Texas Hunting Forum

Reusing feeder t posts

Posted By: DQ Kid

Reusing feeder t posts - 12/23/23 01:13 AM

Any easy way to pull and reuse t posts for new feeder pens. Any semi easy way to pull feeder pen t posts and reuse? Sledgehammer, carefully pull out with truck hitch, etc.? At $5 a post, wouldn't mind saving a few $$$$. Thanks for advice...
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 12/23/23 01:23 AM

T-post puller. $47 at TSC. Been using mine for years.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 12/23/23 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

Use mine all the time and works great, but sometimes a 4' cheater pipe is needed.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 12/23/23 01:51 AM

I use my hi-lift jack with a chain
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 12/23/23 02:05 AM

This
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 12/23/23 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Any easy way to pull and reuse t posts for new feeder pens. Any semi easy way to pull feeder pen t posts and reuse? Sledgehammer, carefully pull out with truck hitch, etc.? At $5 a post, wouldn't mind saving a few $$$$. Thanks for advice...

Posted By: batman

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 12/23/23 03:47 AM

Like suggested above, get a t-post puller.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 12/23/23 04:28 AM

We used a chain and FEL on the tractor last week. We pulled ~30. Did encounter two that wouldn't pull-those suckers were in there. I think the holes were drilled with an air drill and then they were driven with tractor-mounted driver into 20"+ of solid limestone. Ain't nobody getting those two.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 12/23/23 05:09 AM

I always just use the redneck driver method.
Posted By: fishbait

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 12/23/23 11:52 AM

It's easy...take a pipe wrench and clamp it on the t-post...then take a hi-lift jack and jack it out.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 12/23/23 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by fishbait
It's easy...take a pipe wrench and clamp it on the t-post...then take a hi-lift jack and jack it out.

^^Excellent hack. Thanks. up
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 12/23/23 02:55 PM

Only put ours in the ground a foot or so they come out easy wiggle with one hand and pull. I hear so much about how feed pens have to be built with overlapping seams and 2 posts per panel etc. I’m sure those people are driving the posts way deeper than needed too. No overlap one post per panel posts about a food deep works fine for us.
Posted By: ctonsmitty

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 12/23/23 06:29 PM

T-post puller and T-post driver practically live in the bed of my Ranch pick-up truck.
Posted By: Woj

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 12/24/23 01:23 PM

hi-lift jack with this:

T-Post Puller Plate

I've tried a chain, and it slipped too often. This grips, holds, and keeps you jack close to the post. Works great.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 12/24/23 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Woj
hi-lift jack with this:

T-Post Puller Plate

I've tried a chain, and it slipped too often. This grips, holds, and keeps you jack close to the post. Works great.

This guy for the win, unless you have a tractor.
Posted By: Schooler

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 12/24/23 02:38 PM

We took down 1/4 mile of tee post earlier this year in half a day with a $50 tee post puller. Easy
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 12/24/23 02:51 PM

With the driver I can have a t post out of the ground in 1/2 the time it would take someone to get the 40lb hi lift jack and what ever else they need to go with it set up. It's like three, four max bumps under the notches.
Posted By: Woj

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 12/24/23 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Schooler
We took down 1/4 mile of tee post earlier this year in half a day with a $50 tee post puller. Easy

I suspect it depends on the 'soil'. I'm in Menard county, and the 'soft' stuff is compacted caliche that's damn near close to concrete. The rest is rock. So..... Jack with puller plate for me.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 12/24/23 03:27 PM

If you have just a few, waller them around a bit and pour some water down them. They will usually pull out fairly easily.
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 12/24/23 07:36 PM

Best way that I know. Makes life easy.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 01/05/24 02:47 PM

Front end loader on tractor is the easiest... but I've done it with winch on a four wheeler too, but the tee post puller from TSC works well for just a few
Posted By: Undercoverdog

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 01/06/24 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by fishbait

Posted By: BigPig

Re: Reusing feeder t posts - 01/09/24 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
With the driver I can have a t post out of the ground in 1/2 the time it would take someone to get the 40lb hi lift jack and what ever else they need to go with it set up. It's like three, four max bumps under the notches.

This
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum