Texas Hunting Forum

Vortex on sale at Cabelas question

Posted By: jrg_80

Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/08/15 12:42 PM

Is the Vortex Viper Hs 6-24x50 that's on sale at Cabelas right now rigid enough to withstand the abuse from a 338 Lapua? Thanks

jrg
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/08/15 12:52 PM

The Vortex lifetime warranty implies it is.

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/08/15 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: pertnear
The Vortex lifetime warranty implies it is.

What it implies is one of two things
1) IF something happens...
2) WHEN something happens...

I prefer to avoid #2 which is why I asked the question. Now, do you(pertnear) have any experience with a Vortex Viper on a magnum caliber rifle or did you just have that bit of FYI to throw out? BSA scopes offer a lifetime warranty, but I'm not considering putting one on a 338 Lapua just because of what's written on paper.

jrg
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/08/15 02:05 PM

Didn't see any on sale on their website-is it store only? What price? I'd check Camera Land and OpticsPlanet too, and maybe even call SWFA for price matching.

What are your plans for the rifle? With that much gun I'd be thinking more scope than that, from a features standpoint, at least.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/08/15 02:20 PM

Yes it will. I shot an Armalite 50cal with that scope, it belongs to my cousin. That was 2 years ago and it is still on there.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/08/15 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Didn't see any on sale on their website-is it store only? What price? I'd check Camera Land and OpticsPlanet too, and maybe even call SWFA for price matching.

Perhaps he means MidwayUSA. My circular came in the mail yesterday and lists that scope with the BDC reticle for $329 with free shipping. The add specifies a lifetime factory warranty. I currently have one on a .300 WM and it seems to hold up to the recoil. Its a decent scope for the money, but don't expect Nightforce or S&B quality.
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/08/15 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: dawaba

Perhaps he means MidwayUSA. My circular came in the mail yesterday and lists that scope with the BDC reticle for $329 with free shipping. The add specifies a lifetime factory warranty. I currently have one on a .300 WM and it seems to hold up to the recoil. Its a decent scope for the money, but don't expect Nightforce or S&B quality.

That one looks like a 6.5x-20x
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/08/15 03:19 PM

What are your plans for the rifle? With that much gun I'd be thinking more scope than that, from a features standpoint, at least.

^^This^^

A more appropriate scope for a .338 LM in the Vortex line would be the Viper PST Mil/Mil 6-24X, or a Vortex Razor.

SS 5-20 X Mil/Mil FFP

Bushnell Elite Tactical line

A one mile rifle should not be held back by a 300 yard scope. Be like putting worn out bias ply tires on a NASCAR stock car.

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/08/15 03:57 PM

It's in the flyer that came out in the mail yesterday, sale starts tomorrow. The one on Midway had a 44mm bell and the one I'm looking at at Cabelas has the 50mm on it.

My intentions its strictly play. I don't have the gun yet(in the works), I'm not a long range guru or competition shooter by any means....but with the deal I can hopefully get my hands on this gun for I might as well not pass on it. For my capabilities, intent, and skill level it's hard for me to justify spending $1500-$2200 on a scope for purposes that I will never use....which is why this scope looked intriguing, just want to know that it'll hold up is all.

Thanks for all the input, please continue to advise.

jrg

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/08/15 04:08 PM

If you're not a long range guru, why are you buying a rifle that is built for extreme range (beyond 1000 yards), and not matching the scope to the rifle?

It's like wanting be a pro drag racer and getting straight into a top fuel dragster instead of a 12 second car to learn the basics.

Plus if you don't roll your own ammo for it, it will shoot five dolla bills. If you don't plan to shoot long range with it, might as well buy a 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, 308 Win and enjoy.

Just trying to wrap my head around this because it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/08/15 04:38 PM

Why does a guy that's never pulled anything in his life besides his pud and drives 20miles round trip to work and home everyday need a f350 4x4? He doesn't use it for its full potential either..... I simply asked if said scope would hold up to a Lapua's recoil, not validate why I'm looking to purchase said gun. Now could this gun be my foot in the door to get me into long range shooting, maybe, but even if it doesn't I'd still like glass on it that will allow me to do what I want to with it.

$ for ammo ain't any more that my 30-378 pills.

jrg

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/08/15 04:40 PM

Your money.

I'll stay out of it from here on out. Sorry for the bother.
Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/08/15 04:54 PM

This all seems rather silly.

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/08/15 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

A more appropriate scope for a .338 LM in the Vortex line would be the Viper PST Mil/Mil 6-24X, or a Vortex Razor.

SS 5-20 X Mil/Mil FFP

Bushnell Elite Tactical line

A one mile rifle should not be held back by a 300 yard scope. Be like putting worn out bias ply tires on a NASCAR stock car.

This was a helpful and insightful post. The others from you....not so much

Originally Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua
This all seems rather silly.

Agreed.

jrg
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/08/15 07:25 PM

back Possibly, most likely, might not. Lot of recoil, so if you are going to shoot it 10, 100, 1000 times then at some point it might jar loose. No problem if you are at range, got the lifetime warranty. However, you are on trophy high dollar ram hunt in Alaska and you only have one gun and one scope, well... I don't want you getting mad at me cause you punched 5,000 holes in paper then threw it on the plane and then dropped it down 100 yds of rock and now a crosshair is rattling around in the bottom.

You ask if it will stand the abuse? Well, how much/many times are you going to abuse it? Sooner or later almost anything will finally break. And sometimes you get a super good item and sometimes it is a lemon.
Posted By: Dave3575

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/08/15 07:44 PM

that is the wrong scope for that gun.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/08/15 09:27 PM

Heck, buy the Vortex. The price appears to be a good one. If it breaks, get it fixed and put it on something milder, or sell it, and then spend bigger bucks for the next 338 scope. That would be the $ friendly approach. Or, you could just buy what the USMC puts on their long range gear (Leupold and S&B, I believe). Of those two, I'd go with the Leupold. They have a great warranty. Be aware than my suggestion of Leupold may well bring on a side discussion of mil/mil versus MOA/MOA.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/09/15 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave3575
that is the wrong scope for that gun.
This
Posted By: r_u_sharp_2

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/09/15 01:38 AM

Should be fine. Get a good set of rings and have fun using it for what ever you want.

Is it the right one for the gun to function at the highest level of performance... that is a different question.

Matt
Posted By: Dave3575

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/09/15 02:27 AM

you guys telling him that this scope is ok are setting him up for failure. the scope can handle the recoil sure... but that is the least of the issues. It's a BDC reticle and designed to be used for holding on target and the sub-tensions are very coarse. this is not designed to be dialed. This is a cartridge than can go well over a mile. It's a safety issue. The option for holding incorrectly and sending a round somewhere you don't want it to go is high.

100% wrong scope for this gun.

if you dope is 2.4, or 5.7 - are you that confident you are on target? I'm not.

is this really what you want on a 338 Lapua Mag? If it is please make sure my neighborhood is behind you, not in front.....

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/09/15 02:49 AM

Stop with the science and math, Dave. It has no place here!

I still find it odd that the guys that shoot so much they cook barrels each year get so much push back.
Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/09/15 03:12 AM

Just about any scope will do if you don't actually shoot the rifle.

That scope would be great for pulling the rifle out of the safe to show your friends.

That goes for ammo costs too.

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/09/15 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua
Just about any scope will do if you don't actually shoot the rifle.

That scope would be great for pulling the rifle out of the safe to show your friends.

That goes for ammo costs too.

Excellent point, Tasco it is!

jrg
Posted By: dee

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/09/15 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
Heck, buy the Vortex. The price appears to be a good one. If it breaks, get it fixed and put it on something milder, or sell it, and then spend bigger bucks for the next 338 scope. That would be the $ friendly approach. Or, you could just buy what the USMC puts on their long range gear (Leupold and S&B, I believe). Of those two, I'd go with the Leupold. They have a great warranty. Be aware than my suggestion of Leupold may well bring on a side discussion of mil/mil versus MOA/MOA.

Just because the usmc uses it doesn't make it the best option.
Posted By: r_u_sharp_2

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/09/15 12:51 PM

It would probably be best if the OP outlined what his intent was for the rifle. That would probably get more appropriate feedback.

If he said he never plans to shoot past 300yds, does that change your opinion?

Maybe he is getting the gun for $50, and doesnt want to pass the deal up, but has no where to shoot past 250. maybe he only plans to be "that guy" and take the rifle to the local indoor range and blast away from 20 to 100yds and show the rifle off to anyone that looks. lots we dont know.

OP... how do you plan to use your new toy?
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/09/15 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: r_u_sharp_2
It would probably be best if the OP outlined what his intent was for the rifle. That would probably get more appropriate feedback.

If he said he never plans to shoot past 300yds, does that change your opinion?

Maybe he is getting the gun for $50, and doesnt want to pass the deal up, but has no where to shoot past 250. maybe he only plans to be "that guy" and take the rifle to the local indoor range and blast away from 20 to 100yds and show the rifle off to anyone that looks. lots we dont know.

OP... how do you plan to use your new toy?

If he wants to be "that guy" then he needs to re-evalute is purchases. His use of money is questionable at best and dangerous at worst for him and everyone within range of that gun lol...

the scope CAN handle the recoil if installed correctly with good rings... but hey if you want to burn money burn money. Keeps sombodys job safe lol

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/09/15 05:11 PM

Well since we've covered everything from my intended use, to financial advisory, to me being a possible endangerment to the Human population in a 3 county surrounding radius. My question was soley to ask IF a vortex viper line would hold up to the recoil of a 338 Lapua, that was it. Not on reticle selection, my choice of punching paper at 20yds or groundhogs at 150yds......is was a question about a scope PERIOD, nothing more nothing less. I appreciate those that answered the question as well as those that advised to look elsewhere and offered options that would best suit the caliber regardless of intended use(from 25yds - 1600yds).

I DO know where to go for nascar and drag racing advise now without a doubt.

jrg
Posted By: SR025

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/09/15 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: jrg_80

jrg

claproflmao
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/09/15 08:51 PM

Well since we've covered everything from my intended use, to financial advisory, to me being a possible endangerment to the Human population in a 3 county surrounding radius. My question was soley to ask IF a vortex viper line would hold up to the recoil of a 338 Lapua, that was it. Not on reticle selection, my choice of punching paper at 20yds or groundhogs at 150yds......is was a question about a scope PERIOD, nothing more nothing less. I appreciate those that answered the question as well as those that advised to look elsewhere and offered options that would best suit the caliber regardless of intended use(from 25yds - 1600yds).

jrg

hey genius... about 10 ppl told you the answer you were looking for.... YES IT SHOULD HANDLE THE RECOIL WITH PROPER RINGS AND INSTILLATION.. People took time to think about your question and give some time to tell you their opinions on what works best...even though your trolling

you never said a dang thing about how you intend to use your new toy.. personally from your responses I think your more apt to hold it by the barrel and club the target... just make sure you have the chamber loaded and saftey off when you do so that you can stop wasting the time of people who tried to answer your question with some thought...

thanks bud.

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/09/15 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: catslayer

jrg

hey genius... about 10 ppl told you the answer you were looking for.... YES IT SHOULD HANDLE THE RECOIL WITH PROPER RINGS AND INSTILLATION.. People took time to think about your question and give some time to tell you their opinions on what works best...even though your trolling

you never said a dang thing about how you intend to use your new toy.. personally from your responses I think your more apt to hold it by the barrel and club the target... just make sure you have the chamber loaded and saftey off when you do so that you can stop wasting the time of people who tried to answer your question with some thought...

thanks bud.

Bud,
Please have someone re-read you my last post because clearly you couldn't read down far enough to the point where I thanked those that answered my question as well as those that offered alternative options. As far as all your other unnecessary crap......well I hope you didn't spend too much time coming up with such creative and figurative literature that your head started to hurt and feel like it had been clubbed with the butt end off a 338 Lapua.

jrg
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/09/15 11:39 PM

WOW! The THF sharks are in a feeding frenzy this week. Their bosses at work or the honeys at home must be on the warpath....
Posted By: senderoman

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/10/15 05:32 PM

I have 3 Vortex's.They have never let me down.I can say the same about NF,Leu,S&B which I also own.The Vortex can hold up to mag loads.As for the responses,most believe you spend the same on optics as the rifle(as do I).That being said,that is the reason I have different scopa values.Plus I cant afford 30 S&B scopes.Your rifle,trick it out as you like and enjoy!!
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/10/15 05:57 PM

Put in there what you want, it's your gun and if it makes you happy that's all that matter. Heck, I shoot a Savage scared and people on here will condem that because it has a $5 extractor that may fail at some point, hasn't yet. I topped it with a Viper PST that cost 2x the price of the gun, yet still people on here will condem that scope as not good enough, but I like it. In the end, yes that scope will hold up to the gun, how long is a question that nobody can answer. Heck it could fall apart on a 22, but it's not likely. Buy your gun, and the scope you want, and rock on and let the lead fly.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/10/15 09:07 PM

Like dawaba, it did seem like some folks were looking to give the OP some undeserved grief. Like BigPig, I have a Vortex PST that I'm real fond of. It might be that the gun it's on shoots so well that I'm just happy in general, but the scope is a good one. And I really do like my Leupold VX3 4.5-14's and the Leupold VariX-III in 6.5-20. The only scope that I'm not that thrilled with is the Leupold VX2 6-18. I just don't like the reticle, but I can get that fixed.

So I think the OP should buy what he wants. If it turns out to not be quite what he had in mind, that can be fixed. Just rub money on the problem, like many of us do.

That said, I have finally come around to the belief that if a fellow really wants precision at long range (from 400 yards to whatever), get a good scope with a Mil/Mil (or MOA) reticle and turrets.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/11/15 02:39 AM

As to great scope prices--sometimes you can find a law enforcement guy who bought a vortex direct at his discount-and pick it up cheap, if he gets bored and wants something else. That scope should be fine.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/11/15 10:22 AM

Cabela's is sold out in the stores and online. It is temporarily taken off their website until when/if they get more in.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/12/15 02:17 AM

SO, did he get the scope??

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/12/15 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
SO, did he get the scope??

Cabelas was sold out of them by the time I got there on Friday. Was a In Store offer and the guy at the gun bar said people were buying them 2-3 at a time.

jrg
Posted By: 4x4willie

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 07/23/15 10:14 PM

Well for what's is worth this has to be the absolutely the most intertwining post I have ever read since joining this forum.
Thanks for the info and laughter
Posted By: booradley

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 08/01/15 07:24 AM

I went to high school with a guy that put racing stripes on his AMC Pacer. He didn't get many dates.

Re: Vortex on sale at Cabelas question - 08/18/15 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: booradley
I went to high school with a guy that put racing stripes on his AMC Pacer. He didn't get many dates.

Had he put a spoiler on to compliment the stripes we'd be talking about a lady slayin legend!

jrg
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum