Texas Hunting Forum

Moving to Texas need some help

Posted By: Mtnarcher

Moving to Texas need some help - 09/03/15 05:29 PM

I am moving from Colorado where I have hunted mule deer and elk for the past 15 years. I have been some what successful but public land hunting is a challenge everywhere.
I am moving to the Rockwall area and need a little help finding places where I can hunt whitetails and what the seasons are. As well as what i need for licenses or endorsements.
Thanks guys hope you can help me out.
Posted By: Harrier

Re: Moving to Texas need some help - 09/03/15 06:40 PM

Pretty much everything you need is here: http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/. You'll need a regular TX hunting license as well as an Annual Public Hunting Permit. Depending on your age you may also need a hunters education certificate.

Most of the places to hunt whitetails will be in East Texas. There are some other places scattered around where you can hunt hogs and small game, and there are plenty of places for dove hunting. Good luck!
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Moving to Texas need some help - 09/03/15 09:47 PM

Sent you a P.M.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Moving to Texas need some help - 09/04/15 02:35 AM

welcome ta THF Best wishes flag
Posted By: rickym

Re: Moving to Texas need some help - 09/04/15 03:02 AM

welcome your best luck if you can afford it is a lease or guided hunt. Public hunting has gotten pretty tough, even some of the draw hunts
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Moving to Texas need some help - 09/04/15 02:13 PM

This should be of some help.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/348583
Posted By: Mike H.

Re: Moving to Texas need some help - 09/05/15 02:20 AM

Welcome to Texas, where we've got hardly any public land (compared to Colorado)...at least we don't have personal income tax!

Anyhoo, don't be afraid to call up (or shoot an email to) the WMA biologists listed in "The Book" that another poster linked to above; these guys are invaluable and most know their respective territories much better than even the great folks on this site! After all, they work out there every day!

I, for one, can publicly call out Luke Baker at the White Oak Creek WMA where I frequent...he's been awesome!

Mike H.
A former Colorado resident
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Moving to Texas need some help - 09/05/15 04:58 PM

Lots of good info.. My 2cents Fitst got here 30 yrs ago, leases were $200.00-$250.00 for 1deer county... No WMA's close... Took family ta lease, No restriction on bucks, up ta person holding tag.... Every one has, own stand for opening weelend... After opening week end... We had name tag & board with all stands, we could switch out.. Food plots,, also had weekend work days every one chipped in, & voted on rules.... If ya got something, some one had ATV or could drive truck ta get it back ta camp...
They opened WMA down road, $40.00 permit, went up ta $48.00 they used ta send booklet of all WMA & first few years with results of last years hunts.. Each WMA has it own rules... They have draw hunts, usualy $10.00-$15.00 ta aply, no refund.. If drawn cost extra, depending type hunt... Most No ATV walk in, drag, or as i done backpac out... Best Wishes.... flag
Posted By: ALM TXhunter

Re: Moving to Texas need some help - 09/06/15 02:23 PM

Public hunting lands are beat up, and hunting them requires all of the hunting skills you got to harvest an animal. Hunting during the week days are best as you can surprisingly find yourself among very few people compared to weekends. Also you can consider applying for drawn hunts, which you might have better success. IMO
Posted By: Mtnarcher

Re: Moving to Texas need some help - 09/07/15 02:09 AM

Thanks everyone for all of this great info. I'm ready to start my new hunting chapter for whitetails. Hunting mule deer and elk have taught me a lot about hunting but hunting whitetails is a whole new ball game for me. So thanks again for all of your help. Best of luck to you fellow hunters this season
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum