Texas Hunting Forum

Mower cutting uneven

Posted By: COWDOG

Mower cutting uneven - 08/03/13 12:50 PM

My new mower leaves lines and uneven cuts. Anyone experienced this and have a solution?

Posted By: T Bone

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/03/13 12:56 PM

Yes, but it was a 60" zero turn with three blades.. What kind of mower is it?
Posted By: woodwalker

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/03/13 01:02 PM

The mower deck is not level. park it on level ground, cement driveway would be better and measure the distance deck/blades to ground. Locate the attachment points and adjust as needed.
Posted By: JGilbert

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/03/13 01:02 PM

most likely the deck is out of level - especially if it is brand new.
If you hit sumthn then you may have bent a blade, but if it is bad enough to do what is in that pic then it would probably sound like a helicopter when it is running...
Posted By: Cast

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/03/13 01:08 PM

The wheels on the cutter box should not be touching the ground. The box hovers and only touches the ground with the wheels on uneven terrain.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/03/13 01:17 PM

When checking the level of the mower deck or the blades also check to make sure all the tires are inflated to the same pressure level.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/03/13 01:36 PM

Check all the above, plus front to back level. The front should be slightly lower than the back.
Posted By: hadude

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/03/13 01:38 PM

one of three things.
1. Deck unlevel
2. Low tire.
3. Bent blade.

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/03/13 02:14 PM

The dealer should make it right, if its new.
Posted By: DCS

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/03/13 04:23 PM

Wow, is that astro turf, yard looks great.

I agree.

Mower deck uneven
Low tire
Bent blade.

More the likely the deck is not set up correctly.
Posted By: Flying0324

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/05/13 03:09 AM

Make sure the tires air pressure are even and the chains are even on the deck and the back is a little higher then the front are 60 inch deck did the same things
Posted By: John2

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/05/13 03:37 PM

If you bought it new I would be on the phone with the dealer now and he would of been out last night fixing it !.That sure is a pretty lawn but it looks like you scalped it in a lot of places,I would of stopped and got the deck fixed before mowing the whole yard.Others have given you great advice and i'll give you mine,I run the deck wheels where they sometimes touch the ground.That way if I do get a low tire on the rear I cant notice any scalping on the lawn.No I havn't worn out any deck wheels and if I do they're cheap to replace in pairs.Good luck in getting it fixed. up
i have a Toro zero turn mower.

cheers
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/06/13 12:59 AM

I'm guessing by the lines in the hard that he's not using a tractor, prob a 21inch push mower. I had this happen when I move from an old Craftsman to a new and heavier Snapper. The added weight caused the new more to produce an in even cut bc it would find all the bumps I the lawn that the lighter weight Craftsman would glide over. I simply changed my cutting patterns and solved that prob. However, there is a good chance of a bent deck or the motor was improperly installed causing the blade to be at an angle.

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/06/13 01:20 AM

I hate it when people won't reply on their own threads.
Posted By: Big Orn

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/06/13 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

Am I gonna hafta to wobble off into the Bunker and get that bottle of Chill Pills, Bill?

grin
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/06/13 01:23 AM

If this is from a riding mower I'm guessing you got it from a supplier and not a dealer?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/07/13 01:26 PM

stillll waiting

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/10/13 07:31 PM

Sorry fellas ...
Had to wait a week for the grass to grow back before I could test...

Well here is what it was

I changed the 2 blades (42" John deer riding mower)
They had some good Knicks in them

Aired the tires

Found the deck was 2.5" higher on the right side

The front was 2.5" lower than the left and right.

Leveled the deck and raised the front 1/4" higher to prevent double cutting as told by the John Deere rep

Well...

IT WORKED

Yard looks even lush and GREEN!

Thanks for the feedback fellas!!!!
Posted By: John2

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/10/13 09:03 PM

Glad you got it figured out and I take it you bought it used ?.

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/10/13 10:05 PM

Surprisingly no...brand new. I hit a rock not long ago... So that explains the blades but the caddywompus deck being so uneven... Guess it left John Deere like that.
Posted By: aeb

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/10/13 11:59 PM

I think Si would have something to say just about now!!!

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/11/13 04:50 AM

Originally Posted By: aeb
I think Si would have something to say just about now!!!

LOL

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/11/13 01:34 PM

Check all the above, plus front to back level. The front should be slightly lower than the back.

I looked it up in my Operator's Manual.

Quote: "The front of the deck should be between 1/4-inch to 3/8-inch lower that the rear of the deck."

I've owned several over the years and the instructions have always been the same.
Posted By: Flying0324

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/11/13 01:34 PM

Glad you got it all figured out.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/11/13 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Flying0324

+1

I was gonna weigh in, but yall covered everything. I have two sets of blades for my 54" Deere ZTR. I bend them frequently, so since I'm a wanna-be blacksmith I've gotten very good at straightening, sharpening, and retempering the blades. $55 for a set of blades would make me go broke as often as I have to work on them.

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/11/13 03:43 PM

Quote: "The front of the deck should be between 1/4-inch to 3/8-inch lower that the rear of the deck."

I've owned several over the years and the instructions have always been the same.

I stand corrected...yes set lower
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/12/13 01:49 AM

Glad you figured it and responded, Ox was fixing to pop a vein

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/12/13 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: COWDOG

I stand corrected...yes set lower

That is interesting...I always set mine slightly higher front...dunno where I got it or if it was from deere, which is what I run...hmmm...

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/12/13 12:34 PM

You can Google it.
Posted By: BillD

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/12/13 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

+1

I was gonna weigh in, but yall covered everything. I have two sets of blades for my 54" Deere ZTR. I bend them frequently, so since I'm a wanna-be blacksmith I've gotten very good at straightening, sharpening, and retempering the blades. $55 for a set of blades would make me go broke as often as I have to work on them.

Uh, whats up with the blades bowing ? I have a JD ztr and just replaced the blades with mulchers and the old ones were bowed down. I could understand up but no comprendo on bowed down...

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/12/13 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: BillD

Uh, whats up with the blades bowing ? I have a JD ztr and just replaced the blades with mulchers and the old ones were bowed down. I could understand up but no comprendo on bowed down...

High velocity on cheap metal.
Manufacturers are also using thinner blades to save money these days. They use the least amount of carbon, cut back on the hardening process and try to overcome it with cosmetics - like the "bear claw" or some other design.

The bowing effect comes into play when the blades try to cut thick grass, which naturally pulls down on the cutting surfaces. Over time - sometimes not long at all - the blades begin to to bow.

As far as deck level - the front needs to be a little lower than the rear to prevent drag on the blades. Drag creates friction, which pulls a heavy load on the engine and components. You cut the grass, then try to cut it again after it passes the center of the deck.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/12/13 08:59 PM

Great now I will be home tonight with a lazer level checking mine because its in my head now ..OCD is never fun.. hammer
Posted By: barndoor

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/12/13 09:13 PM

I didn't know that. I thought they were suppose to be even.
Posted By: barndoor

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/12/13 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: COWDOG

Sorry fellas ...
Had to wait a week for the grass to grow back before I could test...

Well here is what it was

I changed the 2 blades (42" John deer riding mower)
They had some good Knicks in them

Aired the tires

Found the deck was 2.5" higher on the right side

The front was 2.5" lower than the left and right.

Leveled the deck and raised the front 1/4" higher to prevent double cutting as told by the John Deere rep

Well...

IT WORKED

Yard looks even lush and GREEN!

Thanks for the feedback fellas!!!!

I would like to see a before and after picture. I don't believe you.

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/12/13 09:18 PM

I think it's because your left blade is offset and to the front. The blades cant be side by side.

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/12/13 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Great now I will be home tonight with a lazer level checking mine because its in my head now ..OCD is never fun.. hammer

Yep...My OCD was kicking in BIG TIME.
I turned a 30 min job in to 2hrs...

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/13/13 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: barndoor

I didn't know that. I thought they were suppose to be even.

Think about using a side grinder. If you place the grinding blade flat, not only does it try to find its own direction depending on the amount of pressure you apply, but it doesn't remove much material at all.
But turn it up on its edge and watch the sparks fly.
Posted By: BillD

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/13/13 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Orn

High velocity on cheap metal.
Manufacturers are also using thinner blades to save money these days. They use the least amount of carbon, cut back on the hardening process and try to overcome it with cosmetics - like the "bear claw" or some other design.

The bowing effect comes into play when the blades try to cut thick grass, which naturally pulls down on the cutting surfaces. Over time - sometimes not long at all - the blades begin to to bow.

As far as deck level - the front needs to be a little lower than the rear to prevent drag on the blades. Drag creates friction, which pulls a heavy load on the engine and components. You cut the grass, then try to cut it again after it passes the center of the deck.

I'm severly impressed. I didn't know they have PHD's in lawnmower blade dynamics but you obviously have one. These blades that bent are off a 72" deck and they are not flimsy "looking" at least. Thanks for the info, Dr. Orn
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/13/13 12:28 PM

I have mowed more grass than most, having done yards in the summer and being a baseball coach for 25 years, and mowing a ton at home....

Check in this order:
Tire inflation
visual inspection of blades
Deck raise/lower mechanism
Deck unlevel
removal/inspection/sharpening blades
Bent spindles
Bent/twisted mower deck

In fact, if you want pretty, you should check the inflation and visual under deck check every time
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/13/13 05:22 PM

+1

The remnants of ash tree stumps I've cut down. Really need a stump grinder for a day. I've bored holes and put the poison in them, filled some with diesel and lit em off, but I've still got some left.

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/13/13 09:52 PM

What notch do you mowing experts set your deck on, and do you blow off your driveway with the mower or the blower.
Posted By: Payne

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/13/13 09:57 PM

+1

The remnants of ash tree stumps I've cut down. Really need a stump grinder for a day. I've bored holes and put the poison in them, filled some with diesel and lit em off, but I've still got some left.

Stack firewood on the stump, I usually start with 3-3-3 crossed. Then keep adding logs until it's a foot under the surface.
Posted By: Payne

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/13/13 09:58 PM

What notch do you mowing experts set your deck on, and do you blow off your driveway with the mower or the blower.

3", no driveway, St Augustine grass
Posted By: woodwalker

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/14/13 02:10 AM

[/quote]
Stack firewood on the stump, I usually start with 3-3-3 crossed. Then keep adding logs until it's a foot under the surface. [/quote]

Cut both ends out of a 55 gal barrel, set it on end on top of the stump supported by rocks or bricks, then build the fire. Keep adding wood as needed. It'll burn the stump out a lot faster than just building an open fire on it.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/14/13 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Payne

3", no driveway, St Augustine grass

3 or 4 - if real dry

driveway depends on how lazy I feel that day

Re: Mower cutting uneven - 08/27/13 11:53 PM

I have to do all this to my two year mower, but I'm waiting on cool weather.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum