Texas Hunting Forum

Applying for multiple hunts in the same category???

Posted By: Old Smuggler

Applying for multiple hunts in the same category??? - 08/19/20 06:22 PM

I can not seem to find the answer online but I remember in the past you could only apply for 1 hunt per category? Is that still the case or can I apply for several areas in the same category. Example gun deer - applying in 2 or more of the available hunts?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted By: cm7727

Re: Applying for multiple hunts in the same category??? - 08/19/20 07:13 PM

You can apply for multiple hunts within a category.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Applying for multiple hunts in the same category??? - 08/19/20 11:58 PM

You can apply for all of them ever for the youth hunts. They are limited to three hunts in a category
Posted By: DeleteThisAccount

Re: Applying for multiple hunts in the same category??? - 08/20/20 04:48 PM

I submitted like 100ish applications and the only category I ran into any limitations on was US Forest Service Antlerless Deer Permits....can apparently only apply for one of those permits - I chose Sam Houston although the Alabama Creek WMA was probably a better choice.
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Applying for multiple hunts in the same category??? - 08/20/20 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Binary
I submitted like 100ish applications and the only category I ran into any limitations on was US Forest Service Antlerless Deer Permits....can apparently only apply for one of those permits - I chose Sam Houston although the Alabama Creek WMA was probably a better choice.

If it werent for the anterless tag I'd have a hard time hunting the Sam Houston as much as I do. I've been lucky to get one every year I've put in - but that's only been a few years now
Posted By: Old Smuggler

Re: Applying for multiple hunts in the same category??? - 08/20/20 07:57 PM

Appreciate the info. Wish I asked before the archery draws but will definitely load up on the gun hunts.
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Applying for multiple hunts in the same category??? - 08/29/20 03:22 AM

You have been allowed to apply for as many hunts in the category as you wish since 2014, youth hunt were modified in 2017? because people were abusing the system.
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Applying for multiple hunts in the same category??? - 08/29/20 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by bossbowman
You have been allowed to apply for as many hunts in the category as you wish since 2014, youth hunt were modified in 2017? because people were abusing the system.

Curious, how was the system being abused?
Posted By: mickeyhft

Re: Applying for multiple hunts in the same category??? - 08/29/20 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj

My understanding is that it was being "abused" by people applying for lots of hunts in the youth category because there was no application fee and no hunt fee. So that flooded the system, but the "abuse" was that then those people would not even show up for the hunts and they were ending up with lots of empty slots on hunts that were not being utilized. So the limit was put in place to encourage more responsible application which was believed would help the show up, and therefore, utilization rate of the hunting opportunity. It is my understanding that has worked pretty well, though the no show rate for the youth hunts, presumably because there is no skin in the game due to no fee having to be paid, is still much higher than the adult hunts that have a hunt fee.
Posted By: bigdavehunting

Re: Applying for multiple hunts in the same category??? - 09/13/20 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by mickeyhft

My understanding is that it was being "abused" by people applying for lots of hunts in the youth category because there was no application fee and no hunt fee. So that flooded the system, but the "abuse" was that then those people would not even show up for the hunts and they were ending up with lots of empty slots on hunts that were not being utilized. So the limit was put in place to encourage more responsible application which was believed would help the show up, and therefore, utilization rate of the hunting opportunity. It is my understanding that has worked pretty well, though the no show rate for the youth hunts, presumably because there is no skin in the game due to no fee having to be paid, is still much higher than the adult hunts that have a hunt fee.

All they have to do to stop this; is charge a 100.00 fee and if you show for the hunt a refund will be sent to you. A no show gets no refund
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Applying for multiple hunts in the same category??? - 09/13/20 03:24 PM

Sounds like a great opportunity for stand-by's. When my boy gets old enough I will probably take him.
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Applying for multiple hunts in the same category??? - 09/15/20 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by bigdavehunting
Originally Posted by mickeyhft

All they have to do to stop this; is charge a 100.00 fee and if you show for the hunt a refund will be sent to you. A no show gets no refund

And for the adult hunts just charge the entire permit fee and then refund it, thats what New Mexico does
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum