Texas Hunting Forum

Pulsar Axiom Monocular

Posted By: Stompy

Pulsar Axiom Monocular - 02/10/24 10:26 PM

Anyone have one? I'm in the market for a thermal monocular for the ranch. Thoughts, reviews and options welcome. Thanks
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Pulsar Axiom Monocular - 02/11/24 01:16 AM

I have the XQ35 Axion 2. I love it. Battery lasts all night.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Pulsar Axiom Monocular - 02/11/24 01:36 AM

Thanks nxt, so those are about $2k it seems. At what distance were those pics?

Re: Pulsar Axiom Monocular - 02/11/24 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Stompy
Thanks nxt, so those are about $2k it seems. At what distance were those pics?

They had a sale on them a few months ago and they were 1299.00 most places. Not sure if that’s still going on. About 40 yards on the hogs and 75 on the buck tending the scrape.

Re: Pulsar Axiom Monocular - 02/11/24 07:21 AM

I also have a pulsar 4.1 optical scanner that does provide better long range image quality but the FOV is much less so the axion is better suited for the distances I can see on my ranch. The 4.1 was difficult for predator hunting at my ranges. In very open fields the 4.1 would be better suited though.
Posted By: Master Plumb

Re: Pulsar Axiom Monocular - 02/11/24 12:43 PM

Im looking for something up to 400-500 yard range do they make them?
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Pulsar Axiom Monocular - 02/11/24 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Master Plumb

I bought an AGM Sidewinder 35mm monocular (TM35-384 3-24X) almost a year ago. At that time it was roughly $2,200 plus tax. You can certainly see things (hogs, deer) at 500 yards. It might be a stretch to say you can identify them at that distance, but you can certainly distinguish them by their behavior. I hunt over a 50 acre rectangular field so I'm scanning at distances of up to 600 yards. At that distance I can easily see a lone boar, although I cannot positively identify it. That is, I can't absolutely know that it is or is not a hog. But, I can tell that it MIGHT be a hog and that it warrants further investigation.
A 640 optic would undoubtedly offer better results, but at greater expense. All in all, I'm happy with what I got.

Re: Pulsar Axiom Monocular - 02/11/24 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Master Plumb

With my big spotter, I can identify if it's a cow or a coyote at 500 yards, but can I identify if it's a coyote or a yearling deer? I can't.
Posted By: duffas

Re: Pulsar Axiom Monocular - 02/12/24 06:36 PM

You can't afford an IR that will positively ID a target @ 500. Sorry.

Re: Pulsar Axiom Monocular - 02/12/24 09:00 PM

hammer
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum