Texas Hunting Forum

Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY

Posted By: DeerAddicted247

Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/14/09 02:40 AM

For the past week i have been almost crawling into my ground blind in the morning to bow hunt and there has been deer in my area everytime.. i even crawled in with my grunt to try to ease the pain when they trot off and BLOW! But they DONT come back all morming.. im thinking of SLEEPING IN THE THE BLIND OVER NIGHT? anyone ever done this???

Posted By: statesman

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/14/09 03:35 AM

I did it about 20 years ago, and froze to death. I didn't get much sleep.

Posted By: devildog28

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/14/09 04:14 AM

So just put the up and shoot 'em when you come up on them. But seriously I don't think you'd have a problem sleeping overnig.ht

Posted By: CTK3

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/14/09 04:19 AM

I wouldn't sleep very good in a blind. To be honest I don't think I'm that hardcore of a deer hunter.

Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/14/09 04:19 AM

I was gonna last night because I didn't have a generator for the camper anyways. I didn't due to having to tote too much crap to the blind.

Posted By: DeerAddicted247

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/14/09 04:33 AM

WELL I HAVE BEEN SPOOKING THEM EVERYTIME AND ALL WEEK WHEN I LOOK AT THE CAMERA ITS A FEW DEER AND THE BUCK I WANT TO SHOOT.. AND WHEN IM NOT THERE THEY STAY THROUGH SHOOTING LIGHT...SO IM JUST THINKING JUST TO TAKE ONE FOR THE TEAM AND ALREADY BE THERE.

Posted By: Jasb

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/14/09 04:49 AM

Do it man it won't be that bad.

Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/14/09 05:16 AM

Heck I'm in mine right now, gotta pee but other than that all good, pig hunt tonight then deer at sunrise!! I'm hardcore like that

Posted By: rstewlandman

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/14/09 05:34 AM

i would do it, but I am scared of black panthers bolt

Posted By: kbh

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/14/09 05:57 AM

I snore too loud.

Posted By: Britton

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/14/09 06:20 AM

I agree my snoring would scare everything within a mile.

Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/14/09 02:01 PM

we had a friend at our deer camp in Kentucky when I was little that would sleep under his tree stand on the eve of opening morning. All he would use is a blanket...

Posted By: BigPig

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/14/09 02:47 PM

It couldn't hurt anything, get one up on the deer, sounds like a plan to me, good luck

Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/14/09 03:11 PM

Im planning on building a room sized box blind on my place. Room enough for a cot, and Ill have a coleman cookstove for heat and a bucket to use when nature calls. That way, I can just go down there at night, wake up and shoot. Wont have to talk myself out of a warm bed in the house, and get everything out and go. Ill already be there. May have to see about getting one of those sprint cards for the laptop so I can sit there and surf the internet while Im sitting. Will have to have a little table builtwith the laptop on one side and I can lay my gun or bow down on the other side.

On second though, Ill just put a deer feeder up in my back yard out my bedroom window, that way, I dont even have to get out from under the blanket in the morning to shoot.

Seriously though, if its not too cold, go for it. But if its real cold, it will be miserable and you wont sleep good and youll wake up feeling sick and congested. I remember all those times in a tent in Germany when it was 0 degrees out side. Youd wake up and feel all sick and have to pray for the strength to be able to make yourself unzip you sleeping bag.

Posted By: ffread

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/14/09 05:33 PM

Lots of opinions on here, pretty interesting comments as well

Posted By: 30378

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/14/09 05:43 PM

I sleep in mine quite often but I have a good chair. Just need to be prepared. Try it. One night will tell if you want any more of it.

Posted By: HAWKEYE911

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/14/09 06:25 PM

took the back and arms off of my office chair just to keep me from getting so comfortable that I would fall asleep in the stand.

Posted By: thorn4570

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/14/09 07:23 PM

i have done it. i also use to work midnights and i would get off work drive to the lease sleep alittle wake and look around and then sleep alittle while wake up and look around etc.

Posted By: h20thief

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/15/09 03:31 AM

I'd sleep in one overnight if I thought it would improve my chances. I'd bring plenty of cover just incase it got chilly and my cell phone to wake me up before shooting light. Good luck.

Posted By: 007

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/15/09 04:13 PM

When I hunted East Texas, I had an elevated 4x8 box blind. I would sleep in it in the middle of the day to keep from ruining my afternoon hunt. There was plenty of room to lay down and nap.
Now I am in West Texas and have a two story box blind. Bottom portion is 8x8 and top portion is 4x4. I have considered plans to spend the night in the bottom 8x8 with cot,heater and 5 gallon bucket but have not done so as of yet.

Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/15/09 09:09 PM

Wake up! and post us. I can't get out until Dec.

Posted By: Stax

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/16/09 12:29 AM

I aint that mad at'em....He would have to be a GIANT to get me to do this.

Posted By: moderno

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/16/09 12:42 AM

In the late 60's I went to the T.P. Lee Ranch south of Uvalde with my father and a lawyer from Gonzales to deliver some racehorses to Maxine Lee, who was in her late 70's at the time. This ranch was in excess of 20,000 acres if I remember right. We rode around on the ranch and looked at deer. They had 2 different stands built on 4 telephone poles each that were atleast 25 feet to the floor, that had a stairway going to the stands. They were about 12' x12' with big windows on all four sides. they were equipped with gas heaters and cook tops and had lp gas lights in them along with 2 cots for sleeping. Comfortable chairs and a propane tank on the ground. That amazed me.

Maxine Lee, told my father that the fence around the ranch was built in the depression by Brown & Root, for her father T.P. Lee. The story is that Brown & Root was about to go under during the depression and this job got the company back on track. The ranch is on HWY 117 south going to Batesville on the left. The fence is 6 foot chain link on cedar posts with strands of barbwire on top of that. Who knows this might have been the first highfence in Texas.

Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/16/09 06:17 PM

Go for it. I dont think I would get any sleep but it's a good idea.

Posted By: BARfly

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/16/09 08:25 PM

You could sleep in the blind, that's one option. Another is to try and just get there earlier. Get in the stand by 4 instead of 5:30 or so. That might do the trick. Or, move the blind. It sounds like it's positioned right in a bedding area. Try moving it a bit to one side so you aren't disturbing them in their sleep.

Posted By: Curly

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/16/09 08:38 PM

I sleep in my blind all the time.......dammit.

Posted By: Texas_Hunting_Best

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/16/09 08:46 PM

BARfly, that's exactly what i was thinking. move the blind a little, you don't want to be walking through their bedding area. move it out a bit and try to use a path as far from this bedding as possible when walking to the blind.

Posted By: huntnfishtx

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/16/09 09:04 PM

Assuming you're hunting in a box blind, get you one of those Army sleeping bags that are good to -40... just zip yourself up in it and sit down in your chair and you'll be good to go

Posted By: MELackey

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/16/09 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: 007
When I hunted East Texas, I had an elevated 4x8 box blind. I would sleep in it in the middle of the day to keep from ruining my afternoon hunt. There was plenty of room to lay down and nap.
Now I am in West Texas and have a two story box blind. Bottom portion is 8x8 and top portion is 4x4. I have considered plans to spend the night in the bottom 8x8 with cot,heater and 5 gallon bucket but have not done so as of yet.

sounds like a neat idea. Any chance of getting pics or a copy of plans to build something like that?

Posted By: big rack hunter 137

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/17/09 01:14 AM

i snore and fart a ton and have to pee at 2 in the morning every night i sware

Posted By: fordtough

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/17/09 01:33 AM

give it a whirl whats the worst that can happen?

Posted By: killemall

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/17/09 01:42 AM

Outstanding idea! Do it and then let us know how it went. I am prepared to get in the blind from 5:30 am-9am and 3-dark and if that won't do it then it just don't get done. Sleeping in the blind sounds about as bad as sitting on stand all day. The way it would go for me I would sleep in the stand until 5 am then have to hit the crapper and it would all be for nothing.

Posted By: RDub

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/20/09 06:38 PM

lol that's not a bad idea. Put ya shower and hot tub in as well.

Posted By: Red_Breast

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/20/09 06:54 PM

I've slept on the ground from midnight to legal shooting time while duck hunting. Used my blind bag as a pillow and had my waders and a coat on to keep warm. Slept like a champ all night.

Posted By: Bullshipper

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/20/09 07:30 PM

Get you a stout toddy before you go to bed....will help you sleep better and warm you while you sleep smile

Posted By: BenBob

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/20/09 07:31 PM

My brother did this in an oat field one time where we had a blind. But his idea was to out early the deer. Him and my cousin got up at 3:00 in the morning and went to the blind in hopes that if the deer ran off, they would have time to calm down and come back and still be there at daylight. I think all he got was frostbite on his hands, as it happened way back when it got cold.

Posted By: riley

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/20/09 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Britton
I agree my snoring would scare everything within a mile.

X2

Posted By: BIG RACK

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/21/09 12:58 AM

nidea Get a bottle of wiskey a pillow blanket and you will sleep like a baby

Posted By: FlTxHunter

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/21/09 01:29 AM

It's not so bad as you might think. I've done it on several occasions. The blind that I hunt out of the most is 6x9 and it is big enough to accommodate a cot and all the chairs. It is truly amazing what you get to see through the night. Especially when the moon is nearly full. Even with no moon, it is very exciting to see the flash of your game camera going off that lets your imagination take over wondering what that might have been that set it off. I truly enjoy it.

I'd highly recommend using an empty milk jug with a tight cap instead of a bucket for going #1. Oh and make sure you sight in your "gun" outside of the blind before shooting it from the blind. As always when shooting a gun of any form, ability to aim and hitting your target is everything. As for #2, I wouldn't know but that sounds like a disaster before it ever happened. But please do share how your experience went. On second thought that might be too much info.

Posted By: tkuehn5410

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/21/09 04:36 AM

I have slept in the blind many times and will always have a mr heater or heater buddy in there with me to keep me warm as well as a blanket or two. I also have 4 by 6 and 4 by 8 blinds so it makes it fairly comfy and will sleep on the floor.

Posted By: Sundial

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/21/09 08:55 AM

I think that if they are busting you, they will bust you anyhow, you just won't know it and they won't show.

I would approach from a different area, set up outside the blind with heavy camo and scent cover, downwind if possible, and try to get them coming or going.

Posted By: dsancho

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/23/09 01:41 AM

agreed, we get there really early dark as night and sleep an hour or two before daylight.....but this is one of the smallest blinds on the place..... banana
[img:center][/img]

Posted By: RobertY

Re: Sleeping in the blind.. LITERALLY - 11/23/09 01:49 AM

I don't think sleeping in the blind would be bad at all. I take a sleeping bag to my blind all the time when I do a full day hunt. I just push the chairs back and plop down. I have a funnel with stuck in a cut off watering hose inside the blind, the hose runs out the blind and down into a small hole in the ground. Works great when ya gotta whiz. Pack a nice ice chest, a few sandwiches and get em!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum