Texas Hunting Forum

Buck on Trail Cam - Thoughts?

Posted By: apex32

Buck on Trail Cam - Thoughts? - 10/31/23 05:27 PM

First year hunting, my land is located in east TX with AR. These photos sort of suck but all I have of him so far.

Hard to tell especially for me but any thoughts on this guy?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have seen a decent size doe on camera and a really small buck as well last couple weeks.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Buck on Trail Cam - Thoughts? - 10/31/23 05:30 PM

I would be pulling the trigger on him. The sagging belly and massive neck says he's old for East Texas. And that has to be at least a 16 to 18-inch spread.

Hope you get him and be sure to post a photo if you do.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Buck on Trail Cam - Thoughts? - 10/31/23 06:03 PM

I can't tell if that's 1 deer, 2 deer or 3 different deer. Regardless, the 3rd pic meets AR regs and if he's mature enough, "drill him full of lead"
Posted By: freerange

Re: Buck on Trail Cam - Thoughts? - 10/31/23 06:29 PM

Like DQ, more than one deer there.

Re: Buck on Trail Cam - Thoughts? - 10/31/23 06:33 PM

I think top 2 pics are the same and third looked different at first - but the time stamp on the third is the same time as the top photo. Hard to tell, photos are not great. May play with the trail cam settings some more.

Given the time stamp for the 1st and 3rd pic thought these all might be the same deer.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Buck on Trail Cam - Thoughts? - 10/31/23 06:39 PM

Don't think so, pic 1 appears smaller rack to me and pics are 1 minute apart which could be an entirely different buck for sure

Re: Buck on Trail Cam - Thoughts? - 10/31/23 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Don't think so, pic 1 appears smaller rack to me and pics are 1 minute apart which could be an entirely different buck for sure

Probably right. Hoping to get some better photos. Thanks!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Buck on Trail Cam - Thoughts? - 10/31/23 08:02 PM

Deer 1 and 3 are the same deer. He stopped to itch, then walked forward in the next 60 seconds. Note the tines are all the same length in both pics and he's got those big front hooks. Nice deer, at least 4.5, will make ARs. Your call.

Deer 2 looks to have a different angle on his G2s and shorter G3s. IMO not the same deer (but washout photo is not helping).
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Buck on Trail Cam - Thoughts? - 11/01/23 09:24 PM

Same deer to me. 15” spread. They always look bigger from the back. 2 1/2 maybe 3 1/2 years old. Neck comes in high and is not in proportion to the head like a mature buck looks. Legal in AR county. Good luck if you decide to hunt him.

Re: Buck on Trail Cam - Thoughts? - 11/02/23 03:42 PM

Got a bunch of different deer last night, and a better shot of I think the buck that was looking back above. A lot of action between 10pm-2am where my cam is this week.

New photo:
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum