Texas Hunting Forum

So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning?

Posted By: Texas Dan

So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/29/18 09:53 PM

While it’s purely a matter of personal preference, there are those who prefer not to shoot and kill certain critters. It’s not something where someone can judge them as being good or bad for doing so, but simply a person’s right to decide what animal “they” prefer to leave alone.

At the top of the list for me is a doe with a fawn. Second are bobcats. No need to justify my reasons since it’s purely a matter of personal preference. Next on the list would be a fox, should I be so lucky to see one. Armadillos also get a pass.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/29/18 09:57 PM

Non venomous snakes always get a pass.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/29/18 10:01 PM

Only deer I am going to shoot would be a personal best. Otherwise anything larger than 20 lbs on 4 legs goes like yote or piggy. Rather my boy get his first buck the following weekend.
Posted By: JCB

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/29/18 10:10 PM

I wont be shooting a buck cuz I took care of that opening day of bow season. Grey foxes are safe to. Killed enough of those back when I was a varmint hunter. Really looking for a couple of big boars I have pics of.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/29/18 11:02 PM

No bobcats...personal choice, everything else has a chance of being shot!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/29/18 11:46 PM

I’m 98% sure I won’t kill a deer.

Not gonna say 100% because you ever know what may step out
Posted By: rickym

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/29/18 11:50 PM

A doe with a fawn, or a real pretty 2 year old I got a camera.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/29/18 11:51 PM

I wont be shooting at anything past 30 yards since I'll be bowhunting. Well, I'd sling an arrow at a hog out to 50. May get to rifle hunt if I get an invite to East Texas.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/29/18 11:53 PM

myself

i hope hammer
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
myself

i hope hammer

clap
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 02:52 AM

I’ll be shooting holes a couple miles underground. That’s it.
Posted By: DeleteThisAccount

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 05:09 AM

Might just be easier to say what I WILL be shooting at smile If I see a buck, hog or mountain lion - they're as good as dead. Everything else gets a pass.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 05:16 AM

I will not shoot a doe with a fawn this early. Unless the fawn is a button buck big enough to be on his own. Had that a couple years ago.

I will shoot a bobcat, coyote or hog.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 11:22 AM

Decide a long time ago that I'd shoot one bobcat to have mounted and was lucky enough to have done that 30+ years ago so have passed on many since. Saw a grey fox last weekend but don't think I'd shoot one of those either. Will shoot at any coyote or hog. As for deer, no does and only mature bucks that catch my interest.
Posted By: Jasb

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 11:35 AM

On the opener all pigs get a pass as well as most anything that is not "my buck". I live out here so I have all the time in the world to shoot pigs. The opener brings out deer that you never see so why mess it up with all the dang shooting?
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 01:47 PM

I know a guy who makes A LOT of ammo, so I shoot a lot of chit. When shooting suppressed and after a long 3-4 hour stand sit, you don't want to be a critter around my stand. Squirrels, crows, small critters, all become targets of opportunity. Hogs and yotes are always an immediate kill shot, no matter what. I shot and mounted a nice bobcat last year, so they will most likely get a fee pass this year, just maybe.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Jasb
why mess it up with all the dang shooting?

Suppressor!
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 01:54 PM

Won't be shooting ducks, season isn't open til the 10th
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 02:25 PM

this....

will very anxiously look the other way til he shows himself with some hardware...
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Jasb
On the opener all pigs get a pass as well as most anything that is not "my buck". I live out here so I have all the time in the world to shoot pigs. The opener brings out deer that you never see so why mess it up with all the dang shooting?
Same here.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 02:41 PM

I'll likely not shoot anything as it's my boy's turn for his first deer. He's now mature enough at 12 years old and has plenty of range time with excellent groups at 100.

I've never been this excited for opening weekend
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 03:15 PM

Anything...i'll be working....
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 03:25 PM

Everything. My son and I have to head back in town for his soccer game at 10, so we won't be pulling the trigger opening morning. Generally though, I'm not likely to shoot anything other than does and pigs.
Posted By: agsellers04

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 05:41 PM

I won't be shooting my grandad's cows as tempting as it has been a few times.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 07:36 PM

I won't be shooting anything with antlers unless I'm sure he's the biggest buck or the sorriest cull on the ranch. That's my goal every year.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 07:49 PM

A 10 pt plus buck...
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 07:57 PM

Won’t be shooting young bucka
Posted By: 270Sendero

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 10:08 PM

Porcupines get a pass. We seem to have quite a few. I’m almost out of venison, so an old doe or a Big buck might not be safe
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/30/18 10:44 PM

I won't shoot anything unless it's a serious boss. I don't even get serious about it until between Christmas and the closer. Everyone else is either shot out, more into football, or both by then. Hopefully I'll be out hunting in the sleet and snow. I love late season hunts.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: So what will you NOT be shooting at come Saturday morning? - 10/31/18 12:40 AM

I won't be shooting a deer unless it is a personal best and I won't shoot my neighbors roaming dogs no matter how mad I am. Bobcats always get a pass. If a coyote or hogs shows up they will get a .270 kiss.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum