Texas Hunting Forum

deer & pecans

Posted By: basscast

deer & pecans - 09/07/09 07:56 AM

Has anyone seen deer eat pecans in texas, without many acorns this year would it be good to hunt around pecan trees.

Posted By: nuprofessor

Re: deer & pecans - 09/07/09 08:14 AM

I am not in Texas, but I can tell you that the deer in Missouri absolutely love pecans. I have seen them go past white oak acorns to get at the pecans. Some of our largest deer come from river & creek bottoms that have an abundance of pecan trees.

Posted By: poisonivie

Re: deer & pecans - 09/07/09 02:10 PM

I lived on a pecan farm for 2 yrs and cleaned a LOT of deer while there. I never once found a pecan in a deer's stomach. Now the turkey, on the other hand, can put a serious dent the the pecan crop.

Posted By: txhunter24

Re: deer & pecans - 09/07/09 02:16 PM

I have always heard they do but I cannot prove that. I think alot of deer are shot in pecan orchards and riverbottoms but I think it has alot to do with the fact that Pecan trees love to grow where deer love to roam. Great question...

Posted By: Longhunter

Re: deer & pecans - 09/07/09 02:24 PM

Yes sir, I have seen deer eat pecans on the Concho river bottom. And pecans are high in protein... up

Posted By: txhunter7

Re: deer & pecans - 09/07/09 02:28 PM

yes they do. my friend shot his biggest buck hunting around pecans

Posted By: AdgerC15

Re: deer & pecans - 09/07/09 08:02 PM

ya they eat pecans on our place

Posted By: JCB

Re: deer & pecans - 09/07/09 08:06 PM

When I hunted Lampassas I had a stand on a creek bottom that was littered with large pecan trees and I never once saw a deer eat a pecan in two years on that place!

They loved the Red Oaks, White Oaks, Live Oaks, and corn feeders, but never saw one eat a pecan!

Posted By: tgravley

Re: deer & pecans - 09/07/09 08:13 PM

we have an pecan orchard with about 40 trees in the middle of a crp field and even now with no pecans on the ground they are in there every nite

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: deer & pecans - 09/07/09 11:20 PM

ive heard a lot of people on this thread say they have seen deer in pecan bottoms.... well, ive seen deer in a gravel pit, and killed some there too.... but ive nevr seen em eat a rock.... just sayin, ive seen lots a deer in pecan orchards etc. but ive never seen one in a deer stomach, or noticed one actually eatin em. ive always wondered if some actually will eat a pecan.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: deer & pecans - 09/08/09 01:44 AM

I have seen them eat the pecans, they literally snap the shells and spit the shell back out. Saw it on the Concho river and a lease out side of Brady. On the place on the Concho river you could pour out a sack of pecans in the morning and they would eat them and leave a pile of shells.

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: deer & pecans - 09/08/09 02:32 AM

^^thats cool!

Posted By: TX_Huntress

Re: deer & pecans - 09/08/09 02:37 PM

Yes, deer eat pecans. I've seen it myself in San Saba.

Posted By: poisonivie

Re: deer & pecans - 09/09/09 03:40 AM

Ain't it weird how we all have totally different personal experiences on the same thing? Definitely yes and definitely no.

Posted By: Lazy L

Re: deer & pecans - 09/12/09 04:16 AM

In Granbury there is a community called Pecan Plantation, is a gated community and if you ever get a chance to get in, you will never ask if deer eat pecans! Its a real big community and have hundreds of acres of pecan groves.

My brother knows people there and we went to a b-day party there last fall, I have always heard of how overrun they are with deer but until you actually go there it will blow your mind. they are in peoples yards in the median of roads just hanging out it is a major problem, that they cant get rid of.

I have never seen anything like it.

Posted By: rstewlandman

Re: deer & pecans - 09/12/09 03:03 PM

so do turkey...i killed my first turkey in a pecan orchard on the Colorado River in Goldthwate Texas....saw lots of deer that morning too

Posted By: bear9075

Re: deer & pecans - 09/12/09 05:45 PM

Growing up we had several pecan trees in our back yard on the edge of town. We had deer come in and eat pecans at nite. I used to sit in a small storage building and watch them feed just a couple feet away. We also had a fox that would come in and eat pecans just about every nite when the pecans were ripe.

Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: deer & pecans - 09/12/09 06:00 PM

I know of a 5 gun lease in Eldorado that tags out year after year on 140 ac. pecan orchard.

Posted By: LFDTRUCK3

Re: deer & pecans - 09/12/09 09:48 PM

I GUESS IF YOU GET HUNGRY ENOUGH YOU'LL EAT ABOUT ANYTHING!! MIGHT BE THE SAME FOR OUR FOUR LEGGED GHOSTS. I WAS JUST OUT SCOUTING YESTERDAY AND FOUND A HUGE PECAN TREE RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF A BUNCH OF MIXED TIMBER, AND THOUGHT WOULD A DEER EAT A PECAN?? IT TASTE BETTER THAN AN ACORN!!!

Posted By: LFDTRUCK3

Re: deer & pecans - 09/12/09 09:50 PM

OH YEAH HOOK EM HORNS!!!!!

Posted By: RamItOne

Re: deer & pecans - 09/13/09 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: TX_Huntress
Yes, deer eat pecans. I've seen it myself in San Saba.

well it is the pecan capitol smile

Posted By: TxAggie10

Re: deer & pecans - 09/14/09 01:00 AM

On my families place near Gentrys Mill (highway 36 at the comanche/hamilton county line)....the deer will eat pecans but do not prefer it. They tend to stick to corn, oat fields, and non-native grass on our place. I have counted the turkeys by the hundreds....1000+ pecan trees on 650 acres explains that.

Posted By: postoak

Re: deer & pecans - 09/14/09 01:28 AM

I guess that means they're not likely to eat hickory nuts.

Posted By: D.R.Miller

Re: deer & pecans - 09/15/09 05:25 PM

hogs love em too

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum