Texas Hunting Forum

TV hunting shows????

Posted By: KeithTT

TV hunting shows???? - 06/16/20 11:22 PM

Where do you watch most of your hunting when you have your down time to watch hunting? A certain TV channel "pursuit" "hunt"? YouTube? My outdoor TV? And what is your favorite show?
If a new show were to come out you want to see more killing less talking? More talking and in detail of how the hunt was achieved? Product promotion throughout the show heavily and basically watch the shows to see what new gear is out? Looking for a little poll here. What do you think is good outdoor TV and where do you watch it?
Posted By: freerange

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/16/20 11:47 PM

Good thread on this topic maybe a month ago. I almost never watch TV and all the shows they talked about in the other thread I had never heard of. I think they were Youtube. I dont like the ones with all the high fiving but Ive never seen any that dont.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/17/20 12:10 AM

I have very poor cell phone reception and am on Hughes Net for internet so I am only watching them on Satellite TV. I have 3 channels that I watch the ones about WT and Mule Deer hunting mostly...few shows on Pronghorns or a few other species of African Big Game with no WT or MD shows are on. If they are talking to much, talking to much about their sponsors gear every time they speak, if they play to crappy music during the hunting or just not worth listening to the "pro-host"...I mute them. I watch the shows for the hunting....not the talking or gear promos. If I am interested in the gear I read the credits at the end or go to their website sponsor page for info. There are some shows that should not even be on TV. I avoid watching more shows than I can list on here.
Posted By: freerange

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/17/20 12:30 AM

I used to really like a show a couple years or so ago that i think the name was Ridge Runners. They mostly hunted mountain states for Mule Deer. They did a lot of glassing and their optics always seemed way cool. What was interesting I could never tell the brand of the optics and they never talked about them. They seemed like really good hunters that hunted hard and smart and were down to earth.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/17/20 02:05 AM

I'd kill to have Pursuit on TV, Outdoor and Sportsman are good though. I sometimes like watching Major leauge fishing on Outdoor and Bill dance.
Sportsman channel seems to have more hunting than outdoor lately, plus outdoor channel has a few reality shows sick
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/17/20 02:53 AM

I enjoy watching the shows that focus on firearms because they usually offer the chance to learn something new. Hunting shows have never appealed to me because there's no fun in watching someone do something you would rather be doing yourself. I don't watch the fishing shows for the same reason.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/17/20 03:50 AM

Keith Warren is the best there is
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/18/20 03:01 AM

Sounds like you want to start your own hunting show. Do yourself and the rest of the world a favor, and don’t do that.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/18/20 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy

roflmao
Posted By: TSU99

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/18/20 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sneaky

roflmao

roflmao
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/18/20 02:09 PM

I was a big fan of gun it with Benny Spies. He was down to earth, it was entertaining, and he wasn't afraid to show he was human and missed.

I like hunting shows that are informational. Why are you sitting where you're at, why is that stand located where it is, etc. Not just kill shots.
Posted By: Blank

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/18/20 02:55 PM

The package we have shows Outdoor Channel, Pursuit, Sportsman, and World Fishing Network. I love having the DVR set to record all the hunting shows. That allows me to read the info, delete the ones I don't care about, and watch the others in fast forward, eliminating the commercials.
Posted By: tlk

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/18/20 03:20 PM

Shockey is by far the best show in IMO - real stuff and travels the world -
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/18/20 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
Shockey is by far the best show in IMO - real stuff and travels the world -

The production values on his recent stuff are insane. Would love to have those cameras!
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/18/20 05:13 PM

Meat Eater on Netflix and Randy Newburg on the youtube are the only two i can actually stand to watch regularly.

I watched a few of the Gunworks shows that were alright, but their quality of video on Hulu (i think i watched it on hulu) was as bad as video taken from a flip phone.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/18/20 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by KeithTT
Where do you watch most of your hunting when you have your down time to watch hunting? A certain TV channel "pursuit" "hunt"? YouTube? My outdoor TV? And what is your favorite show?
If a new show were to come out you want to see more killing less talking? More talking and in detail of how the hunt was achieved? Product promotion throughout the show heavily and basically watch the shows to see what new gear is out? Looking for a little poll here. What do you think is good outdoor TV and where do you watch it?

YouTube, I’m not paying for network constrained content.

I like documentary style content w/subtle advertising not infomercials
Posted By: redchevy

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/18/20 05:29 PM

Yeah I by far prefer youtube type stuff.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/19/20 12:41 AM

MeatEater is my favorite.
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/19/20 11:44 AM

I also like the "MEATEATER" show. Also Randy Newberg, and The Bucks Of Tecomonte"
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/19/20 04:23 PM

Meateater
Posted By: Daniel Boone

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/19/20 04:38 PM

Got tired of paying for the hunting channels on my cable so I cancelled them. I really enjoy following Randy Newberg on YouTube though, seems like a good guy.
Posted By: TWarren

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/20/20 12:17 AM

barf
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/20/20 01:23 AM

I’m in for MeatEater as well and Pigman
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/20/20 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
I was a big fan of gun it with Benny Spies. He was down to earth, it was entertaining, and he wasn't afraid to show he was human and missed.

I like hunting shows that are informational. Why are you sitting where you're at, why is that stand located where it is, etc. Not just kill shots.

Benny was the best to mix it up. Probably not for the old folks but he had the oldest guys he knew on there. Like many of us grew up. Had a lot of fun.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/20/20 02:09 PM

I can't think of one that stands out as being good enough to remember. Since dumping Dish and going to antenna, Youtube is my only option for hunting shows. Now I just do a search for something that I like, or might be interested in doing, and see what there is to chose from. Last time was Mule Deer in the Big Horns. I didn't find any good mule deer videos there, but it did take me to some good hunts in other areas of Wyoming and Idaho. I watch more for the scenery and the wildlife then for who is doing the hunt and their never ending blabber.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/20/20 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by TSU99
Originally Posted by Sneaky

roflmao

roflmao

Originally Posted by TWarren

barf

roflmao barf
Posted By: snake oil

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/21/20 11:36 AM

I like McMillian because he's funny.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/21/20 12:55 PM

Too funny, he's full of BS.
Called him out on one of his shows years back via email. Received a rude reply and he could care less about what I had to say.
Don't watch too many except last 5 minutes when they shoot something.
Now a days if your a pretty girl and can pull a bow you have a hunting show.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/21/20 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by snake oil
I like McMillian because he's funny.

McMillan is pretty funny
Posted By: jdickey

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/22/20 05:05 AM

As far as network, I try to watch Jim Shockey and Randy Newberg as often as I can. Recently, and because I am going on a Red Stag hunt in Scotland next year, I have been watching the Shooting Show on You Tube, which is televised in the UK. It has a good format with not lots of the BS so many shows get involved with in the typical U.S. hunts; it's just the hunter and the stalker going after a game animal. If it's a deer, then they also talk about some of the traditions centered around stalking a certain animal. Very enjoyable hunting method to watch!
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/22/20 09:42 PM

I have watched them all. The videography has gotten SO much better. Almost too good. I have become bored with most now. Just a bunch of Bubba , hicks who call Dinner , Supper bang

Gotten into the SALT WATER fishing shows, The bass shows are still bubbas who call Dinner, supper .

I love the boats

Check out "Living The Dream" you can thank me later
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/22/20 10:13 PM

Meat Eater and Relentless Pursuit are the 2 my son and I watch together. I also watch some of the Shooting USA and Shooting Gallery. But I often delete them without watching. Shooting USA covers some of the matches I've shot in or was an RO.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/22/20 11:08 PM

Deleted for politics, lol. I don't have the energy!
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/22/20 11:42 PM

I used to get up early on a Saturday or Sunday morning before the rest of the family and watch hunting shows for a couple hours. This was 15 or so years ago and haven't watched any since.
Posted By: DeCurry

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/22/20 11:44 PM

I enjoy Randy Newberg (Youtube, or Fresh Tracks on Amazon) and Solo Hntr (Youtube, especially the Remi Warren episodes).
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/22/20 11:51 PM

Randy Newberg is probably my fsvorite, on youtube and his Hunt Talk podcast too
Posted By: TCM3

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/23/20 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
I have watched them all. The videography has gotten SO much better. Almost too good. I have become bored with most now. Just a bunch of Bubba , hicks who call Dinner , Supper bang

Gotten into the SALT WATER fishing shows, The bass shows are still bubbas who call Dinner, supper .

I love the boats

Check out "Living The Dream" you can thank me later

argue wink
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/23/20 02:26 PM

www.youtube.com/channel/UCXP8XoI6xGyMsuwjC-lEePg
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/23/20 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

YouTube, I’m not paying for network constrained content.

I like documentary style content w/subtle advertising not infomercials

X2..
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/23/20 04:48 PM

Rarely watch any deer hunting anymore. If i catch a bird hunt I'll record and watch later. The only thing I record regularly is Pigman. My wife and I get a kick outa ol Pig and Dap.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/23/20 05:38 PM

Also hunting shows nowadays are 75% infomercials.
Posted By: Buccaneer

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/24/20 12:25 AM

That's easy - I've been watching hunting shows for over 30 years and by far the most interesting I've seen is "The Hunting Public". Primary focus is on archery hunting for deer on public lands. Most is Midwest states, but there is a lot you can learn that can be applied anywhere. Interesting personalities and very little product promotion. Fantastic footage and exciting hunts. You can watch on Youtube or download to Amazon Firestick if you have that.

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/24/20 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
That's easy - I've been watching hunting shows for over 30 years and by far the most interesting I've seen is "The Hunting Public". Primary focus is on archery hunting for deer on public lands. Most is Midwest states, but there is a lot you can learn that can be applied anywhere. Interesting personalities and very little product promotion. Fantastic footage and exciting hunts. You can watch on Youtube or download to Amazon Firestick if you have that.

They are pretty good once you get past the 80’s hair Band Flash back. They keep it real and on an equal opportunity level
Posted By: jnd59

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/28/20 07:46 PM

They are pretty good once you get past the 80’s hair Band Flash back. They keep it real and on an equal opportunity level

That's what it was. For some time I thought it was another kind of flashback. I did the 70s awful hard.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/28/20 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by angus1956

Too funny, he's full of BS. Called him out on one of his shows years back via email. Received a rude reply and he could care less about what I had to say.

Gosh I can't believe he didn't listen to you. How did he buy his ranch, other properties and keep getting adevertisers so they could afford having his shows aired?

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 06/28/20 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by jnd59

That's what it was. For some time I thought it was another kind of flashback. I did the 70s awful hard.

Lol, ya their message is unique in that the so much is public land. It’s a great message, wish more would pay attention. Don’t whine just go, hunt and have fun
Posted By: KeithTT

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 07/07/20 08:12 AM

Thanks for all the feedback guys, definitely great info and we see it the same way a lot of you do. We are definitely looking into what we feel is a very original project. We were beginning to wonder if we were the only ones who don't sit down in front of a TV anymore and watch hunting like we used to. YouTube, my outdoor TV, Amazon prime and other outlets have made it so much easier to watch on demand so you can watch your favorite shows and episodes when you want to, anywhere and anytime, and for a very affordable price or even free. We are also certainly right there with you when it comes to the product advertisements. It is just super stale to see these TV personalities advertising one product this year then next year they are plastering a competitor's product saying it is the best ever and I get it to a point it is business but we all know that if they can't believe in it why the heck should the consumer. I think at one point or another just about everybody who wanted their own TV show is guilty of falling into the pro staffer mentality and running around the woods with a hi 8 handicam and wanting every product in the world to let them be pro staff. Hey everybody starts somewhere. I believe the better shows/documentaries are the ones that actually bring a great informative cinematic feature that is pleasant to view. These are cameramen who actually study their craft, know the ins and outs of their equipment and can film it to tell a passionate story. Whether it's a kid's first hunt or a grandpa's last hunt. Not the hey they gave me $2,000 to promote this product and I'm going to pimp it for 30 minutes and shoot a few things. Season 1 of our new show Guide's Life begins filming this next coming week and we are 100% certain that we have found a great way to make a win-win between product consumer and people who enjoy real storylines and not just one paid personality that pimps products the whole time. We will do our best to try to update y'all along this journey. Again thanks for the feedback, any great manufacturer or developer knows the best thing you can do is listen to the buyers, consumers, or in this case viewers.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: TV hunting shows???? - 07/07/20 10:41 AM

I think at one point or another just about everybody who wanted their own TV show is guilty of falling into the pro staffer mentality and running around the woods with a hi 8 handicam and wanting every product in the world to let them be pro staff.

You just described one neighbor I have. As long as he stays on his side of the fence, more power to him.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum