Texas Hunting Forum

Soda Ash???

Posted By: BlakeJ

Soda Ash??? - 07/15/09 04:52 AM

Has anyone used this for a deer attractant? What is the best way to put it out?

Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: Soda Ash??? - 07/15/09 04:59 AM

I thought soda ash was a natural scent eliminator???

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Soda Ash??? - 07/15/09 05:13 AM

I believe it is a mineral. Deer need minerals like the human body does. I heard that Arm & Hammer laundry soap has enough minerals in it that they will lick the ground where it has been scattered. Is it true? I have no idea but we will probably try it in some remote area. Most laundry soaps have soda ash in them because it is a water softener. I have heard about the 2, soda ash and the Arm & Hammer in less than 4 days!

Posted By: gary75758

Re: Soda Ash??? - 07/15/09 04:55 PM

sodium carbonate, deer and other animals will ingest it esp if the soil in your area is low in alkalinity. If you find sheds or animal bones that have been chewed on by other animals that can indicate low minerals/alkalinity in soil. so add a mineral lick.

Posted By: FETCH_UP

Re: Soda Ash??? - 07/15/09 06:17 PM

Hmm...interesting, never heard of it. Wonder where you could get it at?

Posted By: cody

Re: Soda Ash??? - 07/15/09 06:21 PM

My wife's got a bunch of hippy cousins that use it for tye dying stuff...

Posted By: wellingtontx

Re: Soda Ash??? - 07/16/09 09:07 PM

Some folks on the Missouri Whitetail Forum suggest using the following as a deer attractant, but it appears to be hard to find: ARM & HAMMER Super Washing Soda is 100% sodium carbonate.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Soda Ash??? - 07/16/09 11:28 PM

Quote:

Some folks on the Missouri Whitetail Forum suggest using the following as a deer attractant, but it appears to be hard to find: ARM & HAMMER Super Washing Soda is 100% sodium carbonate.

From the guys I talked to in Missouri they use this like we use corn feeders.

Posted By: wellingtontx

Re: Soda Ash??? - 07/17/09 01:47 AM

Yep !

Posted By: Eric Jorgensen

Re: Soda Ash??? - 07/17/09 01:51 AM

you can get soda ash at any pool store!!

Posted By: hornet527

Re: Soda Ash??? - 07/17/09 08:15 PM

used to us it on drilling rigs to mix with the mud-- might find a rough neck, (if there are any left)and see if he could lead you to a mud company

Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: Soda Ash??? - 07/19/09 09:21 PM

In taxidermy, sodium carbonate added to boiling water will remove flesh from the skull or bones of trophies to create the "European skull mount" or for educational display in biological and historical studies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_ash

Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Soda Ash??? - 07/19/09 09:56 PM

I can't imagine anything eating it. When it gets wet, it gets HOT. And yes, any roughneck or driller can get a bag for you.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum