Texas Hunting Forum

Unbranched Antler Question

Posted By: 45NUTT

Unbranched Antler Question - 11/15/22 04:33 AM

I have a buck on my camera that is 5 points on the right side and the left antler sticks straight up without branching. But there is a brow tine on that side. Is he legal or not?

Attached picture 1668356971148.jpg
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Unbranched Antler Question - 11/15/22 04:36 AM

A brow tine is considered a "branch", so no, not legal.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Unbranched Antler Question - 11/15/22 04:51 AM

If the brow tine is less than an inch, then it is still considered unbranched. If it is more than an inch it isn't legal.

Re: Unbranched Antler Question - 11/15/22 05:04 AM

Thanks for the info. Need to know these things. clap

Re: Unbranched Antler Question - 11/15/22 05:12 AM

Another question. I have pics of one or two bucks that have broken their left main beam and G-2's off. Does the 1" branch apply in this scenario?
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Unbranched Antler Question - 11/15/22 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by 45NUTT
Another question. I have pics of one or two bucks that have broken their left main beam and G-2's off. Does the 1" branch apply in this scenario?

That's a gray area that has been debated many times here. I wouldn't chance it personally.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Unbranched Antler Question - 11/15/22 05:38 AM

Just read the definition of unbranched antler. The word broken is not included as somehow not applying. I’ll pop a broken antler old buck all day.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Unbranched Antler Question - 11/15/22 01:51 PM

If there is only a single point (the end of the broken beam, for instance), then it is considered legal. As Unclebubba posted, if the brow tine or a sticker over 1" remains along with the beam, then not legal.

BTW there is nothing grey about this. I've spoken to two wardens and both firmly said 'legal'. One of them was speaking about the 5x1 broken-beam cull buck in the bed of my truck.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Unbranched Antler Question - 11/15/22 01:57 PM

I've heard wardens say otherwise on broken main beam deer down to mainbeam only but have no verifiable proof that folks have been actually written up on it. I will error on the side of caution regarding this.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Unbranched Antler Question - 11/15/22 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

If there is only a single point (the end of the broken beam, for instance), then it is considered legal. As Unclebubba posted, if the brow tine or a sticker over 1" remains along with the beam, then not legal.

BTW there is nothing grey about this. I've spoken to two wardens and both firmly said 'legal'. One of them was speaking about the 5x1 broken-beam cull buck in the bed of my truck.

My Warden had told me exactly this, last year. Broken antler without another at least 1" point, is legal.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Unbranched Antler Question - 11/16/22 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Stompy
My Warden had told me exactly this, last year. Broken antler without another at least 1" point, is legal.

Since the presumption of proof is not on the hunter, this makes complete sense. There's no way to prove the deer wasn't a legal buck.
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Unbranched Antler Question - 11/16/22 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

True. Confirmed by a TPWD biologist a few weeks ago during a hunt orientation.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Unbranched Antler Question - 11/16/22 02:11 PM

Not legal
Posted By: ZombieGun

Re: Unbranched Antler Question - 11/16/22 02:51 PM

I have looked for this in the book but have never found it. I know B&C use this rule for scoring but I've never seen it in any TPWD publications. Can you tell me where you've seen this? I have a cull buck i want to harvest that has what i would call a bump or a nub more so than a branched antler. U
Posted By: jskin

Re: Unbranched Antler Question - 11/16/22 03:03 PM

As said, with a brow not legal. Broken beam resulting in just an antler that doesn’t branch is legal
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Unbranched Antler Question - 11/16/22 03:54 PM

This was legal.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: justchillin

Re: Unbranched Antler Question - 11/16/22 10:11 PM

I killed what would have been an 8 point, but 1 side was broken off right at the brow tine, which was about an inch in length. The only thing that made him legal was the part of the main beam had not yet grown back to an inch. Called and sent pictures to the game warden in my area. She said good to go as it was considered unbranched.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum