Texas Hunting Forum

Bad experience with the processor

Posted By: Sirrah243

Bad experience with the processor - 12/02/09 06:11 AM

11/9/2009 I harvested a 2 1/2 spike. Aged on the hoof and confirmed by tooth wear. I didn't weigh him, but he wasn't exactly a small bodied buck. I took him to a processor in Springtown. I was told he would be ready in 7 to 10 days. On the 20th I called, still not ready. The 25th they call and say come get him. Due to work schedule I didn't get there till today. First they can't find my order. After some checking it turns out that they some how changed my name to A.J. on the paperwork. How does that happen when my first, last and middle initial is clearly printed on the tag. Then they bring out my order that consists of 4 packages of back starp, 1 package of tenderloin and 14, 1 lb packages of ground. This was a 2 1/2 year old buck with no wastage, shot behind the shoulder in the vitals. I asked for the rest of my order and was told "that's it, it must have been a samll deer." I disagreed. The processor went looking for the rest of my order while the lady at the counter explained to me that she didn't eat deer meat and had no reason to cheat me. She went on to say that the facility does not mass process and that each deer at their facility is individually processed. They were not able to get anymore meat from my deer than what was packaged. Ok, whatever, it's not worth arguing about. When I drooped my deer off I asked that the hide be saved because I intended to make a rug. I was told "thats not a problem" and she wrote it on my sheet. Before I left I asked for the hide. The processor dug around in a couple of the freezers and told me that he couldn't find the hide and that I would have to come back later. I told him that I live to far away to come back. The processor acted like he was disgusted with me and said that he would have to get his coat, gloves and flash light and walked away. Later he returned with a trash sack that contained my unfrozen stinking hide, and said that he couldn't find it earlier because he had left it in the trailer. This processor is also a taxidermist, you would think he would have known that a hide would not keep for 22 days. Needless to say I will not be using this processor again. Has anyone else had an experience like this? I have always done my own processing in the past. Maybe I should continue doing it myself.

Posted By: azcoyote

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/02/09 12:38 PM

Where was this processor? I will make sure to stay away!!! The placde I use is in Palo Pinto too!

Posted By: texas_sooner

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/02/09 01:06 PM

That really sucks. I'm always leary of leaving my deer meat at he processor. Just so many things that can go wrong, and you have no control over it. And I just don't have the time to do it myself, so I have no choice.

Where is he? I'll also be sure to stay away.

Posted By: Prarie dawg

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/02/09 01:19 PM

Had the same problem last year with Joshua processor, they was told that I would be out of town working and when I get back I would get it picked up, they said ok. They called said it was ready I told them I was in DC and would be home in a few weeks, they again said ok. When I got back no deer meat. Will never use them again.

Posted By: thorn4570

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/02/09 01:35 PM

i use to use a processor near springtown bewteen springtown and azle but becuase of raising prices and bone fragments in several deer that i had picked up i have not used them in years.

Posted By: jjandcompany

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/02/09 03:30 PM

1/3 of dressed weight=70+- lb 18 month old 20+ odd lbs. age doesent mean weight,,dry year, hard to call on that one.

Posted By: Trust

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/02/09 03:41 PM

I know the place you are talking about and I will not take a deer there and I will not buy steaks or other meet from their butcher counter.

If they should find your hide and you can not pick it up let me know. I can grab it for you and put it in a freezer until you can get out this way.

Posted By: RDub

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/02/09 03:54 PM

yeah I don't see how that guy stays in business.

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/02/09 04:24 PM

Doesn't sound like a good place

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/02/09 04:24 PM

I think I will stick to places that are game processors only. I'll buy meat some at a butcher shop, just all the bad experiences I have had or heard of come from combination shops

Posted By: JDavis7873

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/02/09 04:55 PM

Can't say enough good things about Hunter's Choice out of Sanger. I think I actually got more meat than I should have this go round.

Not counting the sausage I got, I've got to figure out what to do with 33lbs of hamburger meat and 22 packages of minute steaks. I guess there are worse problems to have.

Posted By: RandyW

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/02/09 06:41 PM

That's not a problem I can take it off your hands anytime. I wished I could have those types of issues.

Posted By: Driller

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/02/09 06:59 PM

I have taken a couple in to be processed but I prefer not to.

Posted By: PineNut

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/02/09 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: JDavis7873
Can't say enough good things about Hunter's Choice out of Sanger. I think I actually got more meat than I should have this go round.

Not counting the sausage I got, I've got to figure out what to do with 33lbs of hamburger meat and 22 packages of minute steaks. I guess there are worse problems to have.

But does that mean that the guy before you got shorted on all his deer?

Posted By: JDavis7873

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/02/09 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: PineNut
Originally Posted By: JDavis7873

But does that mean that the guy before you got shorted on all his deer?

No, that probably just means I am a lousy judge of weight. This year's buck was a lot bigger than the last one I shot 2 years ago.

Their pickled deer sausage is outstanding too.

Posted By: luv2brode

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/02/09 09:46 PM

never had a problem with my processor
and i will continue to do it myself

Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/02/09 10:14 PM

I had a problem with Old Plantation myself. Used them once but never again.

For the record I recommend Kent Wenzle's Lone Star Meat Company in Hamilton. It is a long drive but worth it.

Posted By: riley

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/02/09 11:09 PM

I've had some bad experiences with processors in the past. The frustrating part is there is nothing you can do. You can argue with him, but you won't win. The only thing you can do is just not use them in the future. Sorry about it, taxidermist or not anyone with any common sense knows you can't keep a hide for that long exposed.

Posted By: drdavidovich

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/03/09 02:15 AM

Why all the mystery? Call this place out by name and save some of us from a bad experience.

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/03/09 03:18 AM

JR's processing. It's off of 199 behind Old Plantation Meats. Last years was the first time in 20 yrs. that I used a processor. I used Old Plabtation and was very plesed with the service. A friend of mine recommended that I use JR's so I followed his advice and now regret it. My friend thought it was crazy that I only got 14 lbs. of ground too. He is not going to use JR's anymore either.

I harvested a doe on the 30th and took her to Teel's on the North side of Weatherford. I'll let ya'll know how that turns out.

Posted By: texas_sooner

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/03/09 01:21 PM

Anybody ever try bay area processing on pasadena blvd in pasadena? Thinking of trying them this year, if i get to shoot anything.

Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/03/09 02:38 PM

There is a new place here in Bridgeport called Mas Meat Market. They did an awesome job on mine. I took the deer to them quartered and he charges $1.50 per pound unless you want sausage, jerky, or something else. I had my deer back in three days. The price even includes mixing the ground with beef.

Not to mention they have awesome meats. They have some marinated fajita meat and it is outstanding.

Posted By: COWDOG

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/03/09 02:49 PM

Hamiltons in weatherford...ummm no thanks

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/03/09 02:56 PM

The Deer Stop in Whitesboro is a good place. He keeps a clean shop and is an honest guy.

Posted By: wannafish?

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/09/09 05:04 AM

Be glad you got 14 lbs back. My son picked his (9 point buck) up from the processor in Rendon on FM 1187 after making 2 trips cause they couldn't find it also. When he finaly got the meat it was 6 packages of steak and 8 lbs of burger.

I am proud (and the processor is lucky) that he kept his conposure about it and marked it up to experiance not to go back. A few years ago he would have been calling me from jail.

Posted By: fastliberator

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/09/09 02:56 PM

sooner,

There is a place down close to Lake Jackson called Luckenbach's Deer Processing. Little drive for you about 50 miles, but he is good, reasonable, and he does the deer individually.

And yes he is one of the last original Luckenbach's form the hill country.

Posted By: pk1616

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/09/09 03:27 PM

Not saying its the case here, but you guys have seen the condition of some of the meat dropped off with processors, which causes a significant amount of the "loss" people feel like they have from a processor. How the deer is cleaned, transported, etc all lead to how much meat you will get back. I don't know how big that 2 1/2 YO spike was, but where we are that would likely be in the 115 -120 lb range on the hoof (high end). Would probably get about 40 lbs total from a processor on a very clean animal of that size unless you are making sausage where you have adds. If you only take quarters it will be less. If shoulders are destroyed or meat is damaged in transport, etc., will be less. One of the processors I go to will tell the hunter when they are going to lose meat in the process, but I think most of them are too busy accepting deer to really do that.

Posted By: killemall

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/09/09 03:43 PM

I have had really good experiences with the following processors and use them regular. Hals in Coleman, Hamiltons in Weatherford, Georges in Glen Rose. I liked the guy in Bluff Dale but he is gone. I have heard good things about Clays in Dublin from friends. pk1616 is right on about condition of animal and the adds. If you want more then maybe you should shoot bigger deer.

Posted By: Lazy L

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/09/09 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: wannafish?
Be glad you got 14 lbs back. My son picked his (9 point buck) up from the processor in Rendon on FM 1187 after making 2 trips cause they couldn't find it also. When he finaly got the meat it was 6 packages of steak and 8 lbs of burger.

I am proud (and the processor is lucky) that he kept his conposure about it and marked it up to experiance not to go back. A few years ago he would have been calling me from jail.

Are you talking about Lee's?

Posted By: BenBob

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/09/09 08:50 PM

Before you use any processor, have them explain step by step the process they use for your deer, then have them explain step by step the process they have for keeping up with whose deer is whose deer. If they have trouble with either process, I would not use them. Organizational skills are needed to the max in this type of business.

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/10/09 04:59 AM

Originally Posted By: killemall
I have had really good experiences with the following processors and use them regular. Hals in Coleman, Hamiltons in Weatherford, Georges in Glen Rose. I liked the guy in Bluff Dale but he is gone. I have heard good things about Clays in Dublin from friends. pk1616 is right on about condition of animal and the adds. If you want more then maybe you should shoot bigger deer.

I would love to shoot bigger deer, but it was necessary to cull the spike. I wouldn't want him to continue breeding.

Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/10/09 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: texas_sooner
Anybody ever try bay area processing on pasadena blvd in pasadena? Thinking of trying them this year, if i get to shoot anything.

Dont do it! your in pearland take it to dorek's in santa fe

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/10/09 05:59 PM

80# deer

Head hooves, and hide= 25#
Bones left over from boning out= 20#

Total yeild of useable meat=35#

Posted By: john.sharp

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/10/09 06:27 PM

Maybee JDavis got some of your meant. HA HA

Posted By: breid

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/10/09 08:27 PM

I'd call Horatio Cane from CSI Miami to do some DNA testing to make sure you even got the deer you shot.

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/11/09 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: breid
I'd call Horatio Cane from CSI Miami to do some DNA testing to make sure you even got the deer you shot.

Thats a good idea. We would have to dig up the hide and extract DNA from the hair folicles because 14 lbs. of ground meat dosen't last long around my place.

Posted By: rude

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/12/09 07:20 AM

Clays in Dublin is probably the best they even have a full meat market. Clay and Scott Estes are good people.

Posted By: wannafish?

Re: Bad experience with the processor - 12/15/09 05:09 AM

Originally Posted By: WhiskyD
Originally Posted By: wannafish?

Are you talking about Lee's?

Not Lee's. It was YO or something like that.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum