Texas Hunting Forum

Montague County new to me lease

Posted By: PSE-Madman

Montague County new to me lease - 04/07/21 03:38 PM

We just got a new piece of land South of Bowie on the east side of the HWY. The property has not been hunted in five years according to the landowner. Hows the deer population, genetics, hunting pressure in this area? We have not shed hunted or anything yet. Just about to put out cameras this weekend.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Montague County new to me lease - 04/07/21 03:56 PM

There is a thread I think in this section on Montague County hunting.......the terrain and size of property will have a big influence on the potential as well as the neighboring properties.....hunting pressure is high....
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Montague County new to me lease - 04/07/21 03:57 PM

Lot of small properties around so it will depend a lot on that

Re: Montague County new to me lease - 04/07/21 04:28 PM

10-4 i assume it will. buddy down the road has taken a couple 50's and a low 60 in the past five years. he is on a small place and I assume we share deer. this property has hunters on one side that we know of. don't see any feeder pens or blinds on the other neighboring properties via google earth. I know that doesn't mean much. we are relatively small. just under 200 acres. ill look for the montague thread. prob should have done that ahead of posting.

Re: Montague County new to me lease - 04/07/21 06:05 PM

That’s a huge deer for montague county
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Montague County new to me lease - 04/07/21 07:29 PM

I have a pic of a 190 freak in Montague outside of Bowie

100 acre low fence

But yes, there are some good deer up there

Re: Montague County new to me lease - 04/07/21 08:30 PM

190 is a jumbo
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Montague County new to me lease - 04/08/21 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by PSE-Madman
190 is a jumbo

Very much so, lots of trash

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Montague County new to me lease - 04/08/21 12:15 PM

My place is South of Bowie but on the West side of the highway. I bought it about 40 years ago. There are good deer but, like other things not as good as it used to be. The 4 year drought some years ago hit it pretty hard.

Lots of unhunted or lightly hunted land so the hunting is pretty good but it is mostly dependent on property size and local hunting pressure close to that specific place.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Montague County new to me lease - 04/08/21 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
My place is South of Bowie but on the West side of the highway. I bought it about 40 years ago. There are good deer but, like other things not as good as it used to be. The 4 year drought some years ago hit it pretty hard.

Lots of unhunted or lightly hunted land so the hunting is pretty good but it is mostly dependent on property size and local hunting pressure close to that specific place.

^^pretty true everywhere.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Montague County new to me lease - 05/01/21 05:47 AM

Bucks avoid feeders like the plague here. I am lazy so rely more on luck up there. My best is a 145" and pretty darn happy with him. There are some freaks every once in a while. Neighbor arrowed a 170"+ few years ago. Usually see one 150+ on cam each year but you might not see a single legal buck while hunting. We now have a ranchette subdivision next to us but luckily they don't have a single tree.

Re: Montague County new to me lease - 05/01/21 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckman
Bucks avoid feeders like the plague here. I am lazy so rely more on luck up there. My best is a 145" and pretty darn happy with him. There are some freaks every once in a while. Neighbor arrowed a 170"+ few years ago. Usually see one 150+ on cam each year but you might not see a single legal buck while hunting. We now have a ranchette subdivision next to us but luckily they don't have a single tree.

I just don’t see why people would buy with no trees
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Montague County new to me lease - 05/01/21 02:42 PM

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum