Texas Hunting Forum

Hunt with ATN X-Sight?

Posted By: huntpp23

Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/02/16 03:20 PM

Does anyone hunt with the ATN X-Sight Smart Scope? I have read the quality is not as good as a normal scope but its technology capabilities seem well worth the purchase. Looking to use it for hogs and deer 120 yards and in. Any feedback from the forum on this scope??

http://www.atncorp.com/x-sight-night-vision-rifle-scope-3-12x
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/02/16 05:21 PM

Read thru all the other postings on here about the ATN. Some good a lot not so good.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/02/16 08:49 PM

I have an X-Sight 3-12 and its closest competitor, which is the Sightmark Photon XT 4.6. The X-Sight has better image quality, day or night. Without mentioning any other features that may or may not work, I reall like the X-Sight for hunting at night.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/02/16 08:58 PM

Dale and ITRDM bring up an interesting conundrum. The X-sight has a much better day image and the night image is very good, when not flickering. The Photon isn't quite so nice. The X-sight's (noted by Dale) have a history of issues. Maybe you get a good scope, maybe not. The Photons just plain seem to work. So the gamble is whether you end up with something better or something worse than the Photon, or just pick the Photon.

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/02/16 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Dale and ITRDM bring up an interesting conundrum. The X-sight has a much better day image and the night image is very good, when not flickering. The Photon isn't quite so nice. The X-sight's (noted by Dale) have a history of issues. Maybe you get a good scope, maybe not. The Photons just plain seem to work. So the gamble is whether you end up with something better or something worse than the Photon, or just pick the Photon.

I was lucky with my X-Sight compared to many others. The screen hasn't flickered or dimmed excessively, and I've never updated the firmware. I don't even know what version I'm running. Video recording works fine on my scope too, so that's a bonus.

One thing I don't like about the X-Sight is the boot time. It takes several seconds to boot up after I press the power button. This is a pain in the butt when I'm hunting at night because I don't leave the scope on continuously. The Photon turns on immediately after pressing the power button, so that's something else to consider.

If I think of anything else that might be useful to you, I'll post it. cheers
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/02/16 09:42 PM

I've stopped hunting with both my X-sights , the flickering is just too much of a turnoff.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/03/16 01:26 AM

I'm happy with my 5-18.

Charlie
Posted By: texashunter900

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/04/16 01:47 AM

I have had the x sights and I have a photon.
Using the Photon during the day is useless. Holding up the heavy x sight on a gun builds arms and back strength.
The photon is simple straight forward going to work at a 4.6 magnification. The x sight can zoom in closer day or night if the batteries don't die.

I will probably try the x sight ii just to see if it works but I will hang on to the Photon just in case.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/04/16 03:48 AM

I own both the x sight and the photon. I only use then for night hunting. I have a doubler on the photon and can see a lot further than my xsight.
I hunt with the photon. The x sight sits in the safe unless someone wants to hunt with it.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/04/16 02:01 PM

I have an older Photon 5X.
It just works.
The only thing I don't like about it is when recording, the reticle doesn't show up in the video (the newer Photon XT does).
It has been used to harvest LOTS of hogs and still does.

I had 2 XSights.
The only thing I like about them is they are GONE!

I know the limitations and accept the fact that they are night vision scopes.
However, I have arrived at the stand in the afternoon and shot pigs in broad open daylight with the Photon 5X so it does work in daylight.
I also sight all my digital scopes in during the day.
I print a 5" black dot on white paper and use that as a target.
It is interesting that the Photon records in color but shows greyscale inside scope.

Posted By: Stealthjr

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/04/16 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: texashunter900
Using the Photon during the day is useless. Holding up the heavy x sight on a gun builds arms and back strength.
The photon is simple straight forward going to work at a 4.6 magnification. The x sight can zoom in closer day or night if the batteries don't die.

I will probably try the x sight ii just to see if it works but I will hang on to the Photon just in case.

I have the photon and your statement about hunting during the day being useless puzzles me. What, in your opinion, makes it "useless"? I've had zero issues during the day, everything is perfectly clear, and have killed 6 out of 6 hogs with daytime opportunities all from 60-85 yards. Not sure what your talking about...

Thanks.

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/04/16 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Stealthjr

I have the photon and your statement about hunting during the day being useless puzzles me. What, in your opinion, makes it "useless"? I've had zero issues during the day, everything is perfectly clear, and have killed 6 out of 6 hogs with daytime opportunities all from 60-85 yards. Not sure what your talking about...

Thanks.

The Photon sucks during the day. It's the only optic I've ever used that doesn't allow me to see .30 caliber holes in my target at 50 yards. It works good at night though.

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/04/16 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn
The Photon sucks during the day. It's the only optic I've ever used that doesn't allow me to see .30 caliber holes in my target at 50 yards. It works good at night though.

You are asking a lot for a $500.00 night scope.
That's what spotting scopes or feet are for.
Pigs are much bigger than a 30 cal hole in a target.

Have you tried adjusting the darkness/contrast or using the included lens cap - the one with the daytime filter in the center of it?

As you can see in the video above, recorded thru my Photon 5X on an Angel Eyes DVR with NO filter, I don't have a problem identifying a hog and delivering a kill shot in broad daylight from 100 yards.

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/04/16 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Vern1

You are asking a lot for a $500.00 night scope.
That's what spotting scopes or feet are for.
Pigs are much bigger than a 30 cal hole in a target.

Have you tried adjusting the darkness/contrast or using the included lens cap - the one with the daytime filter in the center of it?

As you can see in the video above, recorded thru my Photon 5X on an Angel Eyes DVR with NO filter, I don't have a problem identifying a hog and delivering a kill shot in broad daylight from 100 yards.

Don't take it personally, Vern. I like my Photon and I think it's a great value. I just think it sucks during the day.

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/04/16 05:49 PM

Don't take it personally, Vern. I like my Photon and I think it's a great value. I just think it sucks during the day.

Oh no Sir, not taking it personal - if it came across as such, it surely wasn't ment to be so.
Just making suggestions as I've lived with one for quite some time and have wasted too much money and time on the XSight.
As you can see, I have different results but I do have the 5X, are you using the 5X or XT?
Also, the video was recorded off the Photon and not what you see thru the scope.
Makes me wonder why Photon doesn't use a color display inside the scope.
It would cut over to greyscale in low light conditions anyway and since it's designed to be nighttime, it does make sense.

That being said, I primarily use my Pulsar N750A.
The Photon 5X still gets lots of use by me and friends and family to introduce/hook them so I have night time hunting buddies!
Both are mounted on ARs with ARP 6.8x43 barrels and have nice DRT performance.
Posted By: SeanJames

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/04/16 05:50 PM

Getting rid of some old optics. I have a Xsight 5-18 for sale with a great price. Message me thanks
Posted By: texashunter900

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/05/16 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Stealthjr

Thanks.

It is hard to get a clear picture when it is bright outside even with the cap on and adjusting every knob on it. You can sight in during the day but it not a tight group.

I could hit a hog during the day but I prefer a scope I can see the exact hair I am aiming at.
Posted By: TXGH

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/06/16 10:39 PM

I have had a Gen 1 3x12 - Gen 1 5x18 and a Gen 2 5x20 - The Gen 1 3x12 I loved because it was the first night visitation or digital scope I had owned. After joining the forum I learned a TON and became VERy knowledgeable about the X-Sight Lines. Then I upgraded to the 5x18 and it was a HUGE improvement, due to the BETTER clarity at higher zoom than my 3x12 was.

I then got the Gen 2 5x20 (after I became a dealer) and the improvements have been HUGE!

I will say as far as the quality control side, ATN misses the mark slightly, and they rely on their users to find the issues, and then a firmware updates comes out. That is the biggest CON I have. I will say they do a good job of fixing the bugs once they are found. (this is due mostly to the wide rage of features the scopes have, it is hard to effectively find all the bugs for each firmware update before it is released).

IF you get a used GEN 1 or a NEW Gen 2 I would highly recommend joining the facebook group for support, hacks, and modifications that will make it MUCH MUCH better.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ATNXSightTexas/

IF YOU DO GET ONE Here is a few things you should do before you put it on your rifle.

1. Buy a set of allen wrenches.
2. Loosed EVERY Screw you can find and put a drop of the BLUE Loctite Gel Glue on each one and then tighten it down HAND TIGHT without stripping the screws.
2a. Including the mounting screws to the scope mount on the bottom, and the tiny screws all around the scope.
3. Check for the latest firmware update and follow the instructions to download it to the scope. Message me if you need assistance.
4. There are a few more modifications to do as well but the facebook group will be good for that as well.

Below are some videos to watch as well.

ATN X-Sight II ALL Features tutorial

ATN X-SIght II Review

ATN X-SIGHT II 400 Yards

ATN X-SIGHT II Hog KILL

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/07/16 12:34 AM

You failed to mention the screen flicker - the nonstop strobe is going to cause an episode!!!

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/07/16 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
You failed to mention the screen flicker - the nonstop strobe is going to cause an episode!!!

That is fixed with the Gen 2.. And I don't have that issue with the gen 1 5x18.. I would recommend to re-install teh latest firmware then do a factory reset.. Write down your zero coordinates first.

Also try to put the brightness on the lowest setting at night.

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/07/16 03:57 AM

I don't believe you

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/07/16 06:15 AM

I don't believe you

roflmao roflmao roflmao I'll have to add, if you were representing my company, I'd expect you to know the difference between 3-12 and 3x12. It's hard to take you serious bro.
Posted By: DoubleUp

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/07/16 12:39 PM

Joseph, not trying to give you a hard time, but until you show videos of night hunting with the X-Sight 2, which is what it is advertised as, then nothing has changed about the X-Sights from ATN.

Does ATN listen to their dealers and customers at all? It doesn't appear so to me at least. They keep coming out with the same useless features that make the scope more like a smart phone than a hunting scope. Please let them know that ET doesn't need to phone home with this scope, but he does need to shoot at night with it and record while doing so.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/07/16 03:06 PM

Interesting thread.

My nephew and I are both interested in the X-Sight 5-20, but we've decided to wait at least six months and see what actual users report during that time. I want to see a lot of videos of hogs shot at night! If this thing starts getting good comments and nice videos from real customers, we'll seriously consider buying a couple. Meanwhile, I have an early Photon 3.5X which, while it's not color and doesn't record video, has killed a few hogs both during the day and at night. So I'm good for now.

But, keep those cards and letters coming folks! I'm looking forward to hearing from the Early Adopters and then the Early Majority of buyers.

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/07/16 08:03 PM

I don't believe you

roflmao roflmao roflmao I'll have to add, if you were representing my company, I'd expect you to know the difference between 3-12 and 3x12. It's hard to take you serious bro.

Where did I type 3-12? I owned the 3x12, the 5x18 and i have the new Gen II 5x20 - I sold my 3x12 as I don't need 3 scopes but I still have my 3x18 and my 5x20 which I love both of them.

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/07/16 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleUp
Joseph, not trying to give you a hard time, but until you show videos of night hunting with the X-Sight 2, which is what it is advertised as, then nothing has changed about the X-Sights from ATN.

Does ATN listen to their dealers and customers at all? It doesn't appear so to me at least. They keep coming out with the same useless features that make the scope more like a smart phone than a hunting scope. Please let them know that ET doesn't need to phone home with this scope, but he does need to shoot at night with it and record while doing so.

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/07/16 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: der Teufel
Interesting thread.

My nephew and I are both interested in the X-Sight 5-20, but we've decided to wait at least six months and see what actual users report during that time. I want to see a lot of videos of hogs shot at night! If this thing starts getting good comments and nice videos from real customers, we'll seriously consider buying a couple. Meanwhile, I have an early Photon 3.5X which, while it's not color and doesn't record video, has killed a few hogs both during the day and at night. So I'm good for now.

But, keep those cards and letters coming folks! I'm looking forward to hearing from the Early Adopters and then the Early Majority of buyers.

If you guys live close to Houston Come out with me to my lease some time and you can use mine for yourself to see if you like it. I will let you use my 5x20 and I will use the gen 1 5x18 and we can kill some bacon.

Seeing is believing. This is why I also host a range event once a month for people to come out to see if for themselves. Buy from me or from another dealer, all the same I do it for enjoyment and support my hunting habit not to make a living. Even if you never buy from me I wills till help you however I can with support.

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/07/16 08:09 PM

I don't believe you

Next time you are in Houston let me know I will take you out to my lease and you can use mine and see for yourself. Even the Dimming issue fromt eh GEN 1 is fixed

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/08/16 01:03 AM

Joshua, again I'm really not trying to give you a hard time here, but that video is useless in my opinion. I did see some decent night videos from some guy in Australia hunting fox with the 5x20, X2, but that's about it. Maybe you'll get some better night videos at some point and alternating from the green to black and white would be nice as well.
Posted By: MrKingLouie

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/12/16 01:14 AM

ATN X-Sight II 3-14X, Uniquefire 1508 with a 50mm lens in 940.

https://youtu.be/bcNdbM9ljag

/MKL

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/12/16 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: MrKingLouie
ATN X-Sight II 3-14X, Uniquefire 1508 with a 50mm lens in 940.

https://youtu.be/bcNdbM9ljag

/MKL

Can you speak to what the settings were at the time of the video for light sensitivity (low / medium / high)?

Also the range to the hogs seems to be less than 30 yards.

It'd be nice if somebody would do a proper review of the scope at realistic hunting range.

Any digi scope is going to do well at close range and with a 50mm head on the IR lamp

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/14/16 02:34 AM

I will be going out this friday night to pull an all nighter for this big boy lets hope I have some good video for you.. But the only issue is that I will only be 60 yards away.. tis is my deer spot for bow season so not a long shot. After that I will do my next hunt at my rifle spot which is up to 160 yards...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k48fo0snj8bufmb/ATNX0039.MOV?dl=0

Above is a link my friend sent me of a coon he took at 80 yards when he bot bored watiing for a hog. This is the Stock IR light. Unfortunatly he uploaded it to his drop box in lower quality since it was from his phone. I will see if I can get the raw footage and upload it in HD.

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/14/16 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie
I will be going out this friday night to pull an all nighter. But the only issue is that I will only be 60 yards away..

Why not just do it like all the other xsight hunters, 30 yards away with the IR on full blast .......

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/14/16 06:31 PM

I never hunt at 30 yards way too close for my 5x20 Gen II.. I don't use the stock IR myself as it is crap. I have a T38 Evolva that does wiell up to 150 yards (which is all I need.)

And my Kill videos with my X-Sight is 100 yards, but I only have day time kill videos from myself so far. It just happends every time I have gone they have come out during daylight.

I am hoping to get a night kill video this week for you.

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/14/16 07:58 PM

Don't miss
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/14/16 09:05 PM

Go get 'em!

In my ideal world, I'd like to see some video that shows the shooting area in daylight, with a description of how far away things are, followed up by recordings of shots taken at night. I like a nice slow pan of the area. Heck I get kind of nauseous trying to watch a video when the person recording starts swinging the scope back and forth rapidly, trying to show everything that's in the area. I rate DNS as producing some of the better quality night videos I've seen. No really loud music, sufficient, but not constant, narration, and usually less than three or so minutes long (I get bored easily . . . )
But mainly, good luck to you! popcorn
Posted By: garbs

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/14/16 09:37 PM

I borrowed a friend's X-sight HD 3-14x for a weekend hunt, and I must say that it was a huge improvement over the gen 1 in almost every way. The night vision was much brighter with the same IR and actually useful in areas where IR reflection was previously an issue. That said, I think ATN is purposely not updating the gen 1 scope to get people to plunk down more cash for the gen 2.

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/15/16 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by der Teufel
Go get 'em!

In my ideal world, I'd like to see some video that shows the shooting area in daylight, with a description of how far away things are, followed up by recordings of shots taken at night. I like a nice slow pan of the area. Heck I get kind of nauseous trying to watch a video when the person recording starts swinging the scope back and forth rapidly, trying to show everything that's in the area. I rate DNS as producing some of the better quality night videos I've seen. No really loud music, sufficient, but not constant, narration, and usually less than three or so minutes long (I get bored easily . . . )
But mainly, good luck to you! popcorn

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/15/16 03:11 PM

Man, you need some shooting sticks. The video makes me dizzy.
Posted By: shoots100

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/16/16 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: garbs
I borrowed a friend's X-sight HD 3-14x for a weekend hunt, and I must say that it was a huge improvement over the gen 1 in almost every way. The night vision was much brighter with the same IR and actually useful in areas where IR reflection was previously an issue. That said, I think ATN is purposely not updating the gen 1 scope to get people to plunk down more cash for the gen 2.

I too have looked through a Gen 2 scope and it looks good, but My Gen 1 scope will be the last ATN product I will ever purchase.
I sold everything ATN I owned, except the X sight.
I keep the X sight on a shelf as a reminder.
I hope the newer Gen 2 scope owners have better luck than the Gen 1 scope owners did.
Posted By: fr3db3ar

Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? - 06/16/16 06:39 PM

Ha, that looks like a good place for a suppressed 22.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum