Texas Hunting Forum

Deer feeder question.

Posted By: Curly

Deer feeder question. - 12/02/09 12:57 AM

Does anyone out there use a gravity type feeder instead of a timer feeder year round? The deer on our lease seem to come eat corn anytime they want anyway. On our lease, just because a feeder goes off doesn't mean we'll see deer come to it soon afterwards.

Posted By: fordtough

Re: Deer feeder question. - 12/02/09 12:59 AM

you will when all the acorns are gone, ive our acorns are goin away quickly, either bein ate, or spoiled, but the deer are comin out more and more every day

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Deer feeder question. - 12/02/09 01:00 AM

Man in east texas we have about as much luck, have seen better luck on hogs with PVC pipe rollers...

Haven't tried gravity corn though...

Posted By: Curly

Re: Deer feeder question. - 12/02/09 01:01 AM

The deer are coming to the feeders now, just not on any particular time schedule. My game cam proves that.

Posted By: fordtough

Re: Deer feeder question. - 12/02/09 01:03 AM

ive got alot comin in at night, but i make the feed time shorter, the seconds it spins, that way they run out a lil quicker and come when theres food on the ground.. ive had to do that before and it worked pretty good, now i get them when the feeder goes off

Posted By: jim1961

Re: Deer feeder question. - 12/02/09 01:10 AM

Our gravity feeders are protein only and the deer come at all times but feed heavy at night. Our spin feeders and a few trough protein feeders are timed and the deer come pretty quick so they don't miss out

Posted By: PineNut

Re: Deer feeder question. - 12/02/09 02:07 AM

First year hunting in East Texas and what I am seeing is exactly in line to what you are seeing. Deer are eating the corn but it is when they want to, mostly at night. Not enough deer at one time to finish it up so there is always some out. Hopefully a little time and cold weather will change that.

I am used to deer running in when the feeder goes off, definitely not the case out here. Nice change of scenery though compared to cactus and mesquite, I like it.

Posted By: ACKHNTR

Re: Deer feeder question. - 12/02/09 02:18 AM

Posted By: pk1616

Re: Deer feeder question. - 12/02/09 06:44 AM

Has anyone used the capsule feeder? Saw it at the show in Ft. Worth, just wondering how well it works in the field.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum