Texas Hunting Forum

Quail?

Posted By: BobbyWB

Quail? - 03/23/21 01:27 AM

I'm totally new to public hunting, but the sticky at the top of this forum is helpful with all the links.

FYI - I ran a quick search for "quail" and only saw two posts about it, and neither had what I was looking for. So, I'm posting the question here. Let me know if this has been talked about already & send me the link...

Question 1: What are some public hunting spots that have good quail? I'm in the Austin area & willing to travel a few hours for the right spot.

Question 2: Are hunting dogs allowed on all public hunting spots, or does it vary by location? I'm curious if I can bring my dog with me to hunt quail.

Thanks!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Quail? - 03/23/21 06:25 PM

Chaparral Wildlife management area is near you. They allow bird dogs.
Posted By: BobbyWB

Re: Quail? - 03/23/21 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

Chaparral Wildlife management area is near you. They allow bird dogs.

Thank you!

Re: Quail? - 03/23/21 11:41 PM

The Matador Wildlife Manage area has much more land. They are up in Cottle County.
Posted By: RGVshooter

Re: Quail? - 03/24/21 02:30 AM

I hunt the public WMA's in the RGV area. Not a lot of quail but if you're willing to do a lot of walking, you'll might get 1-3 birds. The Chaparral WMA is probably your best bet that's within reasonable driving distance from SA.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Quail? - 03/24/21 03:28 AM

Lake Meredith WMA NE of Amarillo offer Quail hunting. Don't know the numbers or about dogs.

https://www.nps.gov/lamr/planyourvisit/hunting.htm

Re: Quail? - 03/24/21 11:47 AM

Quail numbers are down all over Texas. It is not just the WMAs. I found THF years ago while looking for the quail forecast.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Quail? - 03/30/21 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Quail numbers are down all over Texas. It is not just the WMAs. I found THF years ago while looking for the quail forecast.

bang too many predictors. ?
Were lived usdta see a covey every now & then...
Twas told fire ants made it tough on em...
confused2 twas thinker habitat, (food,cover) also played a roll...
scratch also generous legal limits plays a roll...
The OSBWMA tis covered with oak trees. Some trails tis like walking on marbels..
Yet during archery season seen very few squirrels, tis thinking over hunted...
Thar squirrels thar, but for as big as it is, seen more on golf courses...

cheers Hope the #'ers come back, did lots of bird hunten since late 50's goose, ducks, pheasant, pattrage..
Hardly see partrage any more...
Best wish's...
Social distancing from MN...
flag
Posted By: shadowwolffe

Re: Quail? - 04/30/21 01:55 PM

Defiantly fire ants. They eat the eggs, also that's what's eating the eastern timber rattler eggs.

It's not as fun but raising quail is relatively cheap and easy
Posted By: booskay

Re: Quail? - 05/01/21 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by shadowwolffe

It's not as fun but raising quail is relatively cheap and easy

This is pretty much what quail hunting is coming down to.

Re: Quail? - 05/01/21 11:44 PM

This was a pen raised quail.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hunter307

Re: Quail? - 07/03/21 12:26 AM

Anyone know why the use of bird dogs are not allowed at big bend state park for the quail hunt?
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Quail? - 07/03/21 12:53 PM

Great pic Bill
Posted By: nak

Re: Quail? - 08/01/21 10:07 PM

A lot of the WMAs and national grasslands do mot allow off lease dogs. I have asked your question multiple times, but never gotten a good answer.

My belief is that it is the prevalence of dangerous breeds that are not under solid voice command control.

It’s hard to find an aggressive pointing dog, but you cannot really regulate the breed you allow people to hunt with.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Quail? - 08/16/21 10:30 PM

I went to the Chap a couple years ago and had 3 finds, didn’t harvest any birds. It was my most productive trip, have been a few times over the years. The Matador may be the place to go this season. I’ve been once, had a few finds, took one bird. Both of these places are big, takes a while to learn them.
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: Quail? - 08/17/21 08:23 PM

I got drawn for a multi species hunt at Chapp 2 years ago I went to deer hunt but took my dog just in case. Middle of the day we walked the wet areas in my compartment. There were a few others there to o KY hunt quail, had hauled dog boxes on trailers. I talked the the check station the last night (there was still a morning hunt til 11) but nobody had shot quail up to that point. I took 1 quail and 1 deer. It was hot and conditions were terrible. I we beyond elated with our 1 bird. Lost another, shot a double but only found 1.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum