Texas Hunting Forum

Finding sheds in December

Posted By: bdvick

Finding sheds in December - 12/30/09 05:03 PM

I have a ranch in Lavaca Co, and we started finding sheds last weekend... We found 4 sheds. Do u all think that the lack of available forage due to drought is causing the deer to shed permaturely ? We have fed protein all year and it is disappointing to have this happend so early.

Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/30/09 05:10 PM

How many have you found already....sounds strange to me?

Posted By: BillingtonRanchTaxidermy

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/30/09 05:18 PM

It happens occasionally. We've gotten in a couple of deer during late December and mid January in the past that had shed already or were about too. This season is so screwed up that nothing surprises me anymore. The two year drought really has messed things up everywhere.

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/30/09 05:52 PM

As of today, we have found 4 sheds. We our in a MLd program, so our season goes through feb. and we have about 33 doe to shoot; So, with that said. e have to be careful and make sure it's a doe.

Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/30/09 07:10 PM

Ny chance they are from last season? Bleached looking, chewed up, delapidated looking? That does seem real strange but w/the way the rest of this season has been nothing would suprise me now.

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/30/09 07:19 PM

id bet they were from last year....JMO..... and if not, then i sure hope that trend doesnt spread to my part of the county....

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/30/09 07:46 PM

The shed were from this year, cuz we also have deer on camera with one antler and blood on the head. Last year we found one shed in late december. Our is ranch is 1500 acre high fenced. Maybe this is a sign that our desity is way up there and we need to extensive culling.

Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/30/09 07:50 PM

Must have been fightin' like a SOB! That's all I can think. Also, when they lose them naturally I don't think they bleed, @ least not enough to be visible on a game cam.

Posted By: jackwabbit2

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/30/09 08:15 PM

It does happen I shot what I thought was a big doe in december last year turns out it was a buck that had allready droped its horns. We went to the game warden office in brownwood to have them check it out and they sadi that it sometimes does happen but not often.

Posted By: rtp

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/30/09 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: LFD2037
Must have been fightin' like a SOB! That's all I can think. Also, when they lose them naturally I don't think they bleed, @ least not enough to be visible on a game cam.

Yes they do bleed enough to be visible on pics and in person. I have witnesses many deer that have just shed their antlers and the blood will run down their head for a very short time. It is interesting to see to say the least. Never seen any sheds in Dec in my part of the world. Do the bucks rut really early like late Sept/early Oct in Lavaca county like they do in some other coastal counties? Maybe this is why they shed so early.

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/30/09 09:21 PM

Our rut is in october. Normally we don't start finding sheds until early march.

Posted By: MathewsBowMan

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/30/09 09:55 PM

This didn't happen TX but 2 weeks ago my buddy and his boy were hunting South of Springfield MO. It was a doe season and his boy shot a doe (he thought) it was a buck that had already shed it's horns and no doubt about it being a buck.
It's MO but he say's it's still way early for that to happen for them.

Posted By: SOMMERTIME

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/30/09 10:38 PM

I was hunting N of Springfield this past weekend and buck where seen without antlers.

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/30/09 11:26 PM

which part of lavaca co. u in?

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/30/09 11:34 PM

Speaks.....Check us out @ thevickranch.com

Posted By: huntingpj

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/31/09 12:13 AM

I saw two bucks last year in sutton county they had dropped in mid january. I almost killed them for doe's at first glance, before i glassed them and noticed they had white spots on thier heads, and a pair between thier legs.

Posted By: jbs8307

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/31/09 02:54 AM

you have to kill 33 doe off of 1500 acres. Thats probably not your antler problem but i say you have a density problem.

Posted By: MogulRanch

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/31/09 03:03 AM

We've never seen any sheds even remotely close to deer season... seems a little strange to me or i'd be shed hunting on horseback a lot earlier in the year

Posted By: huntandfish

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/31/09 03:29 PM

I think it might have something to do with the bad conditions we've had. The man that owns the place next to us said he don't remember a time when it was so dry like we had it in 08-09. He is in his 60's his family has owned his place for many years. The only thing that was green was the rosehedges and trees!!

Posted By: bassackwards dav

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/31/09 09:24 PM

Ive seen it happen on places where the deer density was to much for the ranch to carry and the deer in poor condition. But I havent seen heathy deer loose them this early. I wittnessed a guy shoot a buck which was in poor condition and when the deer hit the ground off came his antlers. LMAO. rofl

Re: Finding sheds in December - 12/31/09 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: bdvick
Speaks.....Check us out @ thevickranch.com

well, u arent too far from me.... im over near the crossroads

Re: Finding sheds in December - 01/04/10 04:29 PM

We saw 2 bucks this weekend with one antler....Thanks for all the helpful output.

Posted By: muddslinger_lp

Re: Finding sheds in December - 01/04/10 05:02 PM

Maybe it is last years sheds. Seems to early for this year.

Posted By: okietex

Re: Finding sheds in December - 01/04/10 06:04 PM

Yes they will shed this early usually due to poor range conditions shot some does

Posted By: yotesmoker

Re: Finding sheds in December - 01/09/10 12:55 AM

when would one find sheds in NTx?

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum