Texas Hunting Forum

Creepy Things?

Posted By: captdavid

Creepy Things? - 02/23/19 03:25 PM

I know that many, if not most, of us hunt from blind/stands. We hunt from these some if not all the time. Many of these are on the ground. I'm sure that you have noticed that there are many creepy things sharing these blinds with us when we hunt. luckily it is usually cool and they are slow. That said: how many of you have been bitten/stung while in your blind hunting? I'm really asking about the creepy things, not so much wasps and 'jackets. capt david
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/23/19 04:26 PM

I set off a bug bomb once a month...... none
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/23/19 04:45 PM

Nothing creepy since purchasing my Ranch king blind. Seals up completely and I consider it one of the best hunting purchases I've ever made.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/23/19 04:58 PM

Never been bit, but this is the bad boy to watch out for:
[Linked Image]
Brown recluse.

You said no wasp stories, but they might be what started my back problems. I was 17. One of the previous group on the lease had left his Playboy collection inside an old tower blind. Of course, first morning on a new lease I just had to go to that one. Open the door on a warm morning and red wasps immediately dive bomb me en masse. I bail and land on my butt about 10' below. I thought I was dead for a second.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/23/19 05:00 PM

My deer stand is big proof never seen a spider, roach or any other living creature in there.
Posted By: djs303

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/24/19 03:00 AM

I use a bug bomb in my stands and then spray them with Demon WP. Anything that gets inside is usually dead pretty quickly. We have scorpions pretty bad at my lease and see several dead on the floor during the season.
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/24/19 03:01 AM

Spray 4 times a year with talstar and not a critter alive
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/24/19 01:24 PM

I have shared plywood box blinds that just had open holes for windows with coons, owls, buzzards and rats. None of these really bother me, you can see them easy and they will scram the second that you arive. Wasps will buzz you and you can decide to fight them or move on. But spiders are probably to biggest threat of injury, they are fascinating but creepy.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/25/19 04:53 PM

We have a couple of older blinds that are sound but not tight. They get bombed. Newer blinds are snug with no bug issues.
Posted By: pine knott

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/25/19 05:45 PM

We built a blind in a big oak tree with a metal floor and plywood over that. 2 different times we had giant rat snakes crawl out while sitting. It seemed the big rats liked it too as there were big piles of acorns. Another stand I had was along a wood line and the flying squirrels would get in. Scare the crap out of me moving around head high in the dark.
Posted By: Streater

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/25/19 06:26 PM

The reason I never install trap doors in the bottom of my stand, anymore, is that one morning, mid season, I stuck my head through the door, heard a growl and saw a mama bobcat with cubs. I'm surprised that I had time to jump.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/25/19 09:01 PM

I had a scorpion crawl across my boot in one of my blinds several years ago. They now get a dose of Talstar before season begins. Bonus is no spiders.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/25/19 10:48 PM

We use a no pest strip. No wasps, spiders only moths......
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/26/19 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by snake oil
We use a no pest strip. No wasps, spiders only moths......

Same here!
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/26/19 01:20 PM

Stinging lizards.
Posted By: jphunts6165

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/26/19 02:10 PM

Was in pop up early October and could only open one little window, (had an old doe would try to stick her head in and see if you were in there) so was very dark. Thought I got bit by a horsefly on hand and swatted it away. Went to sleep as soon as evening hunt was over because get bad. Couldn’t make myself wake up next morning( out of it). Sat in blind again in morning and realized something was wrong when release wouldn’t fit on arm. Waited till daylight, turned on flashlight and was sitting in a black widow breeding ground.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/26/19 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by jphunts6165
Was in pop up early October and could only open one little window, (had an old doe would try to stick her head in and see if you were in there) so was very dark. Thought I got bit by a horsefly on hand and swatted it away. Went to sleep as soon as evening hunt was over because get bad. Couldn’t make myself wake up next morning( out of it). Sat in blind again in morning and realized something was wrong when release wouldn’t fit on arm. Waited till daylight, turned on flashlight and was sitting in a black widow breeding ground.

Noticed that was your first post. Welcome to THF. up
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/26/19 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by HoldPoint
Spray 4 times a year with talstar and not a critter alive

Talstar is the bomb diggity.
Posted By: polishpreacher

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/26/19 04:25 PM

I recently bought a really good new blind....only downside has been that those Asian Beetles, the ones that look like lady bugs but bite, seem to have decided that my blind is their new favorite place to hang out. I think one hunt i had over 100 climbing around the blind before i decided to start hunting them instead of deer.....found out afterwards that they also put off a stink when smashed......for a while i got a daily limit of them every time i went to hunt....maybe that is why i never did get a deer this season......lol on a side note, anyone have any suggestion as to what will kill them? Even the freezes didnt kill them off. I had them crawling into my blind even after the freezes hit....
Posted By: Cast

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/26/19 04:30 PM

Spray the blind with Demon WP. It’s a wetible powder so it will last for years.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/26/19 04:53 PM

bug bombs are usually pretty effective

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/26/19 05:45 PM

Thank you Mr. T. Have always read just never joined .
Posted By: Coastalquacker

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/28/19 09:19 PM

My son and i climbed into a stand one afternoon. We were getting settled unpacking bags and opening windows when he leaned back in the big office chair to get comfortable. He jumps straight our of the chair and screams and turned to see a squirming, moving lump between the padding and cover. Out of the padding came a little flying squirrel. Thankfully it made it out of the blind quickly but our hearts sure were beating.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/28/19 10:08 PM

I know you said no wasps but...bout the time I was getting old enough to hunt by myself, I went with my grandpa to an extended family member's ranch. He dropped me off early one morning in this old wooden box blind about 6' off the ground with no ladder. Had to use the bed rails on the truck to crawl in it.

About the time it was getting light enough to see, I could hear a set of bug wings fluttering then a red wasp starts crawling up the wall in front of me. I cut his tail off then stepped on it to finish him off.10 or so minutes another shows up. Then another. Over in the corner there's a pair of OLD thick leather mittens hanging on a nail. These things looked like old boxing gloves. I slowly move it over to find about a 5" diameter red wasp nest covered in them red devils. I slowly unloaded my rifle and proceeded to jump down and sit at the bottom of that blind the rest of the morning. No stings, but no deer showed up either. A few years later, I got stung by a red wasp that locked my knee up for around 3 hours. That's when i found out i'm allergic to them. Couldn't bend or straighten it and swelled up huge.
Posted By: Papalote

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/28/19 10:20 PM

TICS!! Sat a box blind in Sonora. My hind legs started itching. Pulled off boots and socks and was covered up with seed tics might near the knees. Had to been thousands!! I give'm a bath in alcohol and scraped them off with my sodbuster.

Otherwise, just ringtails and mice.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Creepy Things? - 02/28/19 11:48 PM

I had one of the black and yellow orb weaver garden spiders that I shared a blind with out at Twin Buttes at San Angelo. For the first few weeks of bow season it would build a web about two feet from my face. It was pretty awesome to watch as the sun came up.

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/01/19 01:38 PM

I remember a video from a few years back of a guy getting in his blind for the first time in a while and a bunch of rattlebugs had decided to den up there. That'd be a pretty terrible surprise to find in a blind.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/01/19 01:54 PM

Dang, did you have to go to the ER to get yourself taken care of?
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/01/19 02:05 PM

Well, when we have spiders this big I'm going to stop hunting.

Posted By: lonestar

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/01/19 03:46 PM

Nose to nose with a ringtail getting into an elevated blind once. Couldn't get him out. Finally gave up and moved to another blind. Another time went into a tower blind early dark morning and had an owl in the blind. Me and the owl both were trying to get out! The owl finally went out a window.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/01/19 04:07 PM

Had an Owl try to get into a blind I was in. When you are 15 feet up on a tower in a box, you don't expect something to come in the widow all of a sudden. He circled around and tried again too.
Posted By: BubRay

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/01/19 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by CCBIRDDOGMAN
Had an Owl try to get into a blind I was in. When you are 15 feet up on a tower in a box, you don't expect something to come in the widow all of a sudden. He circled around and tried again too.

Had this happen more than once. Sure will wake you up!

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/02/19 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

We were about 50 miles from a decent hospital. I got ou a pen and marked the red marks on arm in a circle to see how far poison had gotten. Forced myself to drink until couldn’t handle any more. Then ate and after starting to pee and such I started feeling better. The red marks never got higher than about an inch above elbow. Hunting that evening and had amazing hunt. My dad has a 157 on the wall of his shop and had two bigger ones and him, at the feeder at the same time. Ha ha now days I will burn a blind down before I fight spiders!

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/02/19 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

We were about 50 miles from a decent hospital. I got ou a pen and marked the red marks on arm in a circle to see how far poison had gotten. Forced myself to drink until couldn’t handle any more. Then ate and after starting to pee and such I started feeling better. The red marks never got higher than about an inch above elbow. Hunting that evening and had amazing hunt. My dad has a 157 on the wall of his shop and had two bigger ones and him, at the feeder at the same time. Ha ha now days I will burn a blind down before I fight spiders!

My arm was still swollen and couldn’t get my release to fit on my arm was the worst part. Watching those bucks and not being able to do anything about it.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/05/19 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Papalote
TICS!! Sat a box blind in Sonora. My hind legs started itching. Pulled off boots and socks and was covered up with seed tics might near the knees. Had to been thousands!! I give'm a bath in alcohol and scraped them off with my sodbuster.

Many years ago a friend of mine had a family from France come to visit while they toured the US. To entertain their son, several of us took him pond fishing at a ranch east of OKC. While fishing from the bank, this French kid, who was wearing shorts, asks us in his accent what was on his legs. His legs were COVERED in seed ticks. Hundreds! And to make it much worse, so were the rest of us. Pretty funny site - a bunch of dudes dropping clothes on ground and riding back to house in our skivvies. I plucked dozens off me and I had the fewest of the group.

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/05/19 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by BubRay
Originally Posted by CCBIRDDOGMAN

Had this happen more than once. Sure will wake you up!

X2 those things are terrifying in the dark
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/06/19 10:40 AM

2 things come to mind. Got into a blind before daylight. When daylight came I found a rattle snake in it.
Climbed up into a box blind, about 8 ft tall, and a coon and I enjoyed each others company all the way to the ground.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/12/19 12:22 AM

While sitting in a 15 ft tripod stand during archery and wearing a gilly suit with matching head gear had a hawk land on my head. Nearly shxxt myself.

Last year I climbed in my favorite tree stand and as I reached the platform a very unfriendly porcupine was staring in my face from about 2 feet away. I used my bow to push him out of the stand he made an abrupt decent to the ground. About 15 minutes later after I got settled in the stand this pain in the neck climbs back up and onto the platform. His second departure was a bit more convincing as he decided to seek refuge in a tree about 50ft away.
Posted By: Struggle

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/12/19 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Flashprism
While sitting in a 15 ft tripod stand during archery and wearing a gilly suit with matching head gear had a hawk land on my head. Nearly shxxt myself.

Last year I climbed in my favorite tree stand and as I reached the platform a very unfriendly porcupine was staring in my face from about 2 feet away. I used my bow to push him out of the stand he made an abrupt decent to the ground. About 15 minutes later after I got settled in the stand this pain in the neck climbs back up and onto the platform. His second departure was a bit more convincing as he decided to seek refuge in a tree about 50ft away.

Why wear a gilly suit in a stand?
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/12/19 01:27 PM

As I have minimal camo around the Tripod platform I use the gilley for improved cover The deer on my place particularly the Big bucks have an uncanny ability to sense my presence which is minimized by the gilley!!! Although I still have been made a few times.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/20/19 12:06 PM

I've had run in's with Coons, Ringtails, Owls, Buzzards, and snakes, but the one I remember the most was when I climbed up into an oak tree before daylight during archery season several years ago.
I settled into my perch on that limb, and it was a warm October morning so I was wearing a T shirt, and just as it started to get light enough to see shadows I started feeling stinging where my T shirt met my belt line.
I swatted at the sting figuring it's those dang skeeters tormenting me, but the swatting seemed to make it worse.
I pulled out my flashlight and shined the light on the limb I was sitting and discovered I was covered in fire ants along with the entire limb I was on.
I scrambled out of the tree and dropped my drawers, pulled off my shirt and stood there naked trying to get the ants off of me.
That was the end of my hunt that morning.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/20/19 03:01 PM

Thought of another. Climbed up into a tree stand that was on the back side of a large oak overlooking a small clearing. The oak forked at about 15' which was perfect, you could sit in the swivel boat seat facing the tree and you could shoot between the two forks and you were well hidden.

About 10' up one of the forks it had broken off and was hollow, one morning just as it got daylight, I heard a noise, looked up and a coon had just came out of the hollow spot and the only way for him to go, was over me. I raised my 30-06 and clicked the safety off fixin to blow his azz out of the tree when he turned around, I tought he was going to go back in his hole but much to my surprise, he bailed out of the tree from well over 20 feet up. It was wild, he spread all fours and I swear fell slowly, like a parachute, hit the ground and was gone.
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/20/19 04:44 PM

two years ago I killed 75 yellow jackets in one blind on a cool morning. thankfully they were lethargic. Never in my life have I seen so many in one blind. I've been infested with Asian beetles too. They leave little red bite marks all over you.
Posted By: texasgal

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/20/19 06:14 PM

Many, many years ago: Dad dropped me off at blind in the morning, the blind was a yellow jacket nest and I am allergic to. Climbed down and was sitting on a cross beam when a rattlesnake came over. I ended up on top of the feeder for the morning hunt. Still laugh as I remember the look on my Dad's face when he drove up and I was sitting on top of the feeder.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/21/19 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Gacman
two years ago I killed 75 yellow jackets in one blind on a cool morning. thankfully they were lethargic. Never in my life have I seen so many in one blind. I've been infested with Asian beetles too. They leave little red bite marks all over you.

I have abandoned a few blinds due to wasps. Kill them and hunt it next week works.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Creepy Things? - 03/31/19 02:01 AM

The fifty something dude next door that videos us and has lived next to his creepy dad his whole life. No chicks knockin on that dudes door. As for the woods? Nahh. Just east tx woods.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Creepy Things? - 04/03/19 10:56 AM

Never had a problem, was walking in from stand and almost stepped on a rattler, never saw it, but only time I can remember jumping like Michael Jorda.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum