Texas Hunting Forum

Let's talk flowers and shrubs!

Posted By: BigPig

Let's talk flowers and shrubs! - 03/27/14 03:25 AM

I'm working on cutting back on the amount of water I use for my lawn. I don't know a lot about plants that are native and require little water to survive. So, let's discuss what's best.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Let's talk flowers and shrubs! - 03/27/14 10:54 AM

Dwarf Silverado Sage makes a good hedge.
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Let's talk flowers and shrubs! - 03/27/14 12:14 PM

http://www.txsmartscape.com/plant_search/getplantdata.asp
Posted By: HillCountryHotRodMan

Re: Let's talk flowers and shrubs! - 04/01/14 05:04 PM

If you can find it up your way, try planting some Autumn sage (salvia greggii), perennial that bushes out well and makes plenty of tiny red flowers that attract the hummingbirds. They grow real well down here on the edge of San Anton' and don't need much water after established. I think I watered it once during the drought last year.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Let's talk flowers and shrubs! - 04/01/14 06:08 PM

I agree about ANY of the salvias, red yucca, blue agave, daylilies, purple sage, and cactus of all types. For trees, I like desert willow, wax myrtle, redbud and sumacs. Just remember these do need water, just not as much. Full sunlight with good drainage is a must too.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Let's talk flowers and shrubs! - 04/01/14 06:11 PM

I almost forgot about lantana, very heat tolerant and come in a variety of colors. Esperanza, yellow puffy flowers on long stems. Heat tolerant and hardy.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Let's talk flowers and shrubs! - 04/01/14 07:59 PM

I have miniature Yucca in red and yellow. Hummers love that stuff, plus the sage when it blooms, after a rain.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Let's talk flowers and shrubs! - 04/03/14 03:06 PM

Yes I'm going to be doing Texas Sage as a hedge row along both sides of the house. There will be crepe myrtles in the backyard near the fence to create privacy from the neighbors. I'm not a fan of yuccas in the flower bed, I've used them before and it seemed that it got a little too cold in this area for them. Hopefully I can get my rain barrels going soon to supplement my watering of these plants.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Let's talk flowers and shrubs! - 04/03/14 07:49 PM

I get better and longer color out of my caladiums. Her's some on my patio. I have more in my beds.

Posted By: birddog14

Re: Let's talk flowers and shrubs! - 04/10/14 01:54 AM

salvia greggii
Flame Acanthus (hummingbird bush)
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Let's talk flowers and shrubs! - 04/10/14 10:21 PM

My water conservation in the backyard........

I have developed an automated drip irrigation system for all the flower beds, pots on the patio, hanging baskets and everything in the green house. The fountain is even auto topped off via the system. The grass around the fountain is artificial turf but everyone that looks at it thinks its real. This video with chairs was set up for a party we had last week.

Crepe Myrtle, Knock Out Roses, Gardenias, Liriope and Dwarf Mondo Grass in the beds. We can go on vacation and not worry about having someone water the plants.

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Let's talk flowers and shrubs! - 04/10/14 11:28 PM

That looks great.
Posted By: HillCountryHotRodMan

Re: Let's talk flowers and shrubs! - 04/11/14 04:02 PM

Hope you let the poor doggie in wink

That's a nice looking pergola. Our meadow sage is blooming nice tiny red flowers and the hummingbirds are all over it.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Let's talk flowers and shrubs! - 04/21/14 11:58 PM

Native wise: Salvia greggii or Autumn Sage, Flame Acanthus, Texas Lantana (Lantana h), Rock Rose, Yaupon Holly, Cone flower, Zexmenia, Rudbeckia, Liatris, Cedar Sage(shad), Yellow Columbine(shade), Turks Cap, Salvia f
Grasses: Gulf Muhly, Little Bluestem, Bushy Bluestem(wet), Sideoats Gramma, Indian Grass,

Natives are kind of hard to use in landscaping, as most go dormant. My yard is about 95% Native, during the summer, I water around the house every 5 days or so, beds go 10-15 days without water.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum