Texas Hunting Forum

Zeiss Terra?

Posted By: FishStickMan

Zeiss Terra? - 08/03/14 05:08 PM

Has anyone had or used a Zeiss Terra line rifle scope? I'm looking for a scope for my .270 Remington 700 and have been looking at Nikon Buckmaster or Monarch, but came across these low-end Zeiss scopes and am wondering if they're a good substitute?

Thanks
Posted By: Turkeyman

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/04/14 01:11 PM

If it's Zeiss it's got to be good. I shoot the Conquest line. Now I just got and E-mail from Optic Planet.com. The have the Terra3x in a 3-9x42 with Turrets on sale for $349.99. You can't go wrong
Posted By: Ag Hunter 78

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/04/14 11:32 PM

Doug at Cameraland has the open box 3-9x42 Terra demos for $289. (#20 reticle) A step up is the 4-12x42 open box for $329 in the #20 reticle.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/05/14 12:58 AM

I like Swarovski as I have a couple, though I haven't gotten my hands on a Zeiss yet.

I hear good things about the Terra.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/05/14 01:38 AM

Zeiss terra and a Swaro are planets apart and don't compare
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/05/14 06:14 AM

Its pretty good
Corners are clear , little aberration

I put together a combo for a friend using Terra 4-12x42 RZ8
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/07/14 12:38 AM

I have the terra 3x9 on my daughters X-Bolt .243 and it works just fine. I also have the terra 8x42 ed binocs and they are very good. Pretty good scope for the money.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/07/14 01:29 AM

good to know about the binos, how's the eye relief for eyeglass wearer?
Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/07/14 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Zeiss terra and a Swaro are planets apart and don't compare

This is very accurate!

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/08/14 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
good to know about the binos, how's the eye relief for eyeglass wearer?

I don't wear glasses, so I have no idea. Sorry

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/10/14 02:34 PM

Pittstate you are also ugly, and hunt "Gar Holes" when ever possible. The Terra is very good for the price but it's not even close to a Swaro!!!!!!

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/10/14 02:52 PM

Ok, so how does Zeiss' Terra compare to Nikon's Monarch line? Price wise they're comparable, but are they similar quality? It sure is a lot easier to find the Monarchs...

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/10/14 06:35 PM

Zeiss is far better than Nikon. Go to Ebay and type Zeiss Scopes. Then have fun. You will not be sorry
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/10/14 08:36 PM

I have a Terra 2x7 it's a very good scope. From what I've read they are much better at 6x and below than at higher powers. I tend to do almost all my shooting at the low end of the power spectrum so I really can't comment on those claims.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/10/14 08:57 PM

I looked at some store demos today in the Terra line up. I was not impressed

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/17/14 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: FishStickMan
Ok, so how does Zeiss' Terra compare to Nikon's Monarch line? Price wise they're comparable, but are they similar quality? It sure is a lot easier to find the Monarchs...

If I have time tonight as sunset, I will bring them both out and do a test to see which one is brighter/better sight picture.

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/17/14 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Turkeyman
Pittstate you are also ugly, and hunt "Gar Holes" when ever possible. The Terra is very good for the price but it's not even close to a Swaro!!!!!!

Dave,

I don't always hunt, but when I do, I hunt "Gar Holes"! LOL

And, don't talk ugly with me.....I still have night mares of you wearing those camo baselayer!

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/17/14 07:56 PM

And Dave,
Tell Travis I said "Hi"
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/17/14 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Turkeyman
If it's Zeiss it's got to be good. I shoot the Conquest line. Now I just got and E-mail from Optic Planet.com. The have the Terra3x in a 3-9x42 with Turrets on sale for $349.99. You can't go wrong

I have Conquests on all of my rifles. Zeiss glass I feel the best optic for the money you can buy.

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/18/14 02:18 AM

I just went out at 8:10pm mountain time in Sidney, Nebraska and looked through 3 scopes several times. 1) Ziess Terra 3x9-40, 2) Nikon BuckMaster 3x9-40 3) Burris Fullfied II 3x9-40.

They all looked good out to 200 yards with 3-4 power with no noticeable difference. As I zoomed out, the Nikon was by far the clearest with Zeiss and Burris pretty far behind the clarity spectrum. I will give it another 10 minutes and look through my Swarovski, lol. I did look through my Leupold, but it wasn't a fair comparison since it is fixed 6x42.

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/18/14 02:28 AM

At 8:20pm I tested the Swarovski and the Vortex Viper. Not even close, the Swarovski was 1,000 times better. Broke out the Nikon again and it was 100 times better than the Vortex.

This intrigued me, so I just tested the basic Nikon (came with my girl's Savage as a package deal) against the Vortex Diamondback, both 3x9-40. The Vortex was a little better, but a little worse than the Buckmaster.

Ok, my testing over. Anyone else care to share their results?

Re: Zeiss Terra? - 08/19/14 12:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Pittstate
I just went out at 8:10pm mountain time in Sidney, Nebraska and looked through 3 scopes several times. 1) Ziess Terra 3x9-40, 2) Nikon BuckMaster 3x9-40 3) Burris Fullfied II 3x9-40.

They all looked good out to 200 yards with 3-4 power with no noticeable difference. As I zoomed out, the Nikon was by far the clearest with Zeiss and Burris pretty far behind the clarity spectrum. I will give it another 10 minutes and look through my Swarovski, lol. I did look through my Leupold, but it wasn't a fair comparison since it is fixed 6x42.

I can't thank you enough for that info. I really appreciate it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum