Texas Hunting Forum

Fencing around Feeders

Posted By: polishpreacher

Fencing around Feeders - 09/24/19 07:28 PM

Im pretty sure it has been asked before, but i have an area around a gravity feeder that up until recently cows have left alone that i would like to fence off their access to. What i am wondering is if i put up electric fence, maybe 3 strands, would the deer avoid the feeder because of the electric fence or would they simply jump over it and not pay it much attention? I do know i plan on expanding from the original pen that was build with fairly loose 2 strand barb wire before i got there that has a VERY large oak tree that covers the pen. I would prolly be doubling or more the size of the pen to get out from under the oak tree and may actually plow around it to be able to do some planting even. Thanks for any thoughts!!!
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Fencing around Feeders - 09/24/19 08:19 PM

I believe most would concur you’re spinning your wheels with determined cows and barbed wire. Put up T-posts and some cattle/hog panels and be done with it.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Fencing around Feeders - 09/24/19 08:55 PM

As above, 8 hog panels; your done.
Posted By: jrfan

Re: Fencing around Feeders - 09/24/19 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Huntmaster
As above, 8 hog panels; your done.

I had to use cattle panels, my cows would go over a cattle panel to get to a protein feeder.
Posted By: krb017

Re: Fencing around Feeders - 09/24/19 10:07 PM

Electric fence does not deter deer. Use them on our lease. But I would just do the panel
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Fencing around Feeders - 09/24/19 11:30 PM

I would make it round...
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Fencing around Feeders - 09/25/19 12:51 AM

I have used electric fencing to keep deer off of food plots for years now with great success. It is all about depth perception and then height of the fence to keep deer out of a food plot. If I were going to do a spin feeder I would go with 2 wire setup and allow to go underneath the lowest wire and then over the top on the top wire. I would put the bottom at about 21"-24" and the top wire at about 36"-42". Make them both hot and have a great ground rod to ground to. Once deer get used to going under or over, you can remove the fencing and they will still duck under or jump over the where the fence used to be.
Posted By: TXRobTRX

Re: Fencing around Feeders - 10/14/19 02:41 AM

We just use the cattle or hog panels - try to use 8 and keep it round. Seems to work pretty good for us without too many issues.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum