Texas Hunting Forum

How far will a buck travel.....

Posted By: txhunter24

How far will a buck travel..... - 12/08/09 03:45 PM

during the rut? Seems like I've heard up to 5 miles but Im not sure. Anyone know for sure?

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: How far will a buck travel..... - 12/08/09 03:58 PM

I think it depend on the location adn deer density.. Panhandle maybe 8-10 sections... hill country 3-4 sections

Posted By: Longhunter

Re: How far will a buck travel..... - 12/08/09 04:43 PM

I hunt 7000 acres, and the doe stay close to home. However far they have to go to get food, water,and back to bed. The bucks stay fairly close to home, but during the rut the bucks are all over it.

Posted By: ghollow

Re: How far will a buck travel..... - 12/08/09 04:54 PM

A study was done years ago by radio collaring some bucks. The mature bucks would roam an average of 6000 to 10,000 acres during rut. Some went over 12,000 acres. Does rarely travel more than a mile from where they are born.

Posted By: BenBob

Re: How far will a buck travel..... - 12/08/09 05:21 PM

Was hunting mule deer this past week and we saw a buck that had traveled about 6 miles as a crow flies from late Friday afternoon to late Monday afternoon. I know whitetails are different, but I found this pretty interesting. Mulies are fixing to begin the rut in West Texas.

Posted By: Lipan Creep

Re: How far will a buck travel..... - 12/08/09 06:16 PM

Deer will travel over 5 miles in one night. My cousin has a cotton field out west that is just over 5 miles from the nearest ranch. Not a deer in sight during the day, but shine a spotlight on it during the night and its full of deer.

Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: How far will a buck travel..... - 12/09/09 04:00 AM

I hunted a large ranch that had the same buck at two different feeders 5 miles apart. The rut was in full swing at the time a couple weeks ago.

Posted By: Mykol

Re: How far will a buck travel..... - 12/09/09 04:08 AM

After he roams and the rut is over, will he go back "home"?

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: How far will a buck travel..... - 12/09/09 01:07 PM

Our lease is over 3 miles deep. A few years ago we had a little dink buck with a double drop tine running around. Very reconizable. I saw him in the very back of the lease and ran into him again up front in less than an hour. No rut. Just him wandering around.

Posted By: killemall

Re: How far will a buck travel..... - 12/09/09 03:54 PM

Are bucks tend to stay close to home but there is always 1 or 2 newbies that pop up during rut.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum