Texas Hunting Forum

trail camera in public hunting land

Posted By: timawa

trail camera in public hunting land - 09/15/13 12:00 AM

Ok, I know, it's dumb hammer to put trail camera in public hunting land. All of you will say "scouting is the best" but I guess to capture every game activity for the whole day in one place is using trail camera (video). It's undetectable even to other hunters if you manage to conceal it really good.

So does anybody here been successful of hiding trail camera? I know it's supposed to be secret but any tips/advice on how to?

Thanks.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: trail camera in public hunting land - 09/15/13 12:27 AM

I've seen folks use fake plant materials from Hobby Lobby.

Last year I stuck one out and tried to use natural foliage from the area. It interfered with the infrared and I wasn't getting any pics.

Best thing to do, buy the least expensive camera, do your best to hide it, and just take the risk.

One thing I've heard to try is to hang the trail came high and the tree and point down.
Posted By: TRoberts

Re: trail camera in public hunting land - 09/15/13 01:24 AM

They make lockable boxes that you can put cameras in. That would be our best bet for security of the camera.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: trail camera in public hunting land - 09/15/13 02:38 AM

One thing to be careful of is putting any kind of nails or screws in the trees. That will get you in trouble in a national forest.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: trail camera in public hunting land - 09/15/13 02:58 AM

I think in the long run you will lose a camera, and the deer you see on the pics will probably not be there. Better to scout looking for trails off of the beaten path away from the crowds.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: trail camera in public hunting land - 09/16/13 05:54 AM

yep, place some brush around it confused2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum