Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone use fixed power?

Posted By: RCINTX

Anyone use fixed power? - 10/02/13 02:52 PM

I am starting a long(ish) range build based on a Stevens 200 in .308. Right now I am picking up the pieces needed for the build and trying to figure out which optic to go with.

I would like to be able to shoot out to 600 yards with the potential to go further. Would also like to learn to use a mildot reticle, never had one. My budget will be about $500.

Does anyone use fixed power optics for this purpose? I was considering a SWFA SS in 10 or 12x fixed. I know there is another company that makes a similar scope, but cannot find it.

Any ideas, or recommendations from the experts on here?

Re: Anyone use fixed power? - 10/02/13 03:10 PM

This is the SS I was thinking about:

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42M-Tactical-Riflescope-P53713.aspx
Posted By: Barcelona Rick

Re: Anyone use fixed power? - 10/02/13 04:03 PM

My 700 '06 has always worn a 4X scope that has served me well...(first a Burris now a Weaver)...my DIL's 7 243 has a 6X Leupold and my grandson's H&R 243 has a 4X Burris...they hold zero and are fool proof...we limit our shots to reasonable ranges (under 200 yards for us)...email Skylar @ SWFA...he is a treasure of info...

rick
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Anyone use fixed power? - 10/02/13 06:56 PM

I used a fixed 6 power for a few years, and it worked just fine. Longest shot was a coyote at 365. Still, I moved toward variable scopes and have no reason to go back to fixed power.

I also had a fixed 10 power on a rifle I bought used. It was a Ruger 77V in 220, and I did just fine with the 10 power, but now a 6.5-20 Leupold is on it.

But...I'm just a hunter and not a target shooter. I know full well that if I was a target shooter, even though I have plenty of accurate rifles, I am not equipped for long range target shooting.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Anyone use fixed power? - 10/03/13 01:50 AM

I've got an SS fixed 12X on a budget truck gun, 243. I picked it up used for $250. I'd recommend it for what you are doing. 16x may be another good option. They have plenty of parralax adjustment, from 20 yards to infinity. I've got the 5-20 HD, and absolutely love it. The fixed 12x is top quality as well.

Re: Anyone use fixed power? - 10/04/13 04:27 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. In the opinion of you all who have or have had fixed power, would you recommend it for me? Or should I go with something more like a 3-15? One reason I was thinking fixed power was the simplicity of nothing changing. Would it be easier to understand mil-dot this way?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Anyone use fixed power? - 10/04/13 04:34 PM

I can't help you with the mil-dot issue, but I do recommend a variable scope. You can do just fine with a 4 power or a 6 power, but you have more options with a 3-9 or with my favorite range of 4.5-14 or 4-16.

At 100 yards, with a 4 power scope, you can't even see the tiny dot bullseye that I shoot at. That info alone should be enough to get you to consider a variable scope.
Posted By: blancoman

Re: Anyone use fixed power? - 10/06/13 01:04 AM

Snipers in Europe used nothing but fixed 6. I have used the 6 to take whitetail out to 500. Beyond that I would use a variable.

Re: Anyone use fixed power? - 10/06/13 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: RCINTX
Thanks for the feedback guys. In the opinion of you all who have or have had fixed power, would you recommend it for me? Or should I go with something more like a 3-15? One reason I was thinking fixed power was the simplicity of nothing changing. Would it be easier to understand mil-dot this way?

Understanding Mils won't change with a fixed or variable power, if you get a first focal plane, which the SS 3-15X is a first focal plane. With a variable power, second focal plane, a Mil is only a Mil on one setting, often max power = not good in my book. A first focal plane scope, a Mil is a Mil at every power setting.

Re: Anyone use fixed power? - 10/06/13 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: blancoman
Snipers in Europe used nothing but fixed 6. I have used the 6 to take whitetail out to 500. Beyond that I would use a variable.

Probably true. I bet if the technology were there, those Snipers would've paid two months pay for a 5-20 x 50 Mil/Mil FFP. Why make things harder than they have to be now days?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum