Texas Hunting Forum

Protein Feed

Posted By: ctonsmitty

Protein Feed - 12/08/20 07:01 PM

OK sit back with some popcorn on this thread---

What are ya'lls experience with the different protein feeds available?

Have any of you experimented around your ranch filling different brands to see which ones are preferred over another?

Have any of you started with brand X and changed to brand Y? Did you stick with brand Y or go back to brand X?
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Protein Feed - 12/08/20 07:35 PM

Really depends on what area of the state you are in. I hunt out by Graham, Breck and Throckmorton and FMC 20% feed is the favorite of the deer on my lease for sure. No doubt. Have tried Rack Plus and a couple of others but they flat out hammer the FMC
Posted By: tlk

Re: Protein Feed - 12/08/20 08:27 PM

A few years back I got the ingredients to 4-5 of the best know feeds. I compared L&E, Purina, Double Down, MG, etc.

In my opinion they are all quality feeds. Cost differences I have not researched recently.

We used L&E for some years and were happy with the results but they started having delivery delays (we buy in bulk). So we moved to Dilley Feeds RHR blend a couple of years ago and have been please with it.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Protein Feed - 12/08/20 08:37 PM

Deer are ungulates and their digestive systems do not respond well to artificially induced changes. Pick one and stick with it all year so as not to mess with their digestive tracts. Getting the cheapest now, the one peanut based or the best later does no one a favor. Deer don't read and they do not know if its double down, L&E , 16% or 20%.
Posted By: Daddybigbuck

Re: Protein Feed - 12/08/20 11:36 PM

tlk

I saw on your 200" LF post were you mentioned you use a wormer once a year. Would you elaborate on this as far as timing, how applied, if applied as a top dressing (liquid or powder) to your protein feed or bought as a pellet and mixed with your protein. I have read about this before but never really found the details.

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Protein Feed - 12/08/20 11:49 PM

No problem - We feed our protein in bulk so every March-April we let the feeders get low and then get a load of wormer - it is pellets that are similar to the protein pellets - only takes one load and then we go back to regular protein - call Mumme feeds in Hondo or Dilley Feed in Dilley and ask them about it
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Protein Feed - 12/09/20 03:56 AM

I would take a look a www.Lindnerfeed.com we have been using it for years and what we see is unreal at times. We use the 20% and never change.
Posted By: Chris Burton

Re: Protein Feed - 12/09/20 04:28 AM

Thought about trying DDG (Dried Distillers Grain) this year. Made by Masterhand milling.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum