Texas Hunting Forum

How many deer do you see each hunt?

Posted By: spoon33

How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 08:01 PM

Trying to decide if a lease I’m on is worth it to renew next year. We have shot 4 bucks in 5 years. 0 does. We see a deer about 20% of the time at most. All the bucks shot have been good mature deer, it just is not a place the stay at. It’s mainly a cattle pasture with cows year round and a small section of woods by a pond where we see the deer. Lots of cover across the road and food so really hard to compete. We have a feeder up most of the year, just nothing else really to offer them.

So essentially how many deer do you see each time out and what are your expectations for how many you expect to see?
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 08:07 PM

What part of the state are you in?

I'm in Llano county. If I don't see a dozen deer in a sit it's a really slow hunt. At a couple of blinds, you can easily expect 2X that on a regular basis.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 08:10 PM

Great question, btw. On my small place, probably average 1-2 deer per sit, more in mornings than late afternoons. On the lease maybe, 3-4 a sit whethervmorning or evening. Ranchette in SW Young county and lease in Throckmorton county. Considering smaller sizes of each, I am happy with what I'm seeing; generally seeing a buck or more per sit.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 08:15 PM

Seeing deer for some is more important than killing them so it depends on what your looking for. We have property that we can easily see a dozen or more per sit with some big bucks mixed in but another that you can hunt for a week and not see many however a giant could step out at any moment and generally does. I hunt both depending on my mood but I do have to see animals on occasion or I get burnt out looking at squirrels and listening to that Boone and Crockett armadillo slipping up every evening. On a perfect place I’d say 2-5 deer every sit with some mature bucks mixed in with zero pigs.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 08:22 PM

I usually see 10-18 at the corn feeder stands. At my wheat field it will be 20-35 on average. Have seen as many as 74 in that wheat field. I'm south of Breckenridge.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 08:29 PM

When I hunted in east Texas, there were more days with 0 deer than with any deer. In West Texas, at least 10 a day.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 08:40 PM

Where at and how big is the property? With limited cover what is the chance you spook them out before you see them? Run cameras? What do your mature bucks look like?
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 08:41 PM

In Oklahoma, if I don't see 8-10 total I consider it a bust

Here in Texas, about 1/2 that amount...4-5
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by procraft05
In Oklahoma, if I don't see 8-10 total I consider it a bust

Here in Texas, about 1/2 that amount...4-5

In my part of Texas, if I don't see double what procraft sees, I consider it a bust. grin
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 09:20 PM

A normal sit at my place is 8-15 deer per sit.

That said, some stands are better than others.

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
On a perfect place I’d say 2-5 deer every sit with some mature bucks mixed in with zero pigs.

That’s how it was in Ohio.

No feed, only food plots. Saw 2-4 deer a hunt but you would see mature bucks every hunt.

It was different than what we are used to but was not unenjoyable
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 10:45 PM

Probably half dozen per sit, many times the same ones, especially the does.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
On a perfect place I’d say 2-5 deer every sit with some mature bucks mixed in with zero pigs.

No feed, only food plots. Saw 2-4 deer a hunt but you would see mature bucks every hunt.

I can hunt Texas for numbers over ag fields, I enjoy seeing big deer way more than lots of deer.

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I can hunt Texas for numbers over ag fields, I enjoy seeing big deer way more than lots of deer.

Agree. I would be happy with less deer if every hunt saw a whomper stomper
Posted By: Double AC

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 11:17 PM

I have seen probably 2-4 on average this season which I am happy with. Between whitetail, hogs, or exotics I rarely get skunked. My expectations have grown over the years though, when we bought the ranch it had been over hunted to the point that we didn’t get a single deer on camera let alone in person the first year. Now we are at 1 deer/10 acres and struggle to keep up with our MLD tags.

What’s your alternative if you leave? I would figure that out before making any decision.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 11:28 PM

15-20
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 11:32 PM

I hunt public land. Some days I don't see any and some days I see a bunch. At the end of the season I nearly always have venison in the freezer, venison obtained through glassing and stalking. Venison that has never seen a feeder and never been fed protein. Natural venison from wild deer and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Posted By: FTWshooter

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
When I hunted in east Texas, there were more days with 0 deer than with any deer. In West Texas, at least 10 a day.

Boy ain’t that the truth! Second year hunting in Gillespie county, I see about about a ten deer a sit. I see more in one sit, than I saw all year long, in most years hunting in east Texas.

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by FTWshooter

Boy ain’t that the truth! Second year hunting in Gillespie county, I see about about a ten deer a sit. I see more in one sit, than I saw all year long, in most years hunting in east Texas.

My first deer hunt was in east Texas, and old growth pine tract north of Huntsville

Very few deer and if you were lucky you saw a doe or two per hunt.

I hear populations have increased in the area though
Posted By: JCB

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
I hunt public land. Some days I don't see any and some days I see a bunch. At the end of the season I nearly always have venison in the freezer, venison obtained through glassing and stalking. Venison that has never seen a feeder and never been fed protein. Natural venison from wild deer and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sounds like your deer may be a little stuck up.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/25/22 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by FTWshooter

Hunt during the middle of the week during those final weeks of the season in East Texas and you may very well see more deer than you did on Opening Weekend. Once the season opens and all that lead starts flying, it doesn't take them long to pattern hunters and adjust their travel habits accordingly. Natural browse is far more scarce and the colder temperatures pushes their hungry button.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/26/22 12:31 AM

Used to see 15-20+, 4-6 bucks a sit down in Webb County on corned senderos. Also javelina, hogs and yotes and bobcats pretty regularly, damn zoo down there in high deer density areas.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/26/22 01:35 AM

I’d say I see on average about 7 deer per sit sometimes a few less but many times more. I’ve seen 16 deer A couple times mostly bucks late season.
Posted By: rickym

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/26/22 01:42 AM

Depends on the property, might see 3-6 a year or 4-20 a hunt!
Posted By: Stompy

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/26/22 01:45 AM

Sat this afternoon and saw 10 doe, 3 fawn, 6 bucks and 2 gobblers.
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/26/22 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by JCB
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW

Sounds like your deer may be a little stuck up.

Nope, just deer the way nature intended them to be. The same type of deer my father, grandfather and great grandfather hunted.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/26/22 02:53 AM

Occasionally it'll be a bust and we won't see anything. I'd say 80% of the time well see some deer. Sometimes just 1 or 2, sometimes dozens.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/26/22 12:14 PM

I see lots of deer most trips. Sometimes I see no deer.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: angus1956

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/26/22 01:25 PM

It depends up until the last 4 days I'd see 8-10 does and resident small bucks. Something has changed last night saw 2 does and one fawn. Rained hard all day Monday I thought they'd be out after being held up Monday. No chasing yet but close.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/28/22 02:13 PM

Sightings per sit vary based on a lot of factors but on average, I'd say I see 8-10 per sit, I've seen as many as 50 and as few as 0. We shoot roughly 30-40 deer a year on 1,000 acres....our neighbors don't shoot many deer 1 or 2 bucks a year is about all they shoot.
Posted By: YassirSanchez

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/28/22 06:46 PM

We hunt a 2k acre place in Eastland county. I’m anal about stuff like this so I’ve kept the records for the last two seasons of every hunter every sit.

The average on our place is eight bucks / twelve does per sit. On my the high end a couple of guys see 15/20. On the low end we have a couple of guys that see 2/6.

Personally I am on the high end probably third on our place. Some days second. My worst sit ever was 2/4 one morning when it was warm and windy with bluebird skies ad a full mon all night. Best I have ever had was 20/30 one awesome evening.

I started keeping records three seasons ago. But we had about 2/3 of our membership that thought it was ok to feed corn only from oct - December rather than corn and protein all year. Needless to say our numbers that year were nowhere near what they are now and we also have a bunch of new members that are team players.
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/29/22 12:48 AM

To spoon33. That sounds really slow. Do you use your lease for other kinds of hunting, such as dove, duck, or turkey? Any fishing? If it is deer hunting only, I would move on. Hunting anywhere is not guaranteed, and there is more to it than the amount of game seen, or harvested. For me, it would be hard to keep my enthusiasm, seeing so few deer.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/29/22 01:24 AM

I sure hope that was sarcasm brother phil. Averaging 20 deer per hint with 2/3 doe/fawns and 1/3 bucks is not too shabby.

I typically will see 10-15 deer per hunt, with about the same 2/3-1/3 ratio stated above, but this is on a 400 acre place.
I would love to create a 10-30 acre wheat field at some point, willl draw deer like no ones business, but for now have to
Suffice with several one to 1.5 acre plots.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/29/22 01:46 AM

between Zero and .5
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/29/22 02:20 AM

To Texas buckeye, my post was a reply to the OP spoon33 made, regarding seeing deer on 20% of his hunts.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/29/22 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Brother Phil
To Texas buckeye, my post was a reply to the OP spoon33 made, regarding seeing deer on 20% of his hunts.

Gotcha gotcha. up
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/29/22 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by hook_n_line

[Linked Image]

Looks like 2 of those pigs got tired and had to take a nap!
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 10/30/22 03:32 AM

I got skunked one evening on my place in East Texas this fall but have seen between two and eleven deer the other sits. Finally saw my first bobcat in person on my place one morning two weeks ago after seeing only ones on cameras before.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 11/01/22 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by hook_n_line

[Linked Image]

Looks like 2 of those pigs got tired and had to take a nap!

eventually they quit coming out after 4 or 5 ended up taking naps.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 11/01/22 06:26 PM

This past weekend it averaged out to around 14 or 15 each hunt between my son and I which is extremely low for the place we are hunting. Typically it would be 25-30 with over half being bucks.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 11/02/22 09:19 PM

Sat in 2 blinds today and saw a total of 6 bucks and 4 does, from 8 am till 1 pm. The bucks are trailing.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 11/06/22 06:19 AM

Where are you at?? I hunt 2 miles from my old lease where I saw 6 deer total in a season and sucked. I see 5 to 12 every hunt for past 11 years and we have shot some nice deer. Location and cover is everything in many parts of the county you are in.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: How many deer do you see each hunt? - 11/06/22 02:33 PM

My old lease in Mason I would see 15-25 every sit. On my 40 acres in southeast Texas by the house I've had 5 on camera since October 18
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum