Texas Hunting Forum

Feeding deer

Posted By: Gage T.

Feeding deer - 01/31/10 04:43 AM

Should i feed em all year long? I been huntin 2 years i am not what you would call an expierence hunter/i shot a total of four deer so far the season coming i am getting on a lease in polk county

Posted By: jshouse

Re: Feeding deer - 01/31/10 12:10 PM

if you can afford it, for sure. there are plenty of threads on here regarding when and what to feed, just dig a little.

good luck

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Feeding deer - 01/31/10 02:48 PM

http://www.deer-library.com/artman/publish/article_117.shtml

Something else that might come in handy.

http://www.noble.org/WebApps/PlantImageGallery/Index.aspx

Posted By: DKG

Re: Feeding deer - 02/13/10 08:19 PM

We feed ours all year and they are use to it. We feed about 30-45 bags of protein a year.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Feeding deer - 02/13/10 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Gage T.
Should i feed em all year long? I been huntin 2 years i am not what you would call an expierence hunter/i shot a total of four deer so far the season coming i am getting on a lease in polk county

I assume you are talking corn and it's up to you. We feed corn year-round, but the deer numbers showing up drop way off when things start greening up. This of course is in a clearcut where everything growing is down at their level.

Posted By: deerslayer78

Re: Feeding deer - 02/14/10 10:12 AM

Yeah Gage will be hunting on my lease. His spot is along our fence line and I've hunted there before and know he will do well if he just keeps his efforts up. A lot of people think it's all fun and games til they realize the work that some hunters put in to put the meat on the table. Gage if I were you I would say follow my lead man. Feed corn all year, put out some Throw & Gro and No Plow and put out a couple of Trophy Rocks. If Bubba doesn't get on or use my old game camera then you can use it. I don't mind. Anyway, the thing about feeding all year is that when the acorns start dropping the number of deer around your feeders will drop too. Then once the acorns are scarce they will pop back up to your spot. It can be somewhat swayed though by keeping the proper stuff out and having it readily available to the wildlife. "Plan for the Worst and Hope for the Best!!!" Hope this helped you....Frank.

Posted By: Oline Coach

Re: Feeding deer - 02/14/10 04:31 PM

We generally feed year around.I want all the deer in the area to no the area is safe and always the candy.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum