Texas Hunting Forum

antler measurement

Posted By: FinFowlAndWhitetail

antler measurement - 09/05/09 05:21 PM

i was wondering why there isnt a measureing system that measures by submerging the antlers in water and measureing the amount of water they displace? it seems this would be the only way to get total antler measurement. the reason i bring this up is because when you have extremely massive horns (tines included) but lack a little in tine length i think the b & c system kind of cheats you out of some "points" (total antler isnt measured) maybe i am just thinkin to hard (matter of fact it is starting to hurt) bang

Posted By: passthru

Re: antler measurement - 09/05/09 06:25 PM

This is a pretty good idea. I don't like the spread measurement. How can you give credit for air, even though I like a nice spread. Long tines. Symmetrical rack. Not that I'm picky.

Posted By: deerhuntnow

Re: antler measurement - 09/05/09 10:22 PM

B & C gives you 8 measurements for mass which is a significant part of the total score. I wouldnt think that you would have alot of tine mass without the main beam mass.

Posted By: AmoCuernos

Re: antler measurement - 09/06/09 12:04 PM

displacement favors the northern "stuff going everywhere" freak than it does pretty typicals...

All systems are imperfect... I thing most people are happier now that Gross score is the generally accepted number rather than net now.

It never really made any sense to take away inches for symmetry...

Posted By: Rowney

Re: antler measurement - 09/06/09 09:01 PM

Amen to that.

SCI is the only score system i use. Net B&C just doesnt do a deer justice.

The new Buckmasters, BTR, scoring doesnt use spread, and its a gross score only. Not bad, but may not catch on.

Posted By: preston629

Re: antler measurement - 09/10/09 02:39 AM

you could use some type of gell to create a mold then fill it with water and pour the water out and measure that someway....would take somethinking though........

Posted By: tommyvo

Re: antler measurement - 09/10/09 03:35 AM

Nice work--thank you for sharing-
Thanks so much for this. I appreciate the effort. It really helps a lot.
Glad to read such a nice piece of information.
This is exciting news.
financement credit personnel | taux demande simulation pret en ligne à la disposition des particuliers un logiciel pour une simulation de prêt personnel en ligne financement credit personnel | taux demande simulation pret en ligne

Posted By: CBHunter

Re: antler measurement - 09/10/09 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: tommyvo
Nice work--thank you for sharing-
Thanks so much for this. I appreciate the effort. It really helps a lot.
Glad to read such a nice piece of information.
This is exciting news.
financement credit personnel | taux demande simulation pret en ligne à la disposition des particuliers un logiciel pour une simulation de prêt personnel en ligne financement credit personnel | taux demande simulation pret en ligne

Who invited this guy?

Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: antler measurement - 09/10/09 02:46 PM

no need to make a gel mold H2O displacement does just that.

To count spreas or not that's a tough question. I don't think the Books would change all that much if you dropped the spread measurement for all the scores. It might shuffle a few positions but I dought it would be many.

I would think it would just make all the scores lower.

Enough credit is already given for mass, as stated no deer is going to have a "fat main beam" with out fat tines, so the difference would be the length of the tine. When comparing deer with equal MB thickness.

If you counted the tine mass you have to count it for all the deer so its a realitive ratio the difference will be made up for some with length and other with mass.....

all scoring systems will include tine length, no matter how many mass measurement you want to add in.

Posted By: rtp

Re: antler measurement - 09/10/09 03:30 PM

There was a scoring method for exactly what you are descibing. It is called the Burkett measuring method and was being floated around about 10 years ago. It measured the volume of the antlers. It never did catch on.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum