Texas Hunting Forum

Questions about new texas chl laws.

Posted By: txsharpshot

Questions about new texas chl laws. - 01/20/14 01:09 AM

I have read that now you no longer have to do shooter proficiency in order to obtain you chl. Is it true that you can now take an online course and submit your application for chl without ever leaving your home? Kind of scary
Posted By: HMK

Re: Questions about new texas chl laws. - 01/20/14 01:30 AM

If it is true, that's not good at all.
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: Questions about new texas chl laws. - 01/20/14 06:46 AM

This is not correct. You do not have to take the shooting proficiency for a renewal, but it is still required for the initial license. However, I have seen folks who didn't even know how to load their firearm pass the proficiency exam, so I feel it is pretty worthless anyway.
Posted By: lharrell79

Re: Questions about new texas chl laws. - 01/20/14 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: txsharpshot
I have read that now you no longer have to do shooter proficiency in order to obtain you chl. Is it true that you can now take an online course and submit your application for chl without ever leaving your home? Kind of scary

I think you might be confusing the CHL with the new hunters education requirements. They did remove the field portion of the hunters education process.
Posted By: McKinneyHusker

Re: Questions about new texas chl laws. - 01/22/14 12:59 AM

Here you go:

House Bill 48
Effective: Sept. 1, 2013
Relating to the procedure where a person may renew a CHL.

Eliminates the requirements for CHL holders to complete a renewal course, or demonstrate proficiency, to renew the license.
CHL holders will continue to have an option to submit the renewal application online.
CHL may be renewed for up to one year after expiration. There is no grace period for continuing to carry, once the CHL has expired.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Questions about new texas chl laws. - 01/27/14 04:24 AM

Incorrect
Posted By: sirmike75

Re: Questions about new texas chl laws. - 02/24/14 09:10 PM

that would be scary
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Questions about new texas chl laws. - 02/25/14 12:18 AM

Definitely not true. Shooting requirement is still absolutely required for a new license. They just shortened the class from 10 hours to 4-6.
Posted By: Mickey

Re: Questions about new texas chl laws. - 03/12/14 08:52 PM

Any changes that reduce qualification standards could result in other states not honoring Texas CHL licensees.
Posted By: TXHogger

Re: Questions about new texas chl laws. - 04/19/14 11:56 PM

only for renewals. you can do those online now.
Posted By: HaveGunWillHunt

Re: Questions about new texas chl laws. - 08/20/14 01:13 AM

I am a CHL instructor and nothing has changed for new applicants other then the amount of classroom hours. They still take a written test and must show their proficiency with a firearm. Renewals are done online without shooting (huge Mistake by legislatures) but it is what it is. I encourage all my students to do some sort of qualification so there is a paper trail record in case they get sued in the event they have to protect themselves. The NSA and SA classifications are no more everyone is SA weather you use a revolver of Semi Auto now.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum