Texas Hunting Forum

What else worked for you besides corn?

Posted By: spoon33

What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/14/23 04:38 PM

Anyone had any luck with deer consistently coming back to eat on something besides corn or a food plot, like a salt block or some powder? I bought 2 different deer cocaine blocks I think they were called at Academy a few years ago and one got hit on a regular basis, the other one never got touched.

I did have some sweet feed powder that seemed to work well too at a diff spot.

Have you guys ever had good success with anything you can buy at the shelf at Bass Pro or academy when you place it by your feeder?
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/14/23 05:02 PM

I've had luck with Acorn Rage from time to time, but nothing more consistent than corn.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/14/23 05:27 PM

Corn mixed with protein pellets they hit pretty hard.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/14/23 05:30 PM

Bryant Grain Co Aledo TX deer blocks.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/14/23 05:53 PM

omelean
Posted By: fishbait

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/14/23 06:01 PM

Golden Nuggets , but around $15.00 per 50lb.s . good attractant and protein. Mix with corn in my feeders and threw a little on the ground. I threw about 10lb.s every other day in my pens. Well worth the money though. I also used roasted and plain soybeans...but again $22 per 50 lb. bag also high in protein(20%). But you will see they will eat the ground you throw them on.LOL I warn ya...get out of the pen fast as there will be customers Lol. Don't say I didn't warn ya...
Posted By: Coastalquacker

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/14/23 06:20 PM

I try different things sometimes just because and other times because it is on sale. I like the Big and J BB2 and just recently the Barrel Proof deer attractant. I've been feeding protein for about a year now and they have had their head in the troughs for the apple/butterscotch flavor way more than anything else. Not scientific but just an observation.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/14/23 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pope&Young
I've had luck with Acorn Rage from time to time, but nothing more consistent than corn.

the original was the bomb, then they had to change formula due to lack of resources and it became ok.

nothing beats good ol white oak tree on the edge of alfalfa
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/14/23 07:03 PM

My deer seem to like the “ barrel proof” sold at tractor supply.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/14/23 07:09 PM

Deer will eat a block which is nothing more than compressed protein pellets and corn sprinkled in.

They will eat cotton seed and rice bran but corn imo is the cheapest and best.

I don’t think a feed exists that will pull in a mature buck that would pass on corn.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/14/23 07:27 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Blank

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/14/23 07:38 PM

Golden Deer Nuggets (Record Rack) has worked good for us in the past. Several of the WMA's have allowed them, when you couldn't use corn. They don't hold up well to rain, tho, don't waste them.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/14/23 07:47 PM

Trophy Rocks have been great for me. Took a video out of my stand one year of a yearling buck and doe chewing on one 20 yards away. I usually dig a hole and bury one, then place another on top. In a few months there will be a knee deep hole where deer and hogs have excavated to find every last trace.
Posted By: Double AC

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/14/23 08:21 PM

Protein tends to be a better attractant for us than corn. We feed both
Posted By: Bowhunter 64

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/14/23 10:06 PM

Typically it’s corn during hunting season but I have found if I put out a 5 gallon bucket every hunt of all stock corn mixture I can keep ‘em there a while. They like the sweet feed . Guess it’s the molasses.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/14/23 10:20 PM

My deer here at the house and Oklahoma eat the snot out of a bag of Big and J poured on the ground
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/15/23 05:40 AM

Big&J cube works good, but once the hogs find it uts done for for the deer. Best to have it in a feeder pen.
Posted By: PMK

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/15/23 11:13 AM

i have been pretty impressed with "Trophy Rock" at several places in Central and West Texas, as stated by someone earlier, they will beat down all the grass and even dig a pretty good divot where it was located. I haven't had much luck at our place in east Texas though. SW of Ozona, they lick them smooth in a few weeks and usually gone by mid Dec. when I put them out in Sept.

I've used the sulfur salt blocks (yellow) for decades with decent results pretty much everywhere I've hunted, not something the deer will go to over corn, but they will frequent while around a feeder that holds their attention for several minutes usually. Had a 2.5 y/o 7 point circle to the sulfur block 4-6 times Sunday morning of archery/MLD a few weeks ago at our Fairfield place.

for both, I suspect there are missing minerals in that area that draws them to either type lick spot.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/15/23 11:26 AM

First year putting out Sulphur salt blocks, but they appear to like the plain ol' trace mineral blocks better here. And I've never been on a place where they liked them as much as here.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/15/23 08:58 PM

Sugar beet Crush, keeps em coming in.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/16/23 12:25 PM

Oak trees... pick out a good one easy to hunt, clean out under it a little, and fertilize it twice a year.
Posted By: Fltmedic

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/16/23 04:01 PM

Big & J block or granules have worked as well as Record Rack Berry Block.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/17/23 01:03 AM

Persimmons
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/17/23 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Longhunter
Oak trees... pick out a good one easy to hunt, clean out under it a little, and fertilize it twice a year.

Not all oak trees attract deer the same.
I used to hunt a large oak surrounded by other oaks, but that one oak had trails leading to it from every direction. Kind of like the spokes of a wagon wheel.
The ground was always torn up around it and piles of deer droppings everywhere.
An oak magnet!
Posted By: LanceH

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/17/23 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by oldoak2000
Corn mixed with protein pellets they hit pretty hard.

What kind of protein do you mix with your corn?
Posted By: LanceH

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/17/23 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bowhunter 64
Typically it’s corn during hunting season but I have found if I put out a 5 gallon bucket every hunt of all stock corn mixture I can keep ‘em there a while. They like the sweet feed . Guess it’s the molasses.

What kind of sweet feed are you feeding? When I was a kid we fed our horses sweet feed and it was actual corn, molasses and other grains. I see now it looks like a pellet.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/17/23 05:59 PM

I have used a deer block by Hi-Pro feeds. It will literally disappear in 3-4 days and not by hogs. It is the best block for the money at 18% protein and it weighs 33 lbs. I can`t use it where I hunt now because we have so many hogs and I don`t have a feed pen.

https://hiprofeeds.com/products/gx-30-30-deer-block/
Posted By: Bowhunter 64

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/18/23 12:40 AM

All stock sweet feed. I think it’s about 12 % protein. But with the molasses they eat it up. You can’t put it in a feeder it will clog it up . I once picked out a spot in the woods and put a whole bag of it out with a camera . Even after it was gone the deer kept coming back for a month. Big and J works good as well, and it has a strong odor the deer like. Sweet feed is just cheaper .
Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/18/23 03:49 PM

We had a small property near Tomball where I used to hunt, and I frequently used Acco Horse & Mule "sweet feed"....which is basically a mixture of grains, cracked corn, pellets, and molasses. It smells incredible! I shot two deer and a hog using that as bait. I even saw a gray fox eating it one time. I've tried it in other areas, but it didn't work as well for some reason. I assume it worked well in that particular area because there were a lot of horse owners around, so the animals were probably used to it.

I've also used Chaffhaye to attract Axis on a property in Kimble County with very good success.
Posted By: Whammer7

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/21/23 04:39 PM

You could try to set up between bedding areas and feeding areas, or at pinch points in the terrain. Look for a string of scrapes and set up down wind.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/21/23 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bowhunter 64
All stock sweet feed. I think it’s about 12 % protein. But with the molasses they eat it up. You can’t put it in a feeder it will clog it up . I once picked out a spot in the woods and put a whole bag of it out with a camera . Even after it was gone the deer kept coming back for a month. Big and J works good as well, and it has a strong odor the deer like. Sweet feed is just cheaper .

I tried "sweet feed" once a few years ago and the cows just about destroyed my pen getting to it!
Posted By: 603Country

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/21/23 04:59 PM

Two things I’ve tried seemed to do better than basic corn. For a while I bought flavored corn in several flavors, and that worked quite well. And, in the interest of drawing hogs in range, I bought some Hog Wild and spread it around on the corn. It seems to work a bit on hogs, but it really did draw in the does.

My neighbor swears by powdered jello. I used it once at the yard feeder, where hogs rarely visit, and wound up shooting a big hog at that feeder. He buys the cheap expired date jello.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/21/23 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
Two things I’ve tried seemed to do better than basic corn. For a while I bought flavored corn in several flavors, and that worked quite well. And, in the interest of drawing hogs in range, I bought some Hog Wild and spread it around on the corn. It seems to work a bit on hogs, but it really did draw in the does.

My neighbor swears by powdered jello. I used it once at the yard feeder, where hogs rarely visit, and wound up shooting a big hog at that feeder. He buys the cheap expired date jello.

Vanilla added to corn works really well on hogs too. I use it in my pig pipe.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/22/23 01:38 AM

Shotsie’s urine. Every time she would get down from stand to pee, deer would come out.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/22/23 10:40 AM

Due to drought, my oaks didn’t make acorns. And, I couldn’t plant wheat. I have a metal table with 2 inch sides next to a feeder. A local city park in Hurst has oaks that pop out some huge acorns. Big as my thumb. I got a bunch of the acorns and put them on the table and they were gone when I went back a week later. No camera there. Wife is narrow minded about me hunting her “house” deer. OK, I also like to watch them. But, when she isn’t there….
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/27/23 10:15 PM

Roasted soy beans
Posted By: copperhead

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/28/23 10:40 AM

Horse and mule feed works good.
Posted By: DJ22

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/28/23 05:27 PM

Water

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deerslayer64d

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/30/23 01:06 AM

I’m sure not available now days but this thread brought back some memories from my youth , my dad use to lease a big ranch in San Antonio that ran from Shavano Park to Camp Bullis both sides of 1604 and from military Highway all the way up to what is now Blanca Road , I would go with him to feed and he would get these 55 gal cardboard drums of Fritos from the Fritos factory and feed them , there weren’t as many deer back then but they sure ate the heck out of those Fritos!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/30/23 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by deerslayer64d
I’m sure not available now days but this thread brought back some memories from my youth , my dad use to lease a big ranch in San Antonio that ran from Shavano Park to Camp Bullis both sides of 1604 and from military Highway all the way up to what is now Blanca Road , I would go with him to feed and he would get these 55 gal cardboard drums of Fritos from the Fritos factory and feed them , there weren’t as many deer back then but they sure ate the heck out of those Fritos!

Was that part of the McDonough Bros. holdings?
Posted By: deerslayer64d

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/30/23 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by deerslayer64d

Was that part of the McDonough Bros. holdings?

I’m not positive as I was a young kid but yes I would imagine so yes sir,
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/30/23 02:36 AM

Acorns > corn
Posted By: Booner1

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/31/23 06:01 PM

Martindale Feeds Hunters Mix, it has corn, roasted soybeans, molasses and a few other things . High in protein and the deer will homestead on it but at 20 bucks a bag it get a little pricey. So good even the turkey keep coming back .
Posted By: fredgus

Re: What else worked for you besides corn? - 10/31/23 09:26 PM

i hadn't thought about molassas in a while, when we hunted Mexico one rancher would fill a large bucket with molassis hang it in a tree and let it drip on a flat rock that was his feeder, worked really well no telling what would come to it
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum