Texas Hunting Forum

What gives in Eastland County ???

Posted By: BigPig

What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/23/09 10:50 PM

Since opening weekend there have been no pictures taken on any of our 13 cameras. All the deer, pigs, turkey, and coons seem to have disappeared. What's the deal?

Posted By: KevinTX

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/23/09 10:53 PM

They must have ate the poison.

Posted By: ffread

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/23/09 10:58 PM

X2

Posted By: Estexan07

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/23/09 11:02 PM

Same deal here in cherokee county. I put up a cam 3 weeks ago. First week (5 days) i got 300 pictures, week two i got ~200, this week i checked it friday and only had 80. Havent had a single pic since friday, nor have i seen any deer while hunting.

Ive hunted every single weekend since archery season opened, even sat in stand week before archery. Saw deer every single hunt. Now that rifle has started the pics i have been getting are mostly at night and ive only seen deer twice while hunting..

I dont know whats up. Its kinda discouraging though. Im sitting on stand right now, nada.

Posted By: scooter79

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/23/09 11:37 PM

I am in Eastland county too, I dont have problems with Pics. I have pics of many deer at NIGHT...Can't get a single deer to walk near me in day light. I don't know what to do confused

Posted By: duckingarrow

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/24/09 12:06 AM

Just got back from lease at Cisco. Saw six bucks and no does. Still getting some pics but not as many as a month ago.

Posted By: batman

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/24/09 01:36 AM

ACORNS!

Posted By: Estexan07

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/24/09 01:39 AM

My stand is surrounded by oaks and tons of acorns, which I watched them eat all through archery season. I'm hunting a small tract of land so my experiences probably don't relate to most others.. Maybe the doe are just being chased all over by bucks and haven't had a chance to wander back over to my place.

We shall see.

Posted By: duckingarrow

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/24/09 02:05 AM

No acorns where I am at. Some bucks may have some does locked up and doing the wild thing!

Posted By: huntnfishtx

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/24/09 04:48 AM

I hunted Saturday, Sunday and this morning.

I didn't see anything until this morning... had a 2pt with 1/2 his rack broke off chasing 2 does.

Checked my trail cams and all the movement has been at night.

Posted By: Bret

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/24/09 12:20 PM

Same here.. I hunted last tues-wed.. then back fri-sunday and only saw one small 6pt.. some game cames have them feeding at night.. but a couple of others have them feeding in daylight hrs.
We dont have too many acorns and the fire took most of the oaks.
I am still seeing dog tracks all over the place.. so I think them dogs might still be running the deer. I will be back this friday and see if my luck changes.. Hope yall start seeing more deer.

Posted By: BigPig

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/24/09 02:41 PM

Well it's going to be 2 weeks before I go back. According to google maps we r 45 miles from where the poisoning took place, so I don't think that is my problem. During archery season we saw all kinds of animals, the trail cams were blowing up, +200 pics a week, and deer moving 24hrs a day. We have tons of scrub oaks and lots of acorns, I know that isn't helping but damn I think they vacated our property. Hopefully December is the month

Posted By: Bret

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/24/09 04:36 PM

I am just southeast of carbon about 5 miles.. hoping this cold front that is coming in will make em come to the feed some more.. Yall have a good Thanksgiving!

Posted By: passthru

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/24/09 04:56 PM

Same with us in Young county. Very few pics and most of those at night. Nothing in the day is being seen.

Posted By: CurtisCatfish

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/24/09 05:11 PM

Eastland they go nocturnal by the 3rd weekend every year ! I hunted in gorman for 4 years ! I would see deer up till the 3rd sometimes maybe the thanksgivin weekend, then i wouldn't see another unless it was night time ! I hunted every weekend one year even in the snow and ice that year. I could see that they had been to the feeder at night but that was it !

Posted By: Tye

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/24/09 09:52 PM

Saw a bunch of younger bucks from Friday until today. Seems the older bucks didn't want to move during daylight hours. The rut seems to almost over near us. Some bucks are still chasing though but not like opening weekend.

Posted By: sodaman

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/25/09 12:59 AM

IF YOU CAN ON YOUR LEASE BECAUSE OF THE HUGE ACORN CROP THIS YEAR, DON'T HUNT YOUR FEEDER. BACK OFF TO A GOOD SECLUDED SPOT WHERE YOU CAN SEE A LITTLE WITH PLENTY OF COVER IN THE AREA. CAMO UP REAL GOOD KILL YOUR SCENT REAL GOOD AND SET BACK AND GET COMFORTABLE. MAY BE YOUR BEST CHANCE UNTIL ALL THE ACORNS ROT. THEN GO BACK TO THE FEEDERS.

Posted By: bassackwards dav

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/25/09 01:10 AM

Even in mason a place we have had for11yrs things are really slow as far as deer coming to the feeders.Nobody on this place ever seen it this slow. Just a great green up this yr.

Posted By: Deerlirous

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/25/09 02:01 AM

All the rain we have had in Oct allowed the natural food stay green a little longer. Once the 1st freeze occurs the corn hounds will return to the feeders. Yes, the acorns fell like rain drops, cant walk anywhere without crunching hundreds..

Posted By: RCTX

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/26/09 03:48 AM

I hunt near the Eastland / Comanche county line south of Gorman. I could have taken my four deer limit opening weekend but decided to only take one doe for the freezer. I hunted the last two weekends and didn't see a single deer. It seems to be the same scenario every season on this place. One of these years I will learn not to be so picky early in the season since my chances of seeing deer seem get slimmer each day. Hopefully a freeze will help but my hunting time in December is pretty limited.

Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 11/26/09 01:51 PM

It seems hit and miss here. A few years back when we had all of the rain, it was poor hunting - but obviously great for the deer. I'm seeing a lot of acorns myself, and a few deer....but my feeders aren't getting hit like they "usually" do . It'll pick up. I say if the deer aren't at the feeders then they have plenty to eat by way of acorns, foliage, etc., then better for the deer population.

flag

Posted By: CurtisCatfish

Re: What gives in Eastland County ??? - 12/01/09 08:54 PM

I hunt jacksboro and haven't seen 1 acorn on the ground or in the trees ! That is strange !

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum