Texas Hunting Forum

I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move???

Posted By: MVP

I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/09/09 03:39 AM

I know it's a good problem to have, but I want to get a buck! I'm in east Texas NF and new to hunting, advice please

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/09/09 03:40 AM

nah, as soon as u move, the bucks will go to that spot. give it time, something will show up!

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/09/09 03:55 AM

Sounds like a good spot. One will show up eventually. Ask for a doe permit.

Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/09/09 03:58 AM

Sounds like its time to practice on some does...get some of the shakes out and start blasting

Posted By: MogulRanch

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/09/09 04:00 AM

harvest a doe and wait for an interested buck to start chasing those doe

Posted By: Stax

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/09/09 04:03 AM

Stick with the chicks, he will show up sooner or later...

Posted By: Tres

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/09/09 06:21 AM

Ruts coming, I'd hang tight.

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/09/09 08:50 AM

Thanks, these replies are encouraging!

Posted By: luv2brode

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/09/09 01:50 PM

stay you have activity and worse case ya get a doe, yummy

Posted By: drdavidovich

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/09/09 02:09 PM

Nothing attracts bucks this time of year like a doe group. Hang tough you will get the pay off.

Posted By: age n score

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/09/09 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: MVP
I know it's a good problem to have, but I want to get a buck! I'm in east Texas NF and new to hunting, advice please

No, stay put and wait. up

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/09/09 06:31 PM

My father n law shot a 12 point no more than 500 yards from my stand. It was lying down...not chasing does. I hope my turn will come soon now! Will send pics later

Posted By: Diablobowhunter

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/09/09 07:24 PM

Hang tight. I have hunted every weekend since bow season and it comes in phases and cycles. Opening weekend, took a nice buck that was in a group of bucks. This past weekend...moon too bright, all nocturnal, but saw a really nice buck really chasing a doe hard Sunday morning. Rut is starting and they will get stupid. Hang in there. If you stay in one spot and there are a lot of does, the bucks will come to you.

Posted By: catchin'

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/09/09 07:47 PM

There is saying in fishing, that "you never leave fish to find fish."

The bucks will come and find the does.

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/09/09 08:21 PM

I'm hunting a new place this year and I've never seen a place like this. It's over run with does and fawns and since bow season started I see on every trip at least 7 does and fawns and have seen as many as 21 does and fawns at one time, and have only on just one or two times I've seen a spike and a couple small eights, and that is it.

I've been hunting a lot of years and realize that it's just a matter of time and the bucks will show up because the does are like a magnet once they go into heat, but it still makes you wonder where they are all holed up at?

Posted By: TyBU

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/09/09 10:05 PM

That is a goood thing. Having a good group of doe coming into your stand area is what will bring the bucks in. Just be patient because around thanksgiving the big daddy will show himself.

Posted By: DeerAddicted247

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/10/09 12:10 AM

ABSOLUTLEY DONT MOVE.. when the rut kicks in you will have no problem.. and eveidently you have a good food source.. it has been proven that food trumps love even with bucks eventually

Posted By: Luv2Hunt

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/10/09 12:12 AM

If you have that many does on you where you are hunting. STAY RIGHT THERE. When those does began to come into estrus, those bucks will come pouring in, trust me.

Posted By: northcentraltex

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/10/09 01:21 AM

If you have does you will see bucks sooner or later. If you don,t then don't go back there next year because someone is killing them before you get there. Also, older bucks are smarter and probably won't show up in daylight if there is
anything out of the ordinary. Remember they live there every day and if they ar over 4 years old they are already wise to hunting season. Look for brush moving in the thick areas away
from the feeder. The boys just can't resist polishing those
horns before a night out with the girls. I have spotted many
bucks in thick brush that way. Good luck! !!!!!!!

Posted By: aggie96

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/10/09 01:26 AM

I have the reverse problems. Saw 16 diffrent Bucks and 3 Does. Most of the bucks I saw were either 1.5 or 2.5 years old. I believe the rut is going on and the mature bucks have the does pinned down in the bedding areas. I did shoot a good 10 saturday morning.

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/10/09 02:07 PM

Ok, now I tried to harvest some does. Shot 4 times (3 in one sequence) and killed only one (running does). Haven't seen any deer in 3 hunts now. Is this all "fished" out for now?

Posted By: AcesAnEights

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/10/09 04:47 PM

My current spot constantly had nothing but does and turkeys. They were consistant, so I stuck around. Last year at that spot I missed a chance at a nice 10 point, got a 10 point, and this year same spot a decent 8 opening morning.
Like the others have said, stay there it will pay off.

Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/10/09 06:59 PM

jujst wait it out, its about time or is time depending on what area you are in to start hunting the does, when i say that i mean where there are consistanly does the bucks will come!!!

Posted By: Stax

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/12/09 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: aggie96
I have the reverse problems. Saw 16 diffrent Bucks and 3 Does. Most of the bucks I saw were either 1.5 or 2.5 years old. I believe the rut is going on and the mature bucks have the does pinned down in the bedding areas. I did shoot a good 10 saturday morning.

I dont feel sorry for ya!!! LOL

Posted By: RobertY

Re: I've seen 12 does in 3 hunts, no bucks, should I move??? - 11/12/09 02:07 AM

Its still VERY early in the season. We still need a hard freeze and some cold days to get all the deer moving. I'm having troubles understanding why you shot 4 times and only killed one doe? Were you shooting at moving deer for all 4 shots??

Doe's are buck bait IMO. Once rut kicks in, you'll have all the honeys for those big bucks.

Next time shoot once, but shoot late so all the animals are really relaxed and comfortable. Most of my does killed were with other deer and half the time after the shot, the other deer kinda walked around and then slowly moved off. If you're shooting at spooked deer, that aint good.

Once the rut starts moving in, don't attempt any more harvesting and have patience. Also, rattling horns will be your friend. Getting bucks to move in after a fight (over all your chicks) will bring in some great deer.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum