Texas Hunting Forum

When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases?

Posted By: BigDad

When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/16/09 06:09 PM

My son and I hunt deep NE TX just North of Lake O The Pines. I'm trying to plan a time to take some time off work to go deer hunting. I know the deer are in rut sometime around the 2nd or 3rd week in November. Do the moon phases have an impact on the rut? Would like to pick a time when the bucks are most active. The is a New Moon on Nov 16, would that be a good time?

Posted By: pig out

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/16/09 06:26 PM

definitely don't go when it's a full moon, 3 quarter moon, or half moon you don't know how many time I've been skunked because of the moon phases.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/16/09 06:36 PM

I'm not one to really pay much attention to these sort of things. B/C regardless of moonphase, I'de rather be in the woods that anywhere else when I get a chance. I assume most game activity charts are the same, but I found a lot of truth in them over the last few years. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm still on a stand when the feeders go off, but have been suprised when I decide to sit on the stand on through lunch or get there early in the afternoon to see deer slip into the food plots pretty consistent to what the charts show. (This would be assuming "good weather conditions")

Chart

Posted By: james77351

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/16/09 06:40 PM

if your like most of us you can only really go on the weekends. and most of us will hunt any moon if your not out there you cant kill them. i hunt no matter what the moon is doing i don't see as many deer on a full moon but i do see some. so if its deer season i say go hunting as much as you can

Posted By: rtp

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/16/09 06:50 PM

The moon phases are important to game movement times. But these can be easily overriden by hunting pressure and secondly weather conditions. My place has very light hunting pressure so I have been able to observe game movement as it relates to the moon phases for a long time now. My favorite time to hunt is 2-5 days after the full moon. I like to hunt the afternoons and this period puts the major game movement in the afternoon to evening time frame. There has been on major study done on the rut as it relates to the full moon and it was found that the major part of the initial rut will likely occur with or just after the full moon. With all of that though, anytime is hunting time in my book. Wish I was there now.

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/16/09 06:57 PM

I usually see a ton of deer on the mornings on and following the New Moon.

Posted By: Zaraspook

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/16/09 07:15 PM

There is some disagreement between wildlife biologist on the effect of(or lack of) the moon on deer rut activity. Moon phase theory says that the rut occurs 2-10 days after the second full moon following the Autumnal Equinox. Or after the third full moon following the Autumnal Equinox for southern states.

Autumnal Equinox this year is Sept. 22. That would kick off the rut around Nov. 7 or Dec. 6 depending on where you hunt. The Oklahoma panhandle northward tends to be the early zone.

Posted By: CFR

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/16/09 08:22 PM

I have to agree with rtp's post. I go whenever I can, but over the years have noticed in November and December, the days right after a full moon are when I see the most rutting activity. Keep a log of what you see, the date, and the moon phase. I did and found the info very interesting.

Posted By: rstewlandman

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/16/09 08:26 PM

best time is around when the feeder is gonna go off, i like to get there 30 min before that....sometimes the moon is still up sometimes its not....

Posted By: Brownwood

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/17/09 05:09 PM

Im not a big fan of the full moon. Seems like afternoon activity gets real slow. Ther does seem to be some rut coorelation with the full moon but in my area, where ther is pressure, it seem like most of the rutting takes place at night.

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/17/09 06:38 PM

Full Moon is definitely the best. You don't need a spotlight! stir

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/17/09 08:08 PM

def go on a "no moon"

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/17/09 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon A
def go on a "no moon"

I agree %100 I will definitely be in the woods every day the week of Nov. 16th. up

Posted By: jrich

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/17/09 09:04 PM

new moon!!!

Posted By: jrich

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/18/09 12:12 AM

Anybody seen the moon phase for opening bow season? sucks!!!

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/18/09 01:06 AM

I recently read of a new study of deer that were tracked by radio transmitters and it said it found no correlation of deer activity and lunar movement.

Personally, I don't believe it. I've hunted far too long to ignore the fact that deer sightings during morning and evening hours drops like a rock during a full moon.

Posted By: kilt it

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/25/09 08:10 PM

I will always hunt no matter the moon. I have found after a full moon, the deer move later. The longer you are in the woods the better chance you have of shooting a deer.
I always wonder why some hunters assume deer stop moving at 10am?? Maybe it's a sore rump?

HAPPY HUNTING

Posted By: milo

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/28/09 05:18 PM

Lots of guys swear the deer move closer to the middle of the day during fuller moon phases. I believe the best time to hunt is anytime you can.

Posted By: kilt it

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/28/09 11:13 PM

Its been years since I've hunted Tx, but in Michigan, they move about every 4-6 hrs. Believe me, if I could have sat that long, I'd spend all day in the woods.
It's great to be back home!!

HAPPY HUNTING

Posted By: Longhunter

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/29/09 01:59 AM

Haven't shot one at the house yet... But I just like being in the woods! cool

Posted By: BIG RACK

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/29/09 02:10 AM

kill or no kill i like being in the woooods coachSO JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.

Posted By: Jay9371

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/29/09 05:49 AM

I try not to hunt on a full moon. I see more numbers on the 1st quarter and 3rd quarter moon. Then again, I've seen alot of deer on a new moon as well. If you close to where you hunt then I would not even consider the moon phase and just go to be in the woods. However, if your like me and are a long way from the lease then I would avoid the full moon and go any other time.

Posted By: DSST_Construction

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/29/09 06:08 AM

i go when i get a chance, i dont have enough opportunites to be picky when i can hunt

Posted By: ccbaseball

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/30/09 04:02 AM

agree. i still go hunt bc I am down but I see fewer deer the the moon increases. during the rut i dont care about the moon bc the rut cancels it out....definitely plan on hunting a new moon

Posted By: milo

Re: When to go deer hunting?? Moon Phases? - 09/30/09 11:53 AM

James Kroll says that moon phase has no effect on daytime movement. I'm not sure I agree with that, but that fella has spent a lot more time watching deer than I have.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum