that has axis deer will be very long odds of drawing. If you don’t apply you can’t draw.

Here is a link that has info on how the point system in Texas works.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/public_hunt_drawing/faqs.phtml

Good luck in the draws

Re: Archery deer category... - 07/02/22 03:45 PM

Thanks for the reply! I'm aware of the system. Just curious if anyone had any insight or advice on which hunt or hunts to start focusing on. I'd hate to draw, for example Abilene state park after putting 9 years into the category, that make sense?
Posted By: Erny

Re: Archery deer category... - 07/02/22 04:10 PM

Yes it does make sense. It’s a tough decision under the current point cubing system. I too am pretty protective of my points when I get more than 5 or so.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Archery deer category... - 07/07/22 03:48 AM

Just put in for both places. Maybe you’ll get lucky on one of them.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Archery deer category... - 07/07/22 12:21 PM

We just got back from being at Garner for the week, this was the first time in a couple of years I didn't see any Axis. We saw white tail and turkey in the mornings and evenings. Every evening I'd usually see the herd of axis just below the rangers station at the edge of the brush line, but not so much this year. It's also super hot and dry, so they may have been coming out super late.
Posted By: Slo_One

Re: Archery deer category... - 07/07/22 12:50 PM

I hunted Enchanted Rock in February for doe/spike. According to the hunt manager the only exotics that were seen by park personnel last year were a few mouflon.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Archery deer category... - 07/07/22 01:52 PM

Good luck to whatever decision you make. I have 10+ points in multiple categories, so I am super selective of where I put in for now.
Posted By: salth2o

Re: Archery deer category... - 07/07/22 01:55 PM

The success rate is very low for this hunt overall. I've hunted Enchanted Rock and no one saw any exotics.

My son shot an axis this past season at Garner on a youth gun hunt. I'd pick Garner with the expectation it will be a tough hunt and you are going to have to get in their kitchen to get a shot on one with a bow.
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Archery deer category... - 07/07/22 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Erny
Yes it does make sense. It’s a tough decision under the current point cubing system. I too am pretty protective of my points when I get more than 5 or so.

I have been getting protective of my points in the 10+ range. Alligator, exotic, mule deer, pronghorn... something has to hit before long. Now that I got baby coming this winter, I am point gathering rather than looking to hunt. Next year, I will start trying to win again.
Posted By: yakinthebox

Re: Archery deer category... - 07/08/22 09:54 AM

Seems like you're only interested in Exotics so the 2 you're interested in are your best bet in that specific category.

But if you're interested in a big WT, It'd be hard to look beyond Matador WMA or Chaparral.

Re: Archery deer category... - 07/11/22 03:13 PM

Thanks guys for the relies. That's certainly something to consider.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum