Texas Hunting Forum

Processor in NTX

Posted By: Gary Willmann

Processor in NTX - 11/04/22 12:25 PM

With PoBoys down this season and Bluebonnet no longer accepting game, I'm looking for rec's for a new processor this year.

As with most of us, budget friendly (as much as possible), clean meat, YOUR deer, etc. Would like to stay within an hour of McKinney if possible, and yes I'm familiar with Cinnamon Creek. Only looking to have simple processing: steaks, grinding, no sausage.
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/04/22 12:44 PM

Dry Creek Processing in Poolville is good, but I think it's more than an hour from McKinney.
Posted By: 7o8

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/04/22 12:58 PM

Always use Jeff and son at Ye Ole Butcher Shop in Plano. Not a bad place for lunch either! Ye Old Butcher Shop
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/04/22 05:57 PM

We always go to Hopkins County Food Locker in Sulphur Springs, always get your deer back. Great smoked and regular sausage. They are the regular cattle/pig Locker in the area. Probably right at an hour east of you.
Posted By: WESTTU

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/04/22 06:56 PM

Cinnamon Creek is trash

Try Hunter's Choice in Sanger! I used to go to CC but about 3 years ago they didnt butcher the meat well and ruined 3 deer. My family likes the ground meat and the sausage here much better. My only issue is they are only open during the normal hunting season and not during the MLD season.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/04/22 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by 7o8
Always use Jeff and son at Ye Ole Butcher Shop in Plano. Not a bad place for lunch either! Ye Old Butcher Shop

Love their food. Took a deer there last year. Didn’t hear back for several months.

Can’t go wrong with Kubys.
Posted By: BassBuster1

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/04/22 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by WESTTU

Try Hunter's Choice in Sanger! My family likes the ground meat and the sausage here much better. My only issue is they are only open during the normal hunting season and not during the MLD season.

Used these guys prior to learning to do my own. They are clean, do a good job, you get your deer back except for ground but he always gave me extra ground which was great and tasted fine. I enjoy processing my own now!
Posted By: Erny

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/04/22 08:53 PM

I do my own but have used cinnamon creek (tamales are excellent) and Kuby’s great sausage but I love there deer bacon.
Posted By: J Loves Huntin

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/05/22 01:17 AM

Look into Kubys in Dallas. Way cheaper than most. Have used 10+ places in the last 20+ years and they are one of the best.
Posted By: Bufford

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/07/22 04:15 PM

... but Kubys doesn't give YOUR deer back (I have heard)??? They do a mass processing
Posted By: freerange

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/07/22 04:20 PM

I used Hunters Choice in Sanger just last year. I’m not a real expert on which place may be better but they seemed very professional.
Posted By: lsbrim

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/07/22 07:45 PM

Griggers in Gordon.....amazing job. Spotless!
Posted By: Wreckem04

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/09/22 07:13 PM

I've tried all the processors in the DFW area and Kuby's is the best in my opinion
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/10/22 01:50 PM

Maybe a little far, but I really like Dan's Smokehouse in Peaster.
Posted By: reeder05

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/13/22 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bufford
... but Kubys doesn't give YOUR deer back (I have heard)??? They do a mass processing

I find this laughable…. How do you know that it isn’t your deer?

Not singling you out here Buford, but I’d love for somebody to prove that every single ounce of meat from XYZ Processing is their deer.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/13/22 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by reeder05
Originally Posted by Bufford

I find this laughable…. How do you know that it isn’t your deer?

Not singling you out here Buford, but I’d love for somebody to prove that every single ounce of meat from XYZ Processing is their deer.

I haven't been back to Kuby's in years do hopefully things have changed. I took a deer shot in N East TX there a long time ago just to be processed into meat cuts and burger, no sausage. The meat I got back was definitely from somewhere where they were grazing sage flats....there is a very noticeable difference in the taste of the meat. Heve been going to Hopkins County Food Locker since then with no problems....
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/13/22 02:18 PM

Gorman's in Terrell
Posted By: Kodyjoe2016

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/13/22 03:11 PM

Hopkins County Locker has my vote. Really nice people a. And they get it done quick. Hope to take one this week
Posted By: SemperFiHunter

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/13/22 11:51 PM

I 2nd Gorman’s in Terrell.
Over 15 years. Always been pleased with speedy service and excellent results.
Their jerky (beef or deer) is awesome!
SFH
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/14/22 01:32 AM

I have been going to Joshua Deer processing in Joshua, close to Cleburne on hwy 174. Great sausage, but not a fan of their jerky. Dropped off a deer this morning.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/14/22 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Erny
I do my own but have used cinnamon creek (tamales are excellent) and Kuby’s great sausage but I love there deer bacon.

That bacon is the only thing I don’t care for. Owner said they were still working on it so he gave a few free samples, they were bad enough I haven’t wanted to try it again.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Processor in NTX - 11/14/22 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by shooterwalter
Gorman's in Terrell

Originally Posted by SemperFiHunter
I 2nd Gorman’s in Terrell.
Over 15 years. Always been pleased with speedy service and excellent results.
Their jerky (beef or deer) is awesome!
SFH

I’m glad that place changed hands, I’m going to try them again this year as I need a back-up processor. They had a terrible operation the past 5 or so years and nasty [censored] sausage.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum