Texas Hunting Forum

Getting rid of gophers

Posted By: mikei

Getting rid of gophers - 02/15/20 02:41 PM

Over the many years that I've been gardening, gophers have ravaged my plots many different times. Getting rid of the nasty beasts is always a challenge. I've tried drowning them, poison peanuts, and traps and have had varying degrees of success with each. A couple of years ago, in frustration, I tried using cannon fuse. (Can't use it during Burn Ban times, of course.) I water the area around the hole the gophers have created, take a short piece (6 inches or so) of fuse, lay it in the hole, light it, shove it down into the hole, then cover the hole. After a few minutes, I run a garden hose down into the hole and let it run for 5 minutes or so. I don't know if the fumes it kill them or just runs them off into gopherland, but it has worked every time. It's inexpensive and safe.

https://fithops.com/products/americ...841766625&utm_content=All%20Products
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Getting rid of gophers - 02/15/20 03:29 PM

I step on their burrow blocking their passage then grab a .22, cold beer and lawn chair.....when I see them remaking the tunnel....Bang! rifle

I find this activity relaxing and somehow therapeutic..... cheers
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Getting rid of gophers - 02/15/20 06:41 PM

I use the GopherHawk traps and so do most of the neighbors near me. They saw how good of a job it did on my place and stopped and asked what I used. No digging, just follow the instructions on the video and it works.
GopherHawk Trap
Posted By: N.Tx

Re: Getting rid of gophers - 02/15/20 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
I use the GopherHawk traps and so do most of the neighbors near me. They saw how good of a job it did on my place and stopped and asked what I used. No digging, just follow the instructions on the video and it works.
GopherHawk Trap

I like it
Posted By: gollygee

Re: Getting rid of gophers - 02/16/20 01:58 PM

I use carbon monoxide. [Linked Image]
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Getting rid of gophers - 02/16/20 06:51 PM

Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Getting rid of gophers - 02/16/20 09:14 PM

^^^^ now that is a beer drinking sport!
Posted By: mikei

Re: Getting rid of gophers - 02/17/20 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Love it! Maybe I will try a few cherry bombs instead of cannon fuse. Concuss those beasties!!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Getting rid of gophers - 02/18/20 07:48 PM

I have them. I hate them. Killing them is not a worth while means to me unless your gonna dig around the perimeter of your property a sufficient depth and pour concrete to keep them from coming back. I never miss the opportunity to shoot at one though.

I built raised beds with wire on the bottom, been working good for 4 years.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Getting rid of gophers - 02/18/20 10:28 PM

I made my own version of the Rodenator to kill moles at our previous home. Very effective, took a bit to get the mixture figured out. I think I still have the igniter and gassing components if you're interested.

Charlie
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Getting rid of gophers - 02/27/20 02:27 PM

poison peanuts
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Getting rid of gophers - 02/27/20 07:42 PM

Posted By: huntindude

Re: Getting rid of gophers - 03/03/20 09:03 PM

Thanks mikei for posting and old rabbit for the gopherhawk idea. Just ordered one.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Getting rid of gophers - 03/28/20 03:09 PM

Used to be a product called Gopher Bait, it was effective.
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Getting rid of gophers - 03/29/20 01:51 AM

I was wondering when someone would get out the Candy Shack refrence.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum