Texas Hunting Forum

Scope help

Posted By: aggiegolfer09

Scope help - 12/01/17 12:25 AM

Looking for a new scope for a 6.5 CM. Will use for hunting and target shooting. I have a vortex pst 4-16 now but want to upgrade

Couple things i am looking for
-would like something with a low end of 4 or 5 and high of 20 or more
-exposed turrets
-budget $1000 to $1200

Here are a couple i am thinking of

Vortex pst2 5-25- Like the reticle and magnification
Vortex
Rudolf tactical 6-24- heard good things about glass. Low end of 6 is a little high for short shots
rudolph
Nightforce SHV 5-20
Nightforce
Burris 4-20 xtr ii-
Burris

Any recommendations?

Posted By: J.G.

Re: Scope help - 12/01/17 12:29 AM

I vote Burris.

Viper PST turrets are too easy to turn.

The jury is out with me, on the NF SHV. The one that showed up on my range, had turrets that felt mushy. But the owner loved the scope.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Scope help - 12/01/17 01:17 AM

Don’t pick a scope with a reticle that doesn’t work for you. One reason I like the PST2 is because the EBR-2C reticle is so nice.

They’re all good options IMHO. I would also consider some used models in your price range: Bushnell ERS, SWFA HD, Steiner T5xi, Vortex Gen 1 Razor, and some I’m probably forgetting.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: Scope help - 12/01/17 01:18 AM

From the list I’d go with the Burris.
Have you looked into any of the bushnell line? They have a few in your range and glass is great.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Scope help - 12/01/17 02:26 AM

Burris XTR II cheers
Posted By: red bluff

Re: Scope help - 12/01/17 11:55 AM

Has anyone put the Nikon Black 1000 to the test yet? I have noticed pricing to be @ 800 on it.
Posted By: glb1955

Re: Scope help - 12/01/17 12:07 PM

If you like Vortex then maybe stick with it. I have never used Nightforce but friends use them and like them. I have to defer to Jason with regards to Burris. They work for him and I won't discount his opinion.
I have Vortex on several of my rifles and they work well for me. Have a PST2 coming to replace a Zeiss.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Scope help - 12/01/17 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: red bluff
Has anyone put the Nikon Black 1000 to the test yet? I have noticed pricing to be @ 800 on it.
Buddy at work has the Nikon Black X1000. I haven't had a chance to see it in person yet. The specs look nice, but it is SFP, which means you gotta be careful about using subtensions at magnifications other than 18x. I don't mind SFP in something like a 3-15 (actually prefer it), but I wouldn't want SFP in a scope with max magnification at 20x or higher. JMHO
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Scope help - 12/01/17 02:05 PM

You would be impressed by the 5/25 pst 2

The Nikon black turrets are hideous. I hope they fix them
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Scope help - 12/01/17 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
You would be impressed by the 5/25 pst 2

The Nikon black turrets are hideous. I hope they fix them

I've only seen one, but I thought the elevation turret on the PST 2 I looked at was mushy (it was brand new, too).
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Scope help - 12/01/17 02:31 PM

I can agree with that. There is not a perfect scope in that price range but I believe it's the best one
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Scope help - 12/01/17 03:43 PM

I run 2 Burris XTR ii 4-20 right now and considering a 3rd for the money I think the are hard to beat.
Posted By: Bart H

Re: Scope help - 12/03/17 12:40 PM

I do some freelance work for Nikon and I have been using Nikon's BLACK X1000 scopes for about 9 months. I think that for the $ you get a lot of features and the expected repeatable consistant accuracy. I have been using this scope on a pair of 6.5 CM's that I have used to shoot targets at over 700 yards with great success. I also have buddies using the same scope on different rifles who couldn't be happier with the features Nikon put into this optic. For the price it is definitely worth taking a look at.

Posted By: maxhunter262

Re: Scope help - 12/09/17 12:58 PM

I have Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50mm scope. Sent it back to Votex for repair.
The scope does not hold zero in-between the last three trips to the field and range. Recently I have ordered a new scope by ATN https://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-weapon-sight. Works fine for me!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum