Texas Hunting Forum

Processing on your own

Posted By: Nickbyrd

Processing on your own - 12/07/22 02:03 PM

Super curious on how many of yall proccess 100% on your own. Years past just did backstrap and pretty much ground the rest . Well this year i took it upon myself to make sausage and other things and it turned out pretty dang good. Was a lot of work and little bit money but . Trying to kind of way out the pros and cons of diy or the proccesor . Hell i dont even know what it cost too get one proccessed .
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 02:09 PM

We do 100% ourselves.
I consider it part of the hunt. If you're unsure of how to do it, there's plenty of info on the internet.
A freezer full of elk or venison vacuum packed knowing it will last a long time is pretty rewarding.

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by angus1956
We do 100% ourselves.
I consider it part of the hunt. If you're unsure of how to do it, there's plenty of info on the internet.
A freezer full of elk or venison vacuum packed knowing it will last a long time is pretty rewarding.

Oh for sure i asked lots of questions and lots of youtube !!
Posted By: Davis300

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 02:12 PM

I've done 100% my own the last 5 years or so. Processers simply priced me out so I bought all my own stuff. Super satisfied but do miss the good summer sausage on occasion.

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 02:13 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 02:16 PM

We do all ours at home. Getting started costs a little to get a grinder and stuffer etc but most of it lasts a very long time. If you get comfortable you can work stuff around other things. I’ve ground and packed 50 lb of meat on a work night after dinner no problem, even made small sausage runs similar.

Save money not paying a processor, know what you’re eating, satisfaction of a job well done and I feel close to my Opie and where I come from when we do it. Well worth it to me. Makes me happy to see the kids involved and wanting to help.

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 02:18 PM

Can’t smell it or taste it but looks like you did just fine up
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 02:20 PM

I do a mix of processed and my own. Jerky, burger and whole muscles I do my self. Couple places I use because I can’t replicate their sausages.

Cinnamon creek-meat balls & brawts
Sklenariks- jap/cheese and habanero/cheese sausage and breakfast
Schneider’s- dried sausage
Posted By: Woj

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 02:32 PM

100% self processed. Ground burger & chili, jerky (cut and ground), sausage (pan, hot & sweet Italian), and cube 8/10 1lb packages for stew and stroganoff.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 02:53 PM

We do 100% ourselves.

Amen to all of this here!

I would not even think of letting anyone else handle mine.

We do it all

Hell, when I was a kid we had one weekend in January the entire family spent at my Grandma's farm butchering a big steer and two hogs.
Not a drop went to waste, not even the bones as those bones were used in the fires beneath the kettles making the panas on the last day!
Blood sausage (YUK), Liver Worst (Yum), sausage, ground meat, steaks, etc. Nothing was wasted including the tail of the steer for soup and we even scraped the hogs instead of skinning them to make chitlins.
The beef tongue was absolutely one of my favorite parts of the calf!
Posted By: Espy

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 03:06 PM

Never have takes a deer to the processors. Get a few people together and do it all ourselves.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 03:30 PM

I only use my local processor for a few things that he makes really well. His link sausage, tamales and bucksticks is all that I get made there. I always hold back the backstraps and tenderloins to do my self. Then I do my own whole muscle cuts, pan sausage, general grind, pastrami, etc.

I do want to get a stuffer and better grinder down the road, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
I only use my local processor for a few things that he makes really well. His link sausage, tamales and bucksticks is all that I get made there. I always hold back the backstraps and tenderloins to do my self. Then I do my own whole muscle cuts, pan sausage, general grind, pastrami, etc.

I do want to get a stuffer and better grinder down the road, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I got super lucky to have awesome neighbors . I helped him build his shop and he designed a kitchen in it stainless steel prep tables ,deep sinks ,deep freezer, two smokers , commercial grinder and stuffer . That space alone made it a 1000 times easier. I just had to sport the fat , work, seasonings and casings
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 04:23 PM

I usually don't have the time to process on my own. Occasionally I do and then I remember how much work it is. I do make my own sausage, and I really like doing that.
Posted By: howl

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 05:55 PM

Used to but I got married. She took over. My big gripe was it took her too long. So I bought her a Lem #12 Big Bite and told the 12yo daughter to pitch in. There's a lot less time involved when they can cut it off with minimal trimming versus what she was doing. We do still save some shanks and larger roasts for the Instapot, but most of them I have her just take heart, tenderloin, backstrap, sirloin and grind everything else.

Locally the best processor gets about $100 per with very basic cuts. If we were taking every deer there a grinder would be free after one season. Obviously if you make sausage the savings greatly increase.
Posted By: VMike

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 05:56 PM

I usually do my own. Have a good slicer and dehydrator for jerky. Want to get a grinder, stuffer and smoker to try my own sausage someday. Sometimes take a hindquarter in to get some jalapeno cheddar summer sausage made.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 06:11 PM

100% - Typically 6-8 deer a year. One doe for steaks. All back straps steaked out 4 to 6 inches & tenders packaged together. The rest goes to hamburger, breakfast sausage, dried sausage and fresh sausage. The bonus is all left over pork turns into straight pork sausage.

I have been bad not doing anything with the heart and liver. Might need to change my ways this year.

Schmeck gute!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 06:12 PM

I do 100% of my processing. Smoked sausage/summer sausage/various fresh sausages/boudin/pan sausage/chorizo/snack sticks/jerky/burger/bone in steaks/tamales/etc etc....The only thing I haven't made yet is dried sausage and hot dogs, that's coming this year.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 06:13 PM

we did all our own processing of wild game for the first 40+ years of my life, also several domestic hogs, goats, etc. It was a family event where my mother, father and I would work together to lessen the amount of work involved. Got lots of good visiting times in while doing so. Once my dad hit his late 80s, he said it was time to go to a processor as it was just too much work on him and mom. By that time, I found my time more valuable to be doing other things than doing it all by myself. My dad sold all his equipment (grinders, stuffers, tenderizer, slicer, etc.) before he passed. We've been using the same place since ~2002 and trust their work 100% but not sure how much longer they will continue due to their age and health. basic processing is ~$100, toss in sausage or other specialties and it goes up some. For the few deer we need these days, and lack of help, I'll continue to use the processor ...
Posted By: GNTX

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
We do all ours at home. Getting started costs a little to get a grinder and stuffer etc but most of it lasts a very long time. If you get comfortable you can work stuff around other things. I’ve ground and packed 50 lb of meat on a work night after dinner no problem, even made small sausage runs similar.

Save money not paying a processor, know what you’re eating, satisfaction of a job well done and I feel close to my Opie and where I come from when we do it. Well worth it to me. Makes me happy to see the kids involved and wanting to help.

Couldn’t have said any better than this. I like cutting meat and being intimately involved with the entire process from live to the table. You don’t have to cut everything in one session. I’ll process a a part of the deer and then maybe do something else for an hour or so and come back to the cooler to grab the next portion. No hurry as the meat is only getting more aging time before I get to it.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 06:22 PM

I process 100% on my own. Started ages ago with a hand crank grinder and a small c shaped stuffer. I have collected and/or upgraded equipment over the years to where I can process 4-5 deer a year without much issue. I do ground meat, breakfast sausage (feral hog), cube steak, backstrap steaks, roasts, andouille, and occasionally, summer sausage. I always save the hearts for Guisado, and this year, I am saving all the tongues. Gonna see what venison tacos de lengua tastes like.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by GNTX

Couldn’t have said any better than this. I like cutting meat and being intimately involved with the entire process from live to the table. You don’t have to cut everything in one session. I’ll process a a part of the deer and then maybe do something else for an hour or so and come back to the cooler to grab the next portion. No hurry as the meat is only getting more aging time before I get to it.

I'll age the whole deer, then do all the cutting in one fail swoop. Probably takes 2 hours to cut and package one deer. The meat meant for grinding gets put into 1 gal freezer bags. 5 lbs per bag. We'll freeze that and grind the meat a week or two later as we have time.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 07:00 PM

I do everything short of making link sausage myself.
I definitely like the control I have and the finished products speak for themselves
Did jerky yesterday on my Rec-Teq
Home made seasoning, no curing needed as it won't last that long..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: steventtu

Re: Processing on your own - 12/07/22 07:07 PM

We do all of our own processing and I'd highly recommend it! It's really not all that difficult and I like to know exactly how my deer is being handled. I also like doing my own processing because you can test out how different cuts will cook instead of having to decide in 5min at the processor. Also, you can experiment with different types of sausage that are more difficult to find—boudin, certain kinds of bratwurst, Italian, breakfast, liverwurst, you name it.

One tip—I like to freeze all of my grind meat into gallon bags (lay them flat so they'll thaw evenly) throughout the season and the pick a weekend or two to make bulk sausage. As you probably know, making sausage is pretty time consuming, so I'd rather produce 50-70lbs of sausage over the course of one weekend instead of doing it multiple times throughout the year.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 01:18 AM

I do my own- Muscle cuts, German Sausage, Breakfast Sausage, Jerky and ground. I do wish I had a real good boudin recipe to try.

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
I do my own- Muscle cuts, German Sausage, Breakfast Sausage, Jerky and ground. I do wish I had a real good boudin recipe to try.

Buddy did boudin last year it was good but really mushy . Think he put the rice thru the grinder with the meat and basically just came out almost like a paste
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 01:48 AM

After taking a 230 pound buck to a processor and getting one small box of meat, with only two packages of back strap steaks I decided it was time.
We had done all parts of processing at one point or another, so we went all in.
We have been doing our own for almost 20 years. Grind, sausage, jerky, packaging, etc.
It is very rewarding and part of the comradery and hunting experience.
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 02:30 AM

I have always processed my own. That was how my father and grandfather used to do it. Cut, trim, grind, sausage, jerky all done by me. When I put a piece of meat on the plate I know exactly how it was handled from the time the animal died until it was cooked.

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Nickbyrd

Buddy did boudin last year it was good but really mushy . Think he put the rice thru the grinder with the meat and basically just came out almost like a paste

That's not how it's done lol.

Holler when you get ready to make some boudin.

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Simple Searcher

After taking a 230 pound buck to a processor and getting one small box of meat, with only two packages of back strap steaks I decided it was time.
We had done all parts of processing at one point or another, so we went all in.
We have been doing our own for almost 20 years. Grind, sausage, jerky, packaging, etc.

I gave up on processors years ago, for a number of reasons.

Yes, it's very rewarding and with some trial & error, you can turn out a really good product.....and then you can learn and improve on that making it even better. I love the entire process. From the work during off season, the hunt, the kill, the butchering & processing, the making of various sausages & meat products, and most importantly sitting down at the kitchen table and sharing a meal with your loved ones knowing this is the deer you killed.

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

Didnt think so 🤣🤣 if you have a recipe id love to hear it tho . Theres some meat hanging in the freezer im going to help a buddy with this weekand and more to come soon .

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 04:16 AM

I make the bullets we kill ‘em with too.

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 04:57 AM

I'd like to meet you and you kids someday Red.

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 04:59 AM

Didnt think so 🤣🤣 if you have a recipe id love to hear it tho . Theres some meat hanging in the freezer im going to help a buddy with this weekand and more to come soon .

Don't have a written recipe. Comes from the heart.

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 12:32 PM

. . . . We have been doing our own for almost 20 years. Grind, sausage, jerky, packaging, etc.

Yes, it's very rewarding and with some trial & error, you can turn out a really good product.....and then you can learn and improve on that making it even better. I love the entire process. From the work during off season, the hunt, the kill, the butchering & processing, the making of various sausages & meat products, and most importantly sitting down at the kitchen table and sharing a meal with your loved ones knowing this is the deer you killed.

This right here. I used to get my stuff commercially made and from some very good producers. I got on a 9 pin bowling team in Marion and the square heads were always bringing dried sausage, cheddar cheese, saltines and sometimes pickles. Their sausage was better than mine. I asked where they had it made and they laughed at me. That was twenty plus years ago. Been making with them ever since and ever so fortunate. They had the recipe (I slightly bumped up the red pepper), equipment & know how and all have to do is bring some help and a handle of crown. We have a ball making it 4 - 6 hundred pounds at a time. Start at 8 and get done about 2 or 3. I know of others who routinely go out and make 20- 40 pound batches and I admire them.

As some on this forum are aware, my sausage is good, really good. It just is what it is. It is quite heart warming for people obviously enjoying it and asking where I had it made. Some find it hard to believe it is "home made".

Considering I cut up one deer for steaks and then make hamburger and the various sausage products from five or six more deer each year, I save in excess of a thousand dollars each year and obtain what I perceive to be a better product. This cost savings isn't even the real difference as commercial sausage makers either cannot or will not cold smoke their dried sausage and yes, it makes a difference. I have seen chiding references to my "complete the circle" assertions and fully accept others don't have access to a set up or just don't get it.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
. . . . We have been doing our own for almost 20 years. Grind, sausage, jerky, packaging, etc.

This right here. I used to get my stuff commercially made and from some very good producers. I got on a 9 pin bowling team in Marion and the square heads were always bringing dried sausage, cheddar cheese, saltines and sometimes pickles. Their sausage was better than mine. I asked where they had it made and they laughed at me. That was twenty plus years ago. Been making with them ever since and ever so fortunate. They had the recipe (I slightly bumped up the red pepper), equipment & know how and all have to do is bring some help and a handle of crown. We have a ball making it 4 - 6 hundred pounds at a time. Start at 8 and get done about 2 or 3. I know of others who routinely go out and make 20- 40 pound batches and I admire them.

As some on this forum are aware, my sausage is good, really good. It just is what it is. It is quite heart warming for people obviously enjoying it and asking where I had it made. Some find it hard to believe it is "home made".

Considering I cut up one deer for steaks and then make hamburger and the various sausage products from five or six more deer each year, I save in excess of a thousand dollars each year and obtain what I perceive to be a better product. This cost savings isn't even the real difference as commercial sausage makers either cannot or will not cold smoke their dried sausage and yes, it makes a difference. I have seen chiding references to my "complete the circle" assertions and fully accept others don't have access to a set up or just don't get it.

This just doesn't sound right Hud.....NOT AT ALL since 99% of the folks on this board are male. roflmao

Seriously though, the link you gave me last year was damn good. The seasonings in it were great.

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

This just doesn't sound right Hud.....NOT AT ALL since 99% of the folks on this board are male. roflmao

Seriously though, the link you gave me last year was damn good. The seasonings in it were great.

Will Rogers once said, "it ain’t bragging if it’s true".

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 02:22 PM

Im still open for any and all recipes. I just used the seasoning packs and japs and cheddar where needed it came out alright but i want people to make that expression and when they eat my food and ask for more !
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 02:50 PM

Stop bragging and share that recipe! We are all waiting for it. up

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 02:56 PM

I'd like to meet you and you kids someday Red.

Feel the same, just sure wish life would slow the heck down!
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 03:01 PM

I do 100% myself.
I like separating then packaging the meat into whole-muscles , and saving all the smaller pieces to grind.
The whole muscles cook-up nicer/ more tender as roasts, and cut cross-grain for steak cutlets.

I actually double-bag the meat in freezer ziplock bags, simply squeezing any air out. Lasts even three years this way with zero freezer burn.

I even pack ground/spiced breakfast sausage in quart freezer bags, pressed flat about 5/8 in thick in filled bag.
A little over 1pound fits into a quart bag. Store easy in freezer this way too.
Defrosts fast and I dump the whole square into skillet cutting with spatula into smaller squares for serving as it cooks. Fast/easy!

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 03:57 PM

Seriously

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 04:29 PM

It’s been posted I think… I took note
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 07:52 PM

Who has a good link for simply butchering a deer? Nothing fancy, just simple cuts...for a first timer!
Posted By: MikeD77

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 08:12 PM

Growing up in New Braunfels, many German families make processing/sausage making an event. While we no longer have the old timers with us, I have started doing it with my boys. Even built a small smokehouse I use in my residential neighborhood backyard. I was spending $500-$800/year on processing and got all the equipment I needed (including building the smokehouse) for less than one year's bill at the processors. Can't put a price on the time with my kids and what's (hopefully) being passed to the net generation.

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by MikeD77
Growing up in New Braunfels, many families make processing/sausage making an event. While we no longer have the old timers with us, I have started doing it with my boys. Even built a small smokehouse I use in my residential neighborhood backyard. I was spending $500-$800/year on processing and got all the equipment I needed (including building the smokehouse) for less than one year's bill at the processors. Can't put a price on the time with my kids and what's (hopefully) being passed to the net generation.

cheers Exactly what I tell my kids, just had this conversation with them last weekend. The hunt and butchering is only part of it, I'm also teaching them how to process their game, in hopes that someday they can teach their own kids & grandkids. They started helping me make smoked sausage, summer sausage, & fresh sausage a few years ago, so far they're enjoying it.
Posted By: MikeD77

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 08:40 PM

Growing up in New Braunfels, many families make processing/sausage making an event. While we no longer have the old timers with us, I have started doing it with my boys. Even built a small smokehouse I use in my residential neighborhood backyard. I was spending $500-$800/year on processing and got all the equipment I needed (including building the smokehouse) for less than one year's bill at the processors. Can't put a price on the time with my kids and what's (hopefully) being passed to the net generation.

cheers Exactly what I tell my kids, just had this conversation with them last weekend. The hunt and butchering is only part of it, I'm also teaching them how to process their game, in hopes that someday they can teach their own kids & grandkids. They started helping me make smoked sausage, summer sausage, & fresh sausage a few years ago, so far they're enjoying it.

Yes sir, we home school 4 of our 6, so I've actually been able to incorporate some "learning" as pat of the process as well.

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 08:43 PM

Yes sir, we home school 4 of our 6, so I've actually been able to incorporate some "learning" as pat of the process as well.

Whew, you've got your hands full LOL. Good on ya. up
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 08:45 PM

My buck this year got me 110lbs of processed meat. I paid $225.00. The only up charge I got was $40.00 for 10 lbs of the best breakfast sausage I've ever had. My back straps, tenderloin and rounds were tenderized, ready for chicken fry. Everything else, ground.
So without the sausage I'm $185.00 out the door on a huge doe I may shoot. Add in packaging, spices, a tenderizer............I don't pay people to do many things for me, but for this little amount of money and the time it would take me, I'll be in front of the fire with some Woodford over a scotchball watching the Cowboy game and having good thoughts of the hunt while Whitakers does in one hour what would take me 6-8 to do. For those of ya'll that do it yourselves, hats off.

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 08:48 PM

Seriously

Ahem . . .

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Old Smuggler

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Who has a good link for simply butchering a deer? Nothing fancy, just simple cuts...for a first timer!

Search Youtube for the bearded butchers. Tons of videos.

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 08:49 PM

It IS good. up

Re: Processing on your own - 12/08/22 09:02 PM

Follow the muscles.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Processing on your own - 12/09/22 02:27 PM

I just don`t need or want the practice anymore. I cut meat for 26 years and processed mine and my families till 8 years ago. I`ve had as many as 5 deer at one time in my refrigerator after a weekend of hunting with me, my son and grandson. I took my first deer to be processed in 2018 to JT`s Deer Processing in Stephenville and it was money well spent. The owner is a personal friend of mine who does a great job. It felt really nice to just back up and have someone unload it for me and I get to forget about it. I even sold my Hobart tenderizer about 5 years ago, but I still have my meat grinder since I grind briskets for all of our HB meat needs. I'm not saying I`ll never process another one, but it`s unlikely unless it`s a teaching moment for my grandson.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Processing on your own - 12/09/22 04:09 PM

I enjoy processing as much as the hunt. I don't have a place to dry age an entire deer but I did get a fridge specifically to hang game. I've often wondered if a meat storage locker with a place to process game would make enough to offset the cost. Probably not. In the old days you could rent a locker to hang meat.
Posted By: Elkivory2

Re: Processing on your own - 12/09/22 04:43 PM

I have always cut up my own animals, but used to take the grind to game processer for sausage, burger, etc. A few years ago we finally bought a grinder because I was tired of my grind being combined with other hunters' grind due to seasoning package requirements. I am very careful with how my animals are processed and the grind meat trimmed, Not everyone is as particular. It was a great decision.

Re: Processing on your own - 12/09/22 04:47 PM

I know a lot of people who only ever kill 1 maybe 2 deer a year maybe that makes it easier to pay. Growing up we would kill around 10-15 deer a year and several hogs etc. at a couple hundred bucks a pop that gets spendy for an already expensive hobby. We still kill the same numbers of deer and process together today.
Posted By: steventtu

Re: Processing on your own - 12/09/22 05:50 PM

I used this recipe and it was great!

https://honest-food.net/cajun-boudin-sausage-recipe/

Re: Processing on your own - 12/10/22 09:15 PM

Seriously

Ahem . . .

[Linked Image]

I just ordered a wine cooler for making dried sausage, pepperoni, and salami. clap

Think I'll try some Landjager too this year.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Processing on your own - 12/10/22 10:19 PM

there's nothing to it - just follow the muscle edges:
-

Re: Processing on your own - 12/10/22 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by oldoak2000

there's nothing to it - just follow the muscle edges:
-

Good stuff, thanks!
Posted By: The Scout Ranch

Re: Processing on your own - 12/12/22 02:26 AM

I do my own butchering of my deer. I my not be very good at it, but I am getting better with each deer. I also ate the meat for 2 weeks. I make summer sausage and jerky out of all the meat, except the Back-strap’s and tenderloins. I like the fact that I KNOW I am getting my own deer meat. Never quite sure if you are getting your deer or someone else’s when you go thru a business ( and if you get someone else’s deer you have no idea how they killed it, cleaned it, chased it or how long it sat before it got delivered to the processor). I am not trying to run down deer processors, this is just my thoughts about it, and why I do it myself.
Posted By: Erich

Re: Processing on your own - 12/13/22 01:45 PM

its all part of the process for me. From where it died in the field to where it lays on the dinner plate we do it all. even if i personally didn't shoot a deer...if someone in the family did then still get to get in on the cleaning and processing. Its work but its enjoyable. from the pre-season maintenance and preparation to the actual hunt and shot to the cleaning and processing afterward....if i was not able to do the cycle all the way thru i'd definitely feel like i was missing something. For the last couple years i've basically let my sons do the shooting and i've been their guide. I remember when my dad did the same for me. Thankful to have a good family place with good management and some flexibility to allow a couple new young hunters to enjoy what i enjoyed at their age.
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Processing on your own - 12/13/22 07:20 PM

I have a good processor I trust to give me my deer and not someone else's. That makes a big difference. One thing I did notice when I processed one this year and had him process the other: I got more steaks and backstrap meat from mine. I don't know if that means I'm spending more time at it, making steaks out of cuts that are marginal, or what. He ends up with more ground venison, so I suspect I'm using stuff as steak that he puts into grind. Plus he has better grinding equipment and likely can grind cuts I'm having to spend a lot of time cutting tendon and silverskin out of. I suspect I toss more than he does.
Posted By: howl

Re: Processing on your own - 12/13/22 07:52 PM

Not sure if this has been posted already. This is very similar to what I do but there're some small differences that appear to speed things along.

Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Processing on your own - 12/13/22 08:18 PM

I have never used a processor in my life.

I personally think sausage and jerky are a waste of deer meat.

I believe pork sausage is better and while I love jerky, i'd rather eat my deer meat in other ways.

I leave my shoulders whole for pot roasting.

I keep roasts off the hindquarter for grilling or slicing thin and frying. Backstrap, Tenderloins, and the heart always go on the grill.

The rest of the trimmings I grind with bacon, jalapenos, and cheese and make burgers. With the hamburger attachment on my grinder, my son and I made over 120 1/3rd lb burgers last year in about an hour. The bacon/deer burgers are my family's favorite way to eat deer.

So since I keep it pretty simple, there is no way I would consider paying someone else to do what I did. I guess if I was a big fan of sausage, I would possibly bring it in to a processor. We made sausage one year and it turned out really good. But still the general consensus was to make more burgers next year.

Re: Processing on your own - 12/13/22 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Red Pill
I have a good processor I trust to give me my deer and not someone else's. That makes a big difference. One thing I did notice when I processed one this year and had him process the other: I got more steaks and backstrap meat from mine. I don't know if that means I'm spending more time at it, making steaks out of cuts that are marginal, or what. He ends up with more ground venison, so I suspect I'm using stuff as steak that he puts into grind. Plus he has better grinding equipment and likely can grind cuts I'm having to spend a lot of time cutting tendon and silverskin out of. I suspect I toss more than he does.

Deer I took to a processor last month weighed 100# gutted and I got back 7 small, flat packs of steaks and 41# of ground for $126.00. I'm going to try cutting up the next one myself!

Re: Processing on your own - 12/13/22 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by howl
Not sure if this has been posted already. This is very similar to what I do but there're some small differences that appear to speed things along.

That's a great video. Thanks
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum