Texas Hunting Forum

E. Tx advice

Posted By: corvette

E. Tx advice - 11/29/09 05:56 PM

Hey all! What else can I do? I have 120 acres in Cass. Very heavily wooded. The does were coming to the feeder, but not the bucks. Have a feeder out and 3 trail cams. One on a sendero, the other near the feeder and the last one in the bottoms near the stream. I tried a urine drip last year and it got nothing. I have seen "buck bomb" spray. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Troy

Posted By: ramit315

Re: E. Tx advice - 11/29/09 06:05 PM

Hand feed the lanes. I didnt see anything on my lease in East Texas and was told by some of the locals to hand feed and it has been great ever since.

Posted By: robbf213

Re: E. Tx advice - 11/29/09 07:09 PM

Find and hunt the acorns. Forget the corn for now. There are acorns everywhere and that is what they are on up here. Especially look for white oaks...

Posted By: greyhornet2000

Re: E. Tx advice - 11/29/09 08:35 PM

Horse and Mule.... Works everytime.....

Posted By: corvette

Re: E. Tx advice - 11/29/09 11:47 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. Hi Robb! Our place is covered with white oaks, that will be easy! ha ha Troy

Posted By: billy gordon

Re: E. Tx advice - 11/30/09 02:34 AM

I tryed the horse and mule sweet feed and they left the oats and picked the corn out.

Posted By: PecosHntr

Re: E. Tx advice - 11/30/09 03:25 AM

The acorns are hard to contend with. I know a lot of guys that have stopped using feeders and found that more deer will come to corn put out by hand. You could also try buck grub, magic mix, or rice bran that alot of feed stores will carry. good luck!!!

Posted By: bigtuna

Re: E. Tx advice - 11/30/09 04:33 AM

Depending on if the rut is on in your area I might try some Doe in estrous scent to try and bring the bucks in.

Posted By: texas8point

Re: E. Tx advice - 11/30/09 01:52 PM

Food Plot

Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: E. Tx advice - 11/30/09 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: robbf213
Find and hunt the acorns. Forget the corn for now. There are acorns everywhere and that is what they are on up here. Especially look for white oaks...

x2.

Posted By: WesleyS

Re: E. Tx advice - 12/01/09 05:12 PM

All season I've had more success with bucks stopping to eat corn I threw out by hand. Only the does were visiting the feeder unless they came across the stuff I threw out first.

Posted By: Vepr73

Re: E. Tx advice - 12/01/09 05:25 PM

As of now we just need the acorns to finish dropping and spoil. Then It will be game on. They are sometimes comming to the food plots. But not eating that much. Hell I have 5pds of corn on the ground under my feeder as of now. Only feeding for 2sec morning and eve now. Till something starts eating it again. Funny thing is. The pigs aren't even eating the corn now. fresh tracks all around the feeder. Maybe they are on to me! Oh and the protien feed is still there to.

Posted By: Koolhandthehuntingman

Re: E. Tx advice - 12/01/09 05:56 PM

At this point of the year, I forget about hunting a stationary blind and I go to the woods as the big deer are not coming to the feeders - always check the wind. Most times I will just sit on the ground heavily camo'ed with Scent Block apparel

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum