Texas Hunting Forum

Want to see more bucks?

Posted By: BrazosHunter

Want to see more bucks? - 11/30/21 03:22 PM

I don't enjoy sorting through 100's of photos and/or video from cameras watching a feeder just to find the few of good bucks.. so use this gamecam placement tip to target more bucks on video or photo and far less of everything else that comes to the feeder.

The best thing about putting a camera on a buck scrape is that every buck in the area will eventually come by and mark the scrape to make his presence known..
I've had as many as ten different bucks visit one scrape over the rutting season and the activity level seems to increase as the majority of the doe get bred.
The vast majority of the scrapes are found along established game trails and/or along the edges of the woods.
Look for overhanging branches about 4 to 5 feet above the ground that have the ends bitten off or broken with a bare patch on the ground below them.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Want to see more bucks? - 12/02/21 12:27 AM

I don't believe your post is going to attract much interest around here where 99% of the photos that show deer were taken at a feeder. But I definitely applaud you for the effort.

Now my reply to your post on the other hand...

Re: Want to see more bucks? - 12/06/21 02:25 AM

Here's the results of watching buck scrapes insead of feeders..

Re: Want to see more bucks? - 12/13/21 12:07 PM

Mid December update at the scrapes.. It's been warm down here..

Re: Want to see more bucks? - 12/15/21 12:19 AM

I've never caught a buck napping before...

Re: Want to see more bucks? - 12/27/21 04:14 PM

Here's the next video in the series for the time period ending December 24th. 2021.

Re: Want to see more bucks? - 01/08/22 01:36 AM

here's the third video of watching the scrapes... Jan 1st thru the 7th 2022

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Want to see more bucks? - 01/08/22 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I don't believe your post is going to attract much interest around here where 99% of the photos that show deer were taken at a feeder. But I definitely applaud you for the effort.

Now my reply to your post on the other hand...

He is right. The feeder I hunt the most, there are multiple scrapes about 20 yards to the east just out of view from the blind. I can easily and have put cameras on them and get the same bucks that go the feeder a fee times without 5,000 doe pictures. Let's you know what is roaming out there.

Re: Want to see more bucks? - 01/17/22 03:12 AM

Here's the fourth video of the year.. same scrapes just fewer bucks than in the first three videos.. as it should be when the rutting nears completion for the year..

Re: Want to see more bucks? - 01/23/22 02:48 AM

Here's the fifth and possibly the last for the season.. not much happening and no big bucks..

Re: Want to see more bucks? - 01/31/22 02:15 AM

The final week of January and the season wrap-up. Pulled the cameras for the season.
Posted By: twdjr

Re: Want to see more bucks? - 01/31/22 07:33 PM

up
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Want to see more bucks? - 01/31/22 11:07 PM

always on the lookout for good looking racks
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum