Texas Hunting Forum

Dropping Antlers

Posted By: KennyLee

Dropping Antlers - 01/01/22 02:09 PM

Doesn’t it seem kinda early for shedding? I’ve seen two bucks in the last couple of days missing a side. Neither we’re gonna get shot, but does seem early.

Both are young, 2.5 and 3.5 and appear healthy. Watched the little one chase a fawn for 20 minutes this morning.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/01/22 03:06 PM

It is not unusual to see a buck or two dropping an antler or both sides this time of the year. Just not widespread but not unusual.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/01/22 04:36 PM

👍
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/01/22 10:17 PM

Have had it before exactly why we dont hunt the late season plus dont want to shoot my bred does
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/02/22 02:26 AM

Saw a big 10 with good mass at the Mills county processor this morning. They had the loose antler taped to the other.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/06/22 03:07 AM

Found both sheds today in feed pen. Game cam series shows them both drop at 728 am on Jan 2. One of our good and healthy mature bucks. When I have time ill start a thread and post pics.

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/06/22 03:12 AM

Talked to my neighbor yesterday evening and he told me had just seen a buck that had dropped both of his antlers. Still had bloody pedicels. Northern Gillespie County.
Posted By: retrieverman

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/06/22 06:17 PM

I’m not seeing shedding in east TX or NW OK yet.
Posted By: Exiled

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/07/22 09:26 PM

Interesting, seems super early, at least from my experience. We don't usually see it in the Hill Country until early March.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/07/22 10:17 PM

I still have bucks dogging the does here and 2 small bucks sparring.
Posted By: BrazosHunter

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/08/22 01:34 AM

Bucks are still hitting the scrapes and chasing doe.. best I can tell it's usually late February/March when they drop around here...
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/08/22 02:49 PM

I got several pictures of what appears to be a 2 year old that has already dropped one side. I didn't have any really good close up pics to see if it was possibly broken or something like that but it sure look like he dropped it and if so, that is extremely early. Most of the bucks on our lease didn't start dropping until early March last year.
Posted By: Whammer7

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/10/22 04:07 AM

I've got one that showed up on film without headgear on 12/8, which seems early.
Posted By: Double AC

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/10/22 05:28 AM

Seen two on this weeks pull missing one or both antlers. A 3.5yr old and 6.5yr old who appeared to drop on the same night.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/13/22 02:59 AM

Seems to be happening about now
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/14/22 05:07 PM

Hunting woodcock at my deer lease in the piney woods on Jan 2 and my bird dog brought me three fresh sheds. Four bucks in my backyard this morning all with antlers still intact though.

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/17/22 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
It is not unusual to see a buck or two dropping an antler or both sides this time of the year. Just not widespread but not unusual.

stxrm, I'd say somewhere around 10-15% of our bucks in Schleicher county have dropped either one of both sides. Even a really nice 4 year old 10 that I saw almost every hunt and maintained his body condition very well throughout the season has actually dropped both sides as of almost a week ago. Last year when I got on the lease in March there were still quite a few bucks with at least one side still on.
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/17/22 04:39 PM

Got one on my game camera with one side missing and one with both antlers gone in Houston County on January 13th. Looked for sheds a little bit but didn't find any.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/18/22 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ringtail
Got one on my game camera with one side missing and one with both antlers gone in Houston County on January 13th. Looked for sheds a little bit but didn't find any.

Thanks for that heads up.
Posted By: speck5203

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/18/22 10:02 PM

IN Menard/Schleicher our bucks are dropping head gear at record pace, The deer are hungry because the freeze last February killed the acorn crop so they are not as heathy as some may look. We feed proteins/ corn year around, and when you have deer chasing your side by side because they know it has feed attached they are hungry. We watched deer come to the feeder this past weekend and antlers fall off. In the years past its been late February before they really start dropping.

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/19/22 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by speck5203
IN Menard/Schleicher our bucks are dropping head gear at record pace, The deer are hungry because the freeze last February killed the acorn crop so they are not as heathy as some may look. We feed proteins/ corn year around, and when you have deer chasing your side by side because they know it has feed attached they are hungry. We watched deer come to the feeder this past weekend and antlers fall off. In the years past its been late February before they really start dropping.

Yup

I got on my lease in mid March last year in Central Schleicher County and a lot of the bucks still had headgear.
This year they are about 30% shed out already and ate 320 lbs of cottonseed in my pen last week in 3 days! eek2

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/19/22 08:35 PM

None yet on camera at my place in Gillespie County. Deer are still in pretty good shape for post rut and dead of winter. Lot of winter weeds everywhere right now that perked up after .25" of rain last week. We get a little more tomorrow and they will stay lush for a while longer.
Posted By: wolfehunter

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/23/22 01:56 AM

Not unusual in my area.
Posted By: hawk

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/24/22 12:35 AM

None at my Sterling County lease. Pulled pics yesterday. Deer are hitting the feeder pretty heavy.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/24/22 01:39 AM

3 of my backyard bucks have dropped an antler in the last couple days.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/24/22 02:50 AM

I had a big 6 today chasing a young doe around the yard, wasn't expecting that but she was running around all giddy. All hard horned still.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/28/22 12:28 AM

My wife was out walking around today ans found this one behind the house.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Master Plumb

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/29/22 06:59 PM

Was at the lease this week in Albany 90% bucks dropping antlers found about a dozen or so just around the feeders.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/30/22 12:01 AM

Saw a dang good buck this morning in Nocona, full head gear
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Dropping Antlers - 01/30/22 08:00 PM

I love walking the feeders this time of hear , if I don’t find them my 4 wheeler tire surely will
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Dropping Antlers - 02/01/22 04:40 AM

I was visiting my Brother in Montgomery County this weekend. His neighborhood has a lot of deer roaming around all the time. Just about every buck we saw had one side already shed.

Re: Dropping Antlers - 02/01/22 12:31 PM

Starting to see a few more on our Schleicher County lease dropping. Went and put out cottonseed Saturday and found one side of a 10 that was a regular at my stand.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum