Texas Hunting Forum

Vortex Daimondback

Posted By: Sirrah243

Vortex Daimondback - 10/20/16 06:23 PM

I need to replace the scope on my Rem 600 Mohawk chambered in 243. Its not my primary rifle just one I like to shoot every once in awhile and would be a back up if my primary went down. I'm thinking of getting the 4x14x40 V-Plex.

Anybody here have experience with this line of Vortex scopes?
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Vortex Daimondback - 10/20/16 10:07 PM

Tried one the other day and was less than impressed. Given I was in a store and the glass seemed great at low magnification, once up at 8-9 plus eye relief was terrible.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Vortex Daimondback - 10/20/16 11:14 PM

For my eyes the only Vortex that doesn't have bad eye relief is a Razor.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Vortex Daimondback - 10/21/16 01:56 PM

I used to have a 3-9x40 with the BDC reticle on my .243. I enjoyed shooting it, took my first doe ever with it. The next season I found a good deal on a used Vortex Viper PST FFP so I jumped on it.

I since sold the Diamond back I used mainly because I like the Mil/Mil FFP scopes now. I don't think there is anything wrong with the Vortex Diamondback line of scopes and I have shot most if not all the lines they offer.

As far as eye relief, I never had an issue with it. I never hesitate to buy Vortex because their warranty is outstanding. I have used it twice and they truly set the standard for the market.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Vortex Daimondback - 10/22/16 09:44 AM

This is my rule of thumb and I don't expect anyone to follow it but me. I believe you can get a good 3-9 scope for $200.00. For a 4-14 scope I wouldn't spend less than $400.00. It costs a lot more money to make a good scope with a 4-14 zoom range than it does to make one with a 3-9.

I also don't believe Vortex markets a Diamondback in 4-14x40.
Posted By: TexasVine

Re: Vortex Daimondback - 10/27/16 03:33 AM

I have the Vortex HST 4X16 and I'm very pleased with it.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Vortex Daimondback - 10/27/16 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Sirrah243
I need to replace the scope on my Rem 600 Mohawk chambered in 243. Its not my primary rifle just one I like to shoot every once in awhile and would be a back up if my primary went down. I'm thinking of getting the 4x14x40 V-Plex.

Anybody here have experience with this line of Vortex scopes?

For its price it's a very good scope. I was actually surprised and impressed by the line. But haven't used one with that much mag.

Posted By: caddokiller

Re: Vortex Daimondback - 11/08/16 10:03 PM

Piece of junk IMO.
Posted By: r_u_sharp_2

Re: Vortex Daimondback - 11/09/16 03:06 AM

Diamondbacks is a good value scope. I ran a 3x9 on my 270 until I recently "upgraded" to the Viper HS 4x16. I would have no issue putting a Diamondback on any of my rifles if that was my range.
Posted By: Troubador

Re: Vortex Daimondback - 11/09/16 05:19 AM

i have always heard good about Viper scopes and yesterday i went to bass pro and held several Vortex and me personally i was VERY disappointed in the light of these scopes. i held up the vortex and then leupold and Burris and the Leupold and Burris way noticably brighter and had better light. all these scopes were under 400. i wasn't comparing a cheap vortex with a 1500 leupold
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Vortex Daimondback - 11/17/16 11:32 AM

While this is a diamondback thread, I have the crossfire 4x12 and I have no complaints. My shots are at 350 yards at most and the scope works as it should. If you're long range hunting or shooting, a Nightforce would probably be the way to go. But it's also 10x the cost.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum