Texas Hunting Forum

Jones County

Posted By: kylebryan

Jones County - 03/27/22 04:04 AM

I just bought a 138 acre place in Jones County close to Stith. Anyone have any experience with deer hunting this area? I’ve owned it for about a month and have yet to see any deer on camera but have seen some sign on the property. Just wanted to hear from anyone who’s hunted this area.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Jones County - 03/27/22 02:09 PM

I just hunted near Hawley this past season, saw lots of deer . Good area
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Jones County - 03/28/22 12:50 PM

Congrats on your new place!!

Good luck and enjoy it.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Jones County - 03/28/22 01:18 PM

Congrats on your new place! Nothing like pulling up to the gate!
Put some feed out & you will find out quick if you have any. As dry as everything is they are hitting feeders.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Jones County - 03/29/22 04:10 AM

Hunted dove out there a lot. No deer on camera? What's the cover like? If no cover don't expect any deer, just some birds. Plant a wheat t field if so to get deer.

What did the seller provide in the way of previous game taken??
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Jones County - 03/29/22 03:14 PM

Dead sea

Re: Jones County - 03/30/22 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckman
Hunted dove out there a lot. No deer on camera? What's the cover like? If no cover don't expect any deer, just some birds. Plant a wheat t field if so to get deer.

What did the seller provide in the way of previous game taken??

Lots of cover on the place (mostly very old mesquite, native grasses and brush) and a creek that runs right through the middle of it. All but about 30 acres of the property is mesquites. I finally saw some turkey on camera yesterday so thats a good sign. I have had a million pictures of hogs and coyotes on the trail cams though so i'm thinking i need to get a handle on those before ill really see many deer. The previous owner did tell me there are deer in the area and hes seen them many times on the property but thinks the hogs and coyotes have run them off. Plan is to plant some spring foot plots and then wheat in the fall.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: BubRay

Re: Jones County - 03/30/22 04:03 PM

Pen the feeders to keep some corn on the ground for the deer. those hogs are likely eating it up before the deer get their groceries! Great looking place. Congrats.

Re: Jones County - 03/30/22 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by BubRay
Pen the feeders to keep some corn on the ground for the deer. those hogs are likely eating it up before the deer get their groceries! Great looking place. Congrats.

Penning the feeders is definitely the plan. I wanted to keep them open for a bit so i could thin the hogs first.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Jones County - 03/30/22 07:34 PM

That many hogs will push deer out of an area

Re: Jones County - 03/30/22 10:25 PM

Looks like fun, you have something to shoot at
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Jones County - 03/31/22 12:18 AM

You will never be able to thin the hog herd, they are like fleas in that area.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Jones County - 03/31/22 04:52 PM

Nice! Pen those feeders and the deer should come. We hardly get any deer at our unpened feeders this time of year when the oinkers move in.
Posted By: Haskell Kid

Re: Jones County - 04/10/22 04:48 AM

Congratulations. We just purchased 220 acres in Haskell County and probably scrutinized your place when active listing. Similar situation with creek through middle and lots of pigs. Got two feeders running yesterday that are in pens. Watching a few deer now and hoping to see more as they get accustomed to em.

Re: Jones County - 04/12/22 03:48 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Finally got a couple deer on camera!
Posted By: ctonsmitty

Re: Jones County - 04/12/22 06:14 PM

8-10 hog panels per feeder---hogs will still come by the feeders, they just won't clean up the corn (they just get the few pieces that escape the pen)

Re: Jones County - 04/12/22 10:01 PM

Good pics, enjoy
Posted By: mickeyhft

Re: Jones County - 04/26/22 01:55 PM

Great for ya getting that place! You know, we never really had very many deer at feeders this time of year, they just have too much natural preferred food. Which always worked out well anyway, because it was hogs and turkeys we wanted at the feeders this time of year. So you've probably got lots of deer there! By the way, I am from Jones County area, mostly Shackelford, and I don't even know where Stith is! So you've got you a nice out of the way place there!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum