Texas Hunting Forum

A Quick Tip

Posted By: BayouGuy

A Quick Tip - 06/22/23 02:13 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: A Quick Tip - 06/22/23 02:20 PM

1 is not necessary for the intended outcome. It may make it a little easier, but even in my 20s-30s, an early morning/big day almost guaranteed some zzzs on the afternoon hunt.

Re: A Quick Tip - 06/22/23 02:34 PM

That may be true QSYB, but once you pass 70 you can fall asleep a half hour in to opening day morning. yawn smirk
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: A Quick Tip - 06/22/23 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by BayouGuy
That may be true QSYB, but once you pass 70 you can fall asleep a half hour in to opening day morning. yawn smirk

When I was younger, I would stay up late drinking beer around the campfire. In the morning, I would half sleepwalk to my stand. Wake up around daybreak, then wake up again about 45 mins into the hunt. Now that I am older, I go to sleep early. Get up early and go to the stand, and still fall asleep half the time.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: A Quick Tip - 06/22/23 03:31 PM

After my shoulder surgery last December 28th, and the subsequent complete immersion training in how to sleep sitting up, I'm really looking to improve and increase my nap times on the stand this fall. up sleep
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: A Quick Tip - 06/22/23 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by BayouGuy

Half an hour? Rookie. 10 mins, tops, maybe 6 depending on how warm I am and how far the walk was.
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: A Quick Tip - 06/22/23 08:49 PM

Youth!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bowhunter 64

Re: A Quick Tip - 06/23/23 10:55 AM

I have always wondered how many old bucks got a free pass because hunters fell asleep. It is easy to do the early morning hunts.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: A Quick Tip - 06/24/23 08:12 PM

Never slept in a blind. Shut my eyes a few times before the sun comes up but never slept.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: A Quick Tip - 06/24/23 09:38 PM

After decades of hunting from ladder blinds in Louisiana, and having hunted in Texas from box blinds, I thought it might be good to make a box blind for my aging Dad. Made it from treated wood, roofed it in tin. Took it to him and put it where he wanted it. Shortly after that, I called him from Texas to see how he liked the box blind. He said “heck boy, I can’t stay awake in that thing”. Apparently he hunted from it one rainy evening, and he didn’t show up at the house about the time he should have. My younger brother found him sound asleep in the blind. He said the rain on the tin roof did it. It made me happy.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: A Quick Tip - 06/25/23 12:09 AM

Sleeping in a deer blind is one of life’s greatest pleasures
Posted By: TCM3

Re: A Quick Tip - 06/25/23 01:22 AM

I still fall asleep.

Re: A Quick Tip - 06/25/23 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Sleeping in a deer blind is one of life’s greatest pleasures

up
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: A Quick Tip - 06/25/23 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
After my shoulder surgery last December 28th, and the subsequent complete immersion training in how to sleep sitting up, I'm really looking to improve and increase my nap times on the stand this fall. up sleep

Been there, done that twice. I am retired and stand most of the day, if I sit down I fall asleep except for driving.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: A Quick Tip - 07/11/23 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by 603Country
After decades of hunting from ladder blinds in Louisiana, and having hunted in Texas from box blinds, I thought it might be good to make a box blind for my aging Dad. Made it from treated wood, roofed it in tin. Took it to him and put it where he wanted it. Shortly after that, I called him from Texas to see how he liked the box blind. He said “heck boy, I can’t stay awake in that thing”. Apparently he hunted from it one rainy evening, and he didn’t show up at the house about the time he should have. My younger brother found him sound asleep in the blind. He said the rain on the tin roof did it. It made me happy.

Raindrops on a metal roof will do it most of the time.
Posted By: Booner1

Re: A Quick Tip - 07/17/23 06:53 PM

Up until last season, I hunted very close to home . It was a small property so I would get there about 2 hours before sunrise to let everything settle down from my walk in and slept in the blind . I would set the alarm on my cell to vibrate and then put it under my cap or stocking hat on top of my head to wake me up before first light , worked like a charm and I really enjoyed the great sleep in the blind .
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum