Texas Hunting Forum

My 9 year old

Posted By: coachwhite34

My 9 year old - 12/27/22 04:10 AM

Dropped his first deer on Friday. Before anyone rags on me, we do not typically shoot yearlings, but we have had trouble with our feeders and are also in the process of putting up a new fence, so the deer have been few and far between. But, in two days this was all we saw. He has been waiting his turn for a few years so I agreed to let him shoot it. He is dropped it at a little over 100 yards. He is anexcellent shot and has eagle eyes, he can spot deer in thick brush better than anyone I know. Again, hated to shoot a young deer but it's all we had. One positive note the meat will be tender.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: My 9 year old - 12/27/22 04:23 AM

Congrats young man!!!! Be proud to boost about your ability to provide and serve your family at dinner time!!!

Welcome to eternal campfire of hunters!
Posted By: 8skate

Re: My 9 year old - 12/27/22 05:18 AM

Looks like a trophy to me.
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: My 9 year old - 12/27/22 05:40 AM

Trophy for sure. Smile says it all. He will always remember the first one. Congrats to both of you up up
Posted By: kry226

Re: My 9 year old - 12/27/22 05:45 AM

Well done, young man! Doesn't get any better than that! And ain't nothing wrong with that deer... will melt in your mouth! food
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: My 9 year old - 12/27/22 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by coachwhite34
Dropped his first deer on Friday. Before anyone rags on me, we do not typically shoot yearlings, but we have had trouble with our feeders and are also in the process of putting up a new fence, so the deer have been few and far between. But, in two days this was all we saw. He has been waiting his turn for a few years so I agreed to let him shoot it. He is dropped it at a little over 100 yards. He is anexcellent shot and has eagle eyes, he can spot deer in thick brush better than anyone I know. Again, hated to shoot a young deer but it's all we had. One positive note the meat will be tender.

[Linked Image]

The smile says it all. Coach, that is a trophy to that little boy and good eatin' too. Yall made memories together that will never be forgotten.

Don't worry about what people think.

Some folks on the internet have either never known, or forgotten what hunting's all about. It's not about "age & score" to a kid.

Good on you for getting him out there.

Posted By: Deans

Re: My 9 year old - 12/27/22 12:02 PM

Congrats to the youngster with the big smile and his first trophy. A great memory both of you.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: My 9 year old - 12/27/22 12:31 PM

Congrats young man you did a great job. That deer is a trophy in my book for sure. I remember a few that size I am very proud of having gotten some years are very tough and thankful for Gods bounty.

Great job Coach, memories for a couple lifetimes made.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: My 9 year old - 12/27/22 12:32 PM

Congratulations! I'd shake his hand and welcome him into the group of those that have hunted hard and achieved.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: My 9 year old - 12/27/22 12:48 PM

Awesome! Now he is hooked! Good job Dad!

Re: My 9 year old - 12/27/22 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by bobcat1
Awesome! Now he is hooked! Good job Dad!

He is definitely hooked, he is already talking about next year.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: My 9 year old - 12/27/22 01:45 PM

Congrats young man cheers that's an awesome first deer up
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: My 9 year old - 12/27/22 04:21 PM

Congrats to the young man! A youngster's first deer is ALWAYS a trophy!
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: My 9 year old - 12/27/22 08:04 PM

No criticism here. Where do you hunt? Looks like maybe a hill country deer?
Posted By: Marc K

Re: My 9 year old - 12/27/22 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by 10pointers
Trophy for sure. Smile says it all. He will always remember the first one. Congrats to both of you up up

This!
Posted By: joedav31

Re: My 9 year old - 12/27/22 08:59 PM

congrats on that deer!! dont apologize about that at all!

Re: My 9 year old - 12/27/22 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Red Pill
No criticism here. Where do you hunt? Looks like maybe a hill country deer?

Menard
Posted By: driftwood257

Re: My 9 year old - 12/27/22 10:13 PM

Good job. Hey , its more than I got this year.
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: My 9 year old - 12/27/22 10:21 PM

Menard seems right. Bigger deer here in north Texas, but not so many.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: My 9 year old - 12/27/22 10:32 PM

Good job. Takes more skill to hit one that size. Ought to be some good eating.
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: My 9 year old - 12/28/22 06:14 AM

Lone star rider 🤣🤣🤣 good job coach and son
Posted By: dkershen

Re: My 9 year old - 12/28/22 11:42 AM

Great job all around up
Posted By: reeder05

Re: My 9 year old - 12/28/22 12:28 PM

I really hate the fact that you have to apologize to the THF about the age/size of your son's first deer... Too many blow hards.

Congrats and good shooting young man!! Good job dad!!
cheers
Posted By: BOLT GUY

Re: My 9 year old - 12/28/22 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by reeder05
I really hate the fact that you have to apologize to the THF about the age/size of your son's first deer... Too many blow hards.

cheers

Nothing wrong with that at all! Happy to see the young man enjoy what we enjoy.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: My 9 year old - 12/28/22 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by BOLT GUY

cheers

Considering the fact that there hasn't been a single negative reply, I don't think he did have to apologize. Good job coach. You've got a hunting partner for life. Enjoy!
Posted By: reeder05

Re: My 9 year old - 12/28/22 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by BOLT GUY

cheers

Considering the fact that there hasn't been a single negative reply, I don't think he did have to apologize. Good job coach. You've got a hunting partner for life. Enjoy!

Yes sir, I probably could have worded that better... "I really hate the fact that you feel obligated to apologize..."

Nothing but good vibes in this thread!!
Posted By: joedav31

Re: My 9 year old - 12/29/22 02:28 PM

again........ im happy for you and the kiddo... thats awesome all the way around
Posted By: twdjr

Re: My 9 year old - 12/29/22 02:51 PM

up
Posted By: freerange

Re: My 9 year old - 12/29/22 03:50 PM

Congrats.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: My 9 year old - 12/30/22 02:23 PM

food up
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: My 9 year old - 12/31/22 03:04 AM

That is awesome Coach. Congrats to you and little man Sir cheers
Posted By: Espy

Re: My 9 year old - 12/31/22 03:12 AM

Heck ya good job lil man
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: My 9 year old - 12/31/22 12:27 PM

A first deer is a major Trophy and you and he have done well!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy new year and may this be the genesis of huge trophies in the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: My 9 year old - 12/31/22 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

[Linked Image]

The smile says it all. Coach, that is a trophy to that little boy and good eatin' too. Yall made memories together that will never be forgotten.

Some folks on the internet have either never known, or forgotten what hunting's all about. It's not about "age & score" to a kid.

This.

Now bust out some of that whiskey and give him a shot! roflmao

Re: My 9 year old - 01/03/23 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted by skinnerback

[Linked Image]

This.

Now bust out some of that whiskey and give him a shot! roflmao

Oh, he snuck one, hopefully it will deter him from picking that habit up.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: My 9 year old - 01/03/23 02:35 PM

cheers up
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: My 9 year old - 01/03/23 03:04 PM

Congratulations to both of you.
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: My 9 year old - 01/09/23 09:15 PM

up

food
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: My 9 year old - 01/14/23 05:35 PM